Random Random Chat Thread XL

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
had to relieve myself yesterday at a public facility, I walk into the large room, many urinals - what do I see before me?

a bloke peeing from one of the leg holes of his board shorts...

is this acceptable public technique? ...is this acceptable technique at all?

ive never seen such a method.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
had to relieve myself yesterday at a public facility, I walk into the large room, many urinals - what do I see before me?

a bloke peeing from one of the leg holes of his board shorts...

is this acceptable public technique? ...is this acceptable technique at all?

ive never seen such a method.

Can it be equated to the old school footballer who would go down on 1 knee in the huddle, and then pee through the leg hole of his shorts?

I never saw this happen but have heard of it on quite a few occasions over the journey. Pretty disgusting stuff, but I guess dogs/cats/birds etc pee and poo all over the ovals when footy isn't on so it's not drastically different, and also why having a shower straight after each training/game is essential.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
So I have come to the realisation that it really annoys me how in the individual challenges on Masterchef that the judges all taste from the same plate, dipping their knives/forks/spoons time again into the same pile/puddle of food. Pretty gross.

We tell our kids to not share food as germs and sickness are rife in schools/playgrounds etc but they turn on the TV and see grownups sharing a plate of food.

The real question is why do they eat off the same plate for these but the elimination/immunity challenges they divvy it up?

First world problems I know.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
So I have come to the realisation that it really annoys me how in the individual challenges on Masterchef that the judges all taste from the same plate, dipping their knives/forks/spoons time again into the same pile/puddle of food. Pretty gross.

We tell our kids to not share food as germs and sickness are rife in schools/playgrounds etc but they turn on the TV and see grownups sharing a plate of food.

The real question is why do they eat off the same plate for these but the elimination/immunity challenges they divvy it up?

First world problems I know.

this creates interest!

you're Ok with the pizza savagery but not this

Hi lads. One of my kids is looking for an apprenticeship in the electrical industry. He has completed VCE, done his pre app, and has his licence. We live in the sth east suburbs. If you hear of anything or know a sparkie that may be interested let me know. Cheers.

Good on the young lad, can never go wrong with a trade.

If you have difficulties, your local Lawrence & Hanson might have a noticeboard with sparkies looking for apprentices.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Good on the young lad, can never go wrong with a trade.

If you have difficulties, your local Lawrence & Hanson might have a noticeboard with sparkies looking for apprentices.

Yeah thanks for that. we have pinned resumes on the boards at our local middies stores and chatted to electricians as they come through, although my kid hates that!

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Ah the dangers of phone headsets at work and not hanging up properly.

So like most customer service jobs that involve a great deal of phone work, here at my workplace we have headsets that are linked to our desk phones.
OH&S and all that is my understanding.

When you come to the end of a call you can do one of two things. Either press the little button on the side that will end the call, or wait for the caller to hang up. I often find it's better to end the call yourself as more often than not there are other calls waiting to be answered. The problem is that every now and then the little button on the side of our headsets here doesn't work properly and when you think you've hung up on someone you get the odd 'Hello?' or can hear stuff in the background. Sort of catches you off guard.

Well, today a bloke I work with has had to deal with a particularly difficult company rep of ours, who is a bit of a prick, and whilst the conversation was terse and short, sadly when he thought he'd hung up, he had not. Needless to say the rep then heard a numerous amount of very negative descriptions of him he'd never heard before.

Cue HR walking over to team members desk some five minutes later & dragging said employee into a room
Furthermore a company wide e-mail just been received entitled 'Respect in the Workplace.'

Coincidence? :p

Good times.

I'm watching Have You Been Paying Attention. The last guest quizmaster, Jo Weston, went to primary school with me and is going to the Netball World Cup. I didn't even realize she went professional with her netball let alone playing for Australia...

guess you..............weren't.......... paying..............attention

Does anyone here go camping? Not sure if it's worth a thread but curious what kind of setup you have and where you use it. e.g. tent, swag, canopy, food gear, electricity (solar? batteries?), bathroom arrangements...

Jan 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Does anyone here go camping? Not sure if it's worth a thread but curious what kind of setup you have and where you use it. e.g. tent, swag, canopy, food gear, electricity (solar? batteries?), bathroom arrangements...

I haven’t been for a while, but I’ve done a fair bit of camping.
My basic setup was: tent, sleeping bag and roll up foam mattress, gas cooker and cooking accessories, and a picnic table. A torch is also handy.
It really depends on where you want to go, and what level you are willing to “rough it”
Easiest is a camping site at a caravan park, where you will have access to power on site, and a communal shower/bathroom.
Next is a designated camp site around the State, where there will probably be a toilet, which is basically just a seat and a hole in the ground.
So your equipment list will be dependent on where you go.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Has anyone here built their own home? If so what are some things to take into consideration?
Things to watch out for etc? Any regrets or would you recommend it?

There's a lot of new homes being built here in Ballarat and some of the offers just seem to be too good to be true.
I'm just looking at it for now.

Cheers

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg

Define camping.

If we're hiking it's a 2-person (assuming you like each other) ultralight tent and a pocket-sized jet stove.

More stationary, as much as we can fit in the car. 4+ person tent (being able to change standing up is the goal), gas stove, eskies, a big open-air teepee canopy thing, comfy chairs and table, grandpas guitars, the works. No electricity beyond torches though, that defeats the whole point of camping (and makes you "that guy" on the campsite). We spend every new years up near the border with friends for a week or so and get a good little compound going.

The only constants are self-inflating hiking mats (if you can pick and clear a site they beat anything else), quality sleeping bags, good compact torches and a deck of cards.

Bathroom arrangements, just make sure you aren't reliant on digging your own holes.

Last edited:
I haven’t been for a while, but I’ve done a fair bit of camping.
My basic setup was: tent, sleeping bag and roll up foam mattress, gas cooker and cooking accessories, and a picnic table. A torch is also handy.
It really depends on where you want to go, and what level you are willing to “rough it”
Easiest is a camping site at a caravan park, where you will have access to power on site, and a communal shower/bathroom.
Next is a designated camp site around the State, where there will probably be a toilet, which is basically just a seat and a hole in the ground.
So your equipment list will be dependent on where you go.
Define camping.

If we're hiking it's a 2-person (assuming you like each other) ultralight tent and a pocket-sized jet stove.

More stationary, as much as we can fit in the car. Gas stove, eskies, a big open-air teepee canopy thing, comfy chairs and table, grandpas guitars, the works. No electricity beyond torches though, that defeats the whole point of camping (and makes you "that guy" on the campsite).

The only common denominators are self-inflating hiking mats (if you can pick a site they beat anything else), quality sleeping bags and good compact torches.

Bathroom arrangements, just make sure you aren't reliant on digging your own holes.
I didn't want to be too specific as I'm more curious where other people go and how they set up for it :) Hiking, 4WDing, "glamping", grey nomads, beach or river campers. I'd be curious to hear from someone who does actually enjoy camping in a caravan park, stacked in on top of everyone else... personally not sure what the appeal of that is but clearly a lot of people do it.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
I'd be curious to hear from someone who does actually enjoy camping in a caravan park, stacked in on top of everyone else... personally not sure what the appeal of that is but clearly a lot of people do it.
The appeal is other kids to occupy your kids, and vice versa.

Jan 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I didn't want to be too specific as I'm more curious where other people go and how they set up for it :) Hiking, 4WDing, "glamping", grey nomads, beach or river campers. I'd be curious to hear from someone who does actually enjoy camping in a caravan park, stacked in on top of everyone else... personally not sure what the appeal of that is but clearly a lot of people do it.

I’ve had a variety of camping experiences, including caravan parks. Some of them are great, like the one in Anglesea. Right on the beach, big sites with trees so you feel like you have your own space. And generally people who camp are pretty laid back, so there’s no dramas with neighbours.
The one thing it lacks is the campfire, which is the main event when it comes to camping I think.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I’ve had a variety of camping experiences, including caravan parks. Some of them are great, like the one in Anglesea. Right on the beach, big sites with trees so you feel like you have your own space. And generally people who camp are pretty laid back, so there’s no dramas with neighbours.
The one thing it lacks is the campfire, which is the main event when it comes to camping I think.
Went camping with an old fishing buddy once out the back of Eildon. First thing he does when we get there is grab his chainsaw and start cutting logs...big ones...piled it all up goes back to his truck...pours diesel all over it. Woosh...huge ass fire that burnt for days. Next thing 5 or so yabby nets into the lake. Fire and and feasting on yabbies happy days!

Jan 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Went camping with an old fishing buddy once out the back of Eildon. First thing he does when we get there is grab his chainsaw and start cutting logs...big ones...piled it all up goes back to his truck...pours diesel all over it. Woosh...huge ass fire that burnt for days. Next thing 5 or so yabby nets into the lake. Fire and and feasting on yabbies happy days!

Sounds like your mate doesn’t muck around, I like that.
I’ve been party to some great campfires. The best is when you get a hangi type setup and slow cook food underground. It is the best way to cook ever, nothing else like it.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Sounds like your mate doesn’t muck around, I like that.
I’ve been party to some great campfires. The best is when you get a hangi type setup and slow cook food underground. It is the best way to cook ever, nothing else like it.
Had a bonfire on the beach when I was a teenager...and now I would not recommend this....my bro in law built the fire with rocks in the bottom and a piece of gal down pipe placed in a way so it was pointing out to sea. We spent the night dropping used aerosol cans down the pipe. Boy when they exploded it was a huge fireball going about 50m out into the ocean...lol Pretty sure it would not work anymore as they changed whats in those cans. The good old days boys being boys!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
He set fire to his truck?! I'd have been straight outta there :fire::eek:

Back