Random Discussion Thread 141- Powered by <redacted>

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Club is flogging off most of the Premiership merch at ridiculously cheap prices, presumably to clear stock before moving to Lathlain. \

Just paid $30 for a hat, one of those mini replica cups, a stubby cooler and some bumper stickers.
Thanks, just got two hats, two towels, two stubby holders and a scarf for $60.

Inside Bull

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
Feb 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Drew Mitchell goes bang

View attachment 696206

I find it ironic how this has been playing out. If the media had not piled on to Folau for the initial post then there would have been a lot less spreading of the message which they were trying to condemn while Folau was trying to spread. If the media and prominent individuals such as Mitchell had not attacked Folau's GoFundMe page then there would be much less awareness of the page's existence and, as such, he would have undoubtedly received less funding.

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion but if people want to donate to the guy without any guarantee of it going to his specified cause and over those who are in a worse position then good for them. For all those virtue signalling that they should be donating to those in critical medical need I wonder how many have donated to those causes themselves. Any money any person has spare to donate is theirs to donate how they see fit. How many people go through GoFundMe to see how $50 spent on a carton, a restaurant meal or a bet can be better spent? I would say donating to a person you believe in is more palatable and more Christian than spending it on yourself.

Those who support Folau will only see the media outrage against his initial post and the GoFundMe page as something they want to protest against and what better way to do it then to throw a few dollars into the pot?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I find it ironic how this has been playing out. If the media had not piled on to Folau for the initial post then there would have been a lot less spreading of the message which they were trying to condemn while Folau was trying to spread. If the media and prominent individuals such as Mitchell had not attacked Folau's GoFundMe page then there would be much less awareness of the page's existence and, as such, he would have undoubtedly received less funding.

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion but if people want to donate to the guy without any guarantee of it going to his specified cause and over those who are in a worse position then good for them. For all those virtue signalling that they should be donating to those in critical medical need I wonder how many have donated to those causes themselves. Any money any person has spare to donate is theirs to donate how they see fit. How many people go through GoFundMe to see how $50 spent on a carton, a restaurant meal or a bet can be better spent? I would say donating to a person you believe in is more palatable and more Christian than spending it on yourself.

Those who support Folau will only see the media outrage against his initial post and the GoFundMe page as something they want to protest against and what better way to do it then to throw a few dollars into the pot?
Is the outrage about people donating to his cause or is the outrage about the fact that he is rich enough to fund his own legal case so asking people who are presumably less rich than him for money (especially when it might end up going to his church not his legal fund) is a dick move

Inside Bull

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
Feb 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Is the outrage about people donating to his cause or is the outrage about the fact that he is rich enough to fund his own legal case so asking people who are presumably less rich than him for money (especially when it might end up going to his church not his legal fund) is a dick move

Fair point.

I guess he knows a lot of people see it as an opportunity to have their say as to the changing norms in society and want to try to get the case decided in a way which will leave them satisfied and thus he believes it is their fight too?

Outside of that I can't see why he can't support his own case either. Maybe he thinks he has sacrificed enough? Maybe he wouldn't have that sort of money anymore? (At least sitting in a liquid form). It seems RA are ready to throw everything at him in the court system to have their decision upheld.

Either way I would certainly hope that he would pledge to give the excess to a reputable charity if he does win his case so I can understand that point but I do believe criticising him has been counterproductive so far and that will continue here

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Fair point.

I guess he knows a lot of people see it as an opportunity to have their say as to the changing norms in society and want to try to get the case decided in a way which will leave them satisfied and thus he believes it is their fight too?

Outside of that I can't see why he can't support his own case either. Maybe he thinks he has sacrificed enough? Maybe he wouldn't have that sort of money anymore? (At least sitting in a liquid form). It seems RA are ready to throw everything at him in the court system to have their decision upheld.

Either way I would certainly hope that he would pledge to give the excess to a reputable charity if he does win his case so I can understand that point but I do believe criticising him has been counterproductive so far and that will continue here
I guess the thing with his case is that people should have the right to have their own beliefs but then when it crosses the line into hate speech territory does he have the right to express those beliefs in a public forum? Like most religious people who sprout hatred he hides behind one bible verse to express his views but then completely ignores other bible verses which go against things he does in his own life. So when it suits his agenda he follows the bible to the letter but when it doesn't it'll be the same old line trotted out "everyone knows you shouldn't take everything in the bible literally".
So in other words I guess what I'm saying is f*** him, I hope he loses and fades away into obscurity never to be heard from again.

Inside Bull

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
Feb 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I guess the thing with his case is that people should have the right to have their own beliefs but then when it crosses the line into hate speech territory does he have the right to express those beliefs in a public forum? Like most religious people who sprout hatred he hides behind one bible verse to express his views but then completely ignores other bible verses which go against things he does in his own life. So when it suits his agenda he follows the bible to the letter but when it doesn't it'll be the same old line trotted out "everyone knows you shouldn't take everything in the bible literally".
So in other words I guess what I'm saying is f*** him, I hope he loses and fades away into obscurity never to be heard from again.

While I disagree with your opinion here in this post don't want to get into a sh*tfight about it.

I think it is fair to say that if the boot was on the other foot those on either side of the argument would be trying to justify the opposing position. I don't believe most people exactly care about the legality of the contract, their opinion on that is shaped by their beliefs about what he posted.

I should have made it clearer in the first post that I was referring more to media outlets like that trashy news.com.au which try to tell people what they should and shouldn't donate to like they are the arbiters of morality rather than wanting to express any opinions about Falou himself.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I heard Folau on the radio saying “My wife and I have had to pay more than $100 000 in legal fees” so he’s made a GoFundMe for it.

Now correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t he one of the highest paid players in the AFL during his short stint as well as being handsomely paid in rugby?

I heard Folau on the radio saying “My wife and I have had to pay more than $100 000 in legal fees” so he’s made a GoFundMe for it.

Now correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t he one of the highest paid players in the AFL during his short stint as well as being handsomely paid in rugby?

I saw somewhere they estimate he's earned more than $10 million in his career to date

Georgie 404

All Australian
Jul 4, 2017
Smollettville
AFL Club
West Coast
Hmm

C73E0500-2989-4692-BA2E-A97DF2B45707.jpeg

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
While I disagree with your opinion here in this post don't want to get into a sh*tfight about it.

I think it is fair to say that if the boot was on the other foot those on either side of the argument would be trying to justify the opposing position. I don't believe most people exactly care about the legality of the contract, their opinion on that is shaped by their beliefs about what he posted.

I should have made it clearer in the first post that I was referring more to media outlets like that trashy news.com.au which try to tell people what they should and shouldn't donate to like they are the arbiters of morality rather than wanting to express any opinions about Falou himself.
Doesn't have to be a sh*tfight, we can disagree and still have a normal conversation about it.
I do agree that the media taking the moral highground and thinking they can dictate to people on morality is ridiculous considering how often they play in the gutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back