Preview Rd 11 Geelong V GWS Sat 25th May 2024 434 pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Paddy out, we don't have a really big bodied mid.

Rumours pre-season that Stewart would have time in the guts.

Stewart being tagged out of his usual influence at half back.

Is it time to give it a shot?

I think Holmes is the more logical move from half back.

We will need Stewart in defence for rebounding and interceptions. He is due a big one back there.

We will need Stewart in defence for rebounding and interceptions. He is due a big one back there.
Does Holmes have that "smash 'em out of the way" capability though?

I think that is what you need this year, with the way they aren't really playing HTB. It is making the huge mids like Cripps so dominant.

Holmes into the middle for sure.

He is the only guy with half a chance of breaking away and getting clear on the outside as a mid.

Atkins, Parf, Blitz, Bruhn, Clark... all lack speed and are inside players.

The middle mix is terrible without Danger or an in-form Guthrie who both are inside/outside threats.

The way our middle is looking, surely Holmes is destined to be a mid and not a half back going forward.

Get him in the guts.

I'm not saying that fixes all our issues... but it creates a better mix.
Without someone with that turn of breakaway pace in the middle we're cooked. Would very much like to see a Conway, Holmes, Bruhn, and Mullin ball up at some point.

I think it's getting to the stage we may have to try, and I was never ever a fan of the idea

I am not convinced Stewart's form drop is due to being worked out. It also coincides with returning from concussion and I did not think he was 100% against Melbourne. He was tried on the wing for a quarter against Port but did not get near it.

Holmes will likely get more midfield minutes before Dangerfield is back. Just watch him closely though as he's clearly preferred as a distributor / run and receive player right now, versus as a contested ball mid (what we're lacking). The main reason for this is no doubt due to his lack of defensive pressure around the ball.

Great when he gets it and runs - as we all get excited about that. But when the game is not on your terms and you need to lock down - I'm not sure he's the answer we're looking for.

I think Mullin will get more midfield time than Holmes.

Blicavs was never a huge disposal winner but wasincredibly effective with every little touch he added with and without the ball. This season, and the second half of 2023 that hasn't been the case. We have felt the difference. I'm not having a crack at Blicavs at all but he is closer to a C grader than the A grader he was in 2022, now. However I see him as a really useful option as a wingman who chops out Conway in the ruck. I feel his inside midfielder days are close to done.
I agree that's dropped off, and that we're worse for it. But I was more saying that I think spending more time in the ruck rather than less is something I'd be exploring as an option to get the best out of him. You're right that he was never a huge ball winner. And I agree he isn't good enough to be an inside mid currently. But getting 15-20 disposals is not acceptable if you're primarily a midfielder, but as a ruck that's totally fine.

He get's beaten as a ruck in centre bounces (although he's ok at neutralising, but not winning these contests). But around the ground he has a clear advantage over most rucks which is what I'd be trying to exploit. I worry playing him as a winger means he's just a slightly less good version than his opponent for the most of the game.

Yeah I didn't particularly like the idea of Stewart in the guts - but if they trained at all for it, then surely giving him a few centre bounces is worth a go, just like it is with Jezza?

Holmes occasionally in the guts is ok - but he is most valuable in space so I'd prefer to look to others to go inside mid.
Given our midfield is clearly an area of weakness, and Stewart is now being targeted and negated well as a defender, you'd think they'd at least consider it.

At a minimum he'll get free of the hard tag from a defensive forward for a little while which might allow him to get more involved.

I am not convinced Stewart's form drop is due to being worked out. It also coincides with returning from concussion and I did not think he was 100% against Melbourne. He was tried on the wing for a quarter against Port but did not get near it.
I worry about that and also worry about how jez and SDK were not the same coming back from their head knocks last year. Jez coming off concussion they should only play if they are certain, if not tell him to chase his cows around for another week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm down for trying Stewy in the midfield.

Zuthrie has more than held his own as an interceptor and can play that role fine (did it when Stewy was out)
Don't see why we would be opposed to trying things.

That's exactly what we did in 2022 and our motto.

"Lets not swim between the flags, lets drag them out into open water and take some risks"

Lot's of chat in here about the players, but personally I think the next few moves from C Scott will be just as intriguing.

In 2022 the so-called experts took a while to cotton on to what Geelong were doing with Stanley and Blicavs. The way Geelong used both players, and effectively had a tall dropping straight back after stoppages as an extra defender was one of our key strengths. Blicavs and Stanley were mobile big men and could do it better than most opposition talls.

It's the middle of May, and probably too early to pull out trump cards and key positional moves. When Dangerfield returns / Guthrie clicks up a gear, I think we'll see some tinkering. Blicavs and Holmes will no doubt be part of that - possibly Stanley as well (don't laugh).

Experts are starting to call out the extra pressure our defence is under in recent weeks. That's easily rectified if Blicavs is deployed back to his roaming role and merely being a second string ruckman and less midfield minutes. If Stanley / Conway (both mobile) can play their part, I still think that's an ace up our sleeve that most other sides don't have.

As it stands there are only 3-4 missing from our 2022 premiership team to (arguably) our current best 22. Jeds Bews / Joel Selwood / Isaac Smith. Dangerfield obviously injured but will be back - Guthrie back from a long layoff. Offset that with the 2024 versions of Miers and Holmes - the injection of Bruhn - and I'm not sure we need major changes before things get back on track.

Probably worth a shot. Though he's a 5-time All Australian defender, I'd prefer to give him a role on a dangerous forward like Greene, maybe drag the tag with him early on to free up another of our defenders like Zuthrie.

Which is where I think he'll do well. He's natural in attack
I'm a huge fan of Mullin, but playing him as an attacking midfielder..? I mean maybe some day. I don't think that day will be Saturday though. We're still to really see him demand the ball on the outside to use his speed on the attack. I'm hoping that will come. In the meantime give him jobs where he can really frustrate opponents with his physical attributes and gain confidence playing at the highest level.

Does Holmes have that "smash 'em out of the way" capability though?

I think that is what you need this year, with the way they aren't really playing HTB. It is making the huge mids like Cripps so dominant.

I think that 'capability' is overrated. We haven't been getting beaten for clearances or contested possessions. We've been beaten on the spread, and the midfielder's work away from stoppage.

I'm a huge fan of Mullin, but playing him as an attacking midfielder..? I mean maybe some day. I don't think that day will be Saturday though. We're still to really see him demand the ball on the outside to use his speed on the attack. I'm hoping that will come. In the meantime give him jobs where he can really frustrate opponents with his physical attributes and gain confidence playing at the highest level.
I'm not saying do it all day, I'm saying give it a go early for a couple of rotations and move him to tag or swap him at half back with Holmes if it isn't working.

I still don’t understand the point tbh. Name one player in the league who can’t play 2 games in a row
I don't think it's got anything to do with whether he can or can't. They are just being ultra conservative with his exposure. Young ruckmen can be particularly susceptible to injuries, so they want to set him up for a long career.

I don't think it's got anything to do with whether he can or can't. They are just being ultra conservative with his exposure. Young ruckmen can be particularly susceptible to injuries, so they want to set him up for a long career.

Fair enough. Maybe I’m on my own here but I think it’s madness to say we can’t play this player 2 games in a row cos we are scared he might get hurt. Never seen it in my life. In saying that I think he plays this week and beyond anyway

it's odd that people haven't put together that Geelong play badly when Duncan is a) playing well below his usual level or b) missing altogether. Boy are they quick to jump on him when he falters, but when normal business resumes there are crickets.

Dropping him would be tantamount to forfeiting the season. We have no other distributor from half back at his level. Someone like Mullin or Humprhies should replace Tuohy, not Duncan. Stewart has not looked at all when Duncan has not been rolling at a high level. Our defence for all of 2023 struggled on transitions without him (he spent the whole season on the wing; ill fitted at his age for a role requiring agility).

I wonder whether people are going to cotton on to this at any stage.
I am not as high on his 2024 contribution as you are - but I have to say I am largely in agreement.

I posted a number of weeks ago that I have mixed views on Duncan. On the positive, it is what you point out. Duncan is one of our best distributors and no doubt a strong leader when out there with his experience. I don’t see how we can contend without Duncan in the team.

My confusion comes in that I think when you pair him with Hawkins, 2E, Stanley, Blitz and even Jezza and Rohan (who still has speed near contests but doesn’t “fill gaps”) we can get open up in terms of our team defence. They just don’t work hard enough (even when trying they don’t have the capacity) to fill the gaps in Zone defence. We can’t have a third of our team not working on that team defence with “youthful intensity”.

Now that is not Duncan in isolation…it is him as a collective. So that turns me to where else I agree with you on…I would have Duncan in the team ahead of 2E and actually ahead of Rohan. Whilst I love the “scary” Rohan and it is additive in terms of chase down pressure, we get all his offensive capabilities (including crashing packs) in O Henry… 2E also can look good (experience, strong in the tackle etc) and is still putting in the sprints and KMs, but his defensive efforts are now weak in my view and hurt us.

All in All I would still have Duncan in our best 23 - but play him behind the ball (where less running team defence required)…that might also free up Holmes (I know different players) to go much more in the MF who needs what Holmes can bring.

Possibly…but I am yet to see it work for more than a surprise pinch hit…. But worth a try maybe.

I think we need Holmes as the best answer to Paddy - of course not the same body strength but his explosion once he gets it is “paddy like” and what our one paced MF needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back