Random Random Thoughts Rebooted

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the point. It doesn't.

It is about control and seeming.

Get language redefined, get people saying stuff they don't believe by rote and there you have it. A leftist wet dream.

Once you control language and meaning then you can control thought.

Few books written about it. Get them while you can.

As you can see by all those wonderful leftists now getting sacked that were avowed feminists for raping people and plants ffs they don't care and it doesn't matter.

It is all about control. We all have to celebrate diversity by thinking the same. Explain that one. This is a logical extension.

How about the terms , ruck, midfielder, etc. It's redundant and superfluous to add the word person as it is to add the word man when both genders play the game.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

The whole argument is stupid. Man is a derivative of HU man. Man traditionally refers to the human race, "man kind". Not boys.

Just crazy, leave it alone!
I remember seeing a comic strip once and it was god deciding what to call men & women.

He'd created man & an angel asked him what he'd call him with god saying "Man".

The next frame a smoking hot model so god proclaimed "Whoaa-mann!"

Anyway... offtopic.

It’s ******* stupid. If I’m watching a women’s game, I will cheer on the ruckwomen at every contest and would not bat an eyelid if I heard the word “ruckwoman” used. But if i’m watching the men’s competition, I will be watching ruckmen. And the PC folks can **** themselves.

Sometimes the gender topic in sport is actually meaningful (ie I love a debate about Serena Williams), but s**t like this just insults the readers intelligence. Women should be more angry that people actually think a changing of language is a rational solution to such a serious issue like domestic violence.

It’s ******* stupid. If I’m watching a women’s game, I will cheer on the ruckwomen at every contest and would not bat an eyelid if I heard the word “ruckwoman” used. But if i’m watching the men’s competition, I will be watching ruckmen. And the PC folks can **** themselves.

Sometimes the gender topic in sport is actually meaningful (ie I love a debate about Serena Williams), but s**t like this just insults the readers intelligence. Women should be more angry that people actually think a changing of language is a rational solution to such a serious issue like domestic violence.

Great post on every point, this is political correctness gone mad!
And you are so very right in your last point, how anybody anywhere could think just changing a few words will make a difference or even be a starting point in overcoming domestic violence lives in cloud cuckoo land.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big life changes happening come 2018. I'm still going to be a bloods member but doubtful that I'm going to get the chance to attend games given the new journey I'm going to be undertaking.

Bigfooty has been great since I joined many years ago and it is going to sad that I'm probably not going to be able to contribute as much as I'd like.

It is what it is.

Big life changes happening come 2018. I'm still going to be a bloods member but doubtful that I'm going to get the chance to attend games given the new journey I'm going to be undertaking.

Bigfooty has been great since I joined many years ago and it is going to sad that I'm probably not going to be able to contribute as much as I'd like.

It is what it is.
That's a shame mate. I really like your contributions to the board too. Reckon you're one of the good guys.

Hope all is well too mate & they are positive changes.

It is what it is.

Good luck mate and all the best with the new adventure. You only get one shot at life so you have to do what you have to do and go where life takes you. This year has been a massive year of change for me and I've missed a fair bit of footy but I'll always stay a bloods member. We might not go to every game or post a lot on BF but what distinguishes us from the bandwagoners and "woodworkers" is that once we jump on, we stay on. And BF will always be here for when you feel the need to have a whinge. ;)

Great post on every point, this is political correctness gone mad!
And you are so very right in your last point, how anybody anywhere could think just changing a few words will make a difference or even be a starting point in overcoming domestic violence lives in cloud cuckoo land.
I understand your thought process, but you are actually wrong... the first steps in any long term plan often seem bizarre or non-sequiturs, but as part of the whole are very relevant.

This is not a this week, this year, or even this decade plan. It's aimed at 20 - 25 years time, and at the generation of kids who are right now ten and under, and those coming through behind them. There are multiple aspects including changing the way we speak, the advertising campaign on TV and the internet, the spiel that you hear when connected to any government body on hold, leaflets, pamphlets etc. The point is to raise awareness, start education, and aim it at the future generation who have no pre-conceived ideas about political correctness...

Think smoking, the campaign started in the eighties and has now come to fruition. In 1976, approx 30% of the Aust population smoked, by 1980 it had risen to 35%, and the campaign commenced. It is now at approx 15% and falling... At the time the campaign commenced, we all thought it was ridiculous! At that we were heading to a Communist regime where the government controlled the people. But the campaign worked, and it involved a whole bunch of that new fangled stuff now know as political correctness.

Think 'casual racism', where a lot of the population doesn't even realise they are being racist. That campaign is only about 15 years, but the snowball (or avalanche) effect has now started to kick in, and it will hopefully move ahead in leaps and bounds.

Think 'drink-driving' and 'seat-belt' laws. In 1970, 3798 people died on the roads. In 2016, this was reduced to 1294, with similar reductions in injuries.

Think 'NTTAWWTter bashing', another campaign started in the 80's and 90's which most recently resulted in a change to the 'marriage' laws of the country.

On average, one woman in Australia dies a week at the hands of a partner or ex-partner. That does not mention the beatings, rapes, verbal and/or mental abuse that one in every four Australian women will suffer in her life time. NOTHING is too much to reduce these numbers and make it totally unacceptable.

I understand your thought process, but you are actually wrong... the first steps in any long term plan often seem bizarre or non-sequiturs, but as part of the whole are very relevant.

This is not a this week, this year, or even this decade plan. It's aimed at 20 - 25 years time, and at the generation of kids who are right now ten and under, and those coming through behind them. There are multiple aspects including changing the way we speak, the advertising campaign on TV and the internet, the spiel that you hear when connected to any government body on hold, leaflets, pamphlets etc. The point is to raise awareness, start education, and aim it at the future generation who have no pre-conceived ideas about political correctness...

Think smoking, the campaign started in the eighties and has now come to fruition. In 1976, approx 30% of the Aust population smoked, by 1980 it had risen to 35%, and the campaign commenced. It is now at approx 15% and falling... At the time the campaign commenced, we all thought it was ridiculous! At that we were heading to a Communist regime where the government controlled the people. But the campaign worked, and it involved a whole bunch of that new fangled stuff now know as political correctness.

Think 'casual racism', where a lot of the population doesn't even realise they are being racist. That campaign is only about 15 years, but the snowball (or avalanche) effect has now started to kick in, and it will hopefully move ahead in leaps and bounds.

Think 'drink-driving' and 'seat-belt' laws. In 1970, 3798 people died on the roads. In 2016, this was reduced to 1294, with similar reductions in injuries.

Think 'NTTAWWTter bashing', another campaign started in the 80's and 90's which most recently resulted in a change to the 'marriage' laws of the country.

On average, one woman in Australia dies a week at the hands of a partner or ex-partner. That does not mention the beatings, rapes, verbal and/or mental abuse that one in every four Australian women will suffer in her life time. NOTHING is too much to reduce these numbers and make it totally unacceptable.
I don't disagree with you but I can also see how using "ruckperson" in the mens game when ruckman would perfectly describe the player may get some backlash. I wouldn't mind the increased use of language such as "ruck" (as a shortened version of ruckperson) either. I think little changes to language can make a difference to how children see their access to the game.

I guess the parallel I look at is cricket & the use of "batsman". Strangely it's still used in both the mens & womens game to describe that role. Same as "third man" as a position is used in both male & female versions despite the fact they are women.

There are formal rules indicating such terms are to be considered gender neutral (I think). None the less, I do like the use of "batter", "striker" or simply "batswomen" in the female game as to me that is what/who they are & helps to break that traditional image of it being a male-only sport.

None-the-less, using the term "batsman" for a batsman shouldn't be an issue IMO. Using "batsman" instead of "batswoman" (or another more appropriate term) should be where we look at getting the language right first & foremost.

Ideally, as the womens game grows, gender neutral terms will become more prevelant naturally as we talk about both genders together more often.

I totally get your point and agree that anything that can combat domestic violence is a worthwhile plan, and yes it does start at children and teaching them respect - the advertising campaign currently running on TV is brilliant and should be applauded but we are the huMAN race not the huPERSON race and in my opinion changing a few words in sports is just political correctness.

I totally get your point and agree that anything that can combat domestic violence is a worthwhile plan, and yes it does start at children and teaching them respect - the advertising campaign currently running on TV is brilliant and should be applauded but we are the huMAN race not the huPERSON race and in my opinion changing a few words in sports is just political correctness.

Sorry to get slightly off sporty topic - but its one of my fave beefs that changing the name is 'political correctness' and is not effective - when the evidence is completely to the contrary. There was a study done re. changing foreman to foreperson. Prior to the change something like 90% of foremen were male - after closer to 60:40.. there's a LOT in a name. Although i do like ruck better than ruckperson;-).

Correlation does not equal causation. Would hazard that the change of name was introduced due to an increasing rate of women being employed as a foreperson and not the other way around.

Have to say that it seems that symptoms are being treated and not the underlying cause. Just my two bob.

Anyways back to footy chat.

I don't disagree with you but I can also see how using "ruckperson" in the mens game when ruckman would perfectly describe the player may get some backlash. I wouldn't mind the increased use of language such as "ruck" (as a shortened version of ruckperson) either. I think little changes to language can make a difference to how children see their access to the game.

I guess the parallel I look at is cricket & the use of "batsman". Strangely it's still used in both the mens & womens game to describe that role. Same as "third man" as a position is used in both male & female versions despite the fact they are women.

There are formal rules indicating such terms are to be considered gender neutral (I think). None the less, I do like the use of "batter", "striker" or simply "batswomen" in the female game as to me that is what/who they are & helps to break that traditional image of it being a male-only sport.

None-the-less, using the term "batsman" for a batsman shouldn't be an issue IMO. Using "batsman" instead of "batswoman" (or another more appropriate term) should be where we look at getting the language right first & foremost.

Ideally, as the womens game grows, gender neutral terms will become more prevelant naturally as we talk about both genders together more often.

Using the term 'batsman' or 'batswomen' or 'ruckman' is not an issue, certainly not a gender issue. You are still looking at the tree though, rather than forest. It's a step, and on it's own is stupid, not relevant, and won't make a difference. But as part of multi-faceted, multi-decade plan, changing the way we speak is necessary and relevant.

But, as pointed out, we are way off-topic...

GotTheGoodes deleting your own off-topic posts I see. I think I'm in love :hearts:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back