Preview Rd 11 Geelong V GWS Sat 25th May 2024 434 pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that's dropped off, and that we're worse for it. But I was more saying that I think spending more time in the ruck rather than less is something I'd be exploring as an option to get the best out of him. You're right that he was never a huge ball winner. And I agree he isn't good enough to be an inside mid currently. But getting 15-20 disposals is not acceptable if you're primarily a midfielder, but as a ruck that's totally fine.

He get's beaten as a ruck in centre bounces (although he's ok at neutralising, but not winning these contests). But around the ground he has a clear advantage over most rucks which is what I'd be trying to exploit. I worry playing him as a winger means he's just a slightly less good version than his opponent for the most of the game.
I think the theory of him as a winger was that he could drift forward and cause damage on an mis match. It actually makes sense and sometimes looked like it would work - but it hasn’t often enough in my view for them to persist. Issue for me is that he has been less effective I think in the centre square as a midfielder to…so where to we put him?

I like him in the Ruck but should he be full time? I suppose I just asked the same question you did!

Fair enough. Maybe I’m on my own here but I think it’s madness to say we can’t play this player 2 games in a row cos we are scared he might get hurt. Never seen it in my life. In saying that I think he plays this week and beyond anyway
He's just spent 2 years injured. Bit unique there and not surprisingly they'd be conservative. I wouldn't be surprised either way though given he ran out the Darwin game pretty well, but also the Darwin game would've been pretty taxing

I think the theory of him as a winger was that he could drift forward and cause damage on an mis match. It actually makes sense and sometimes looked like it would work - but it hasn’t often enough in my view for them to persist. Issue for me is that he has been less effective I think in the centre square as a midfielder to…so where to we put him?

I like him in the Ruck but should he be full time? I suppose I just asked the same question you did!

It’s risky having him as our only ruck. So,
I’d start by playing him in tandem with Conway as our first choice combo, given they seem to want to expose Conway anyway and he’ll at least get more ruck time that way than playing with Stanley (due to Conway playing less ToG%).

But I wouldn’t be opposed to playing him solo on the weeks where Conway needs a rest to see how it goes. The other left field option is as a defender/ruck if they decide they need to drop Henry, but I think that’s unlikely.

Buckley out is helpful for us, he would have very likely taken Jez and is a very good defender…
Looks helpful for us on paper, I agree. Just like the team they brought down to the Cattery in 2021 looked massively undermanned and totally there for the taking. And they embarrassed us for effort for basically the entire game and won easily...

So I really hope our team is seeing no advantage in their apparently weakened line-up for this weekend. Because if we're banking on that as a key part of our strategy for success in this game, we will be sorely disappointed (and humiliated) by the time the final siren sounds.

Looks helpful for us on paper, I agree. Just like the team they brought down to the Cattery in 2021 looked massively undermanned and totally there for the taking. And they embarrassed us for effort for basically the entire game and won easily...

So I really hope our team is seeing no advantage in their apparently weakened line-up for this weekend. Because if we're banking on that as a key part of our strategy for success in this game, we will be sorely disappointed (and humiliated) by the time the final siren sounds.
Hard to believe the team would see that as a strategy. We are going to knock this mob off. We are getting a good break and not playing in that ridiculous weather.

So early meat tray made more difficult by a “test” and a “tbc” to two players who would be straight in - no doubt.

This week I do NOT think the club is thinking “management” - they will pick best 23 available. (That is not to say they might say they are managed and hold one or two back from VFL given just before)…

I would have had Dempsey managed this week along with a defender (Kolo or Henry) but I am now thinking no management…

I am going to guess that SDK passes his test but that they are conservative on Jezza (I hope I am wrong!)

So…. Ins…. Hawkins, Duncan, SDK

Out. Clark, Neale (both stiff), 2E

I spent ages arguing (with myself) on the last out. The first two are stiff but I just think they drop the youth in areas that we have lots of players. I think with SDK and Duncan back we also drop a backmen and I tossed up whether they would given J Henry a “rest” after a couple of poor games. They may well do this for team structure?

I went with 2E (as it is what I would do) but not with conviction - they may very well “manage” Jack.

If Jezza comes up for the game then I think they take out both 2E and Jack…

I think Rohan to sub unless they put atkins/parf in that role.

I don’t expect this week that we have any “new” people back in…we have Richmond the following week to manage a bunch of players (none of which will want to be managed against that easy kill!) and bring in Lawson (for Holmes?) and Mannagh (for Dempsey or another small forward)….but that is not this week

Every top 8 team has multiple issues this year
Look at gws.
Right now only Sydney and Essendon look in good knick, Essendon obviously a step down from Sydney but both teams only a couple of injuries away from a drop off, which is exactly why Collingwood and the Lions started so slow, and why Geelong/GWS/Melbourne have dropped off the last 3/2 weeks.

Funny how strong WCEs forwardline looked when Lever went off injured and May couldn't cover everyone. May and Lever were 2 of the best 3 for Melbourne against us, if Lever had gone off early in that match like he did against WCE, Hawkins or Cameron get off the chain and kick a few goals and we win.

Weird that GWS aren't in the same conversation as us. They have lost 3 straight and when we beat GWS this week that will keep us top 3 and depending on results they could drop out of the 8. Considering by Rd 4 or so the media was big on an "All Sydney Grand Final".

Lot's of chat in here about the players, but personally I think the next few moves from C Scott will be just as intriguing.

In 2022 the so-called experts took a while to cotton on to what Geelong were doing with Stanley and Blicavs. The way Geelong used both players, and effectively had a tall dropping straight back after stoppages as an extra defender was one of our key strengths. Blicavs and Stanley were mobile big men and could do it better than most opposition talls.

It's the middle of May, and probably too early to pull out trump cards and key positional moves. When Dangerfield returns / Guthrie clicks up a gear, I think we'll see some tinkering. Blicavs and Holmes will no doubt be part of that - possibly Stanley as well (don't laugh).

Experts are starting to call out the extra pressure our defence is under in recent weeks. That's easily rectified if Blicavs is deployed back to his roaming role and merely being a second string ruckman and less midfield minutes. If Stanley / Conway (both mobile) can play their part, I still think that's an ace up our sleeve that most other sides don't have.

As it stands there are only 3-4 missing from our 2022 premiership team to (arguably) our current best 22. Jeds Bews / Joel Selwood / Isaac Smith. Dangerfield obviously injured but will be back - Guthrie back from a long layoff. Offset that with the 2024 versions of Miers and Holmes - the injection of Bruhn - and I'm not sure we need major changes before things get back on track.
I'm not sure about your thinking. 2022 is not 2024, teams on the rise then are now at a different level - Carlton, GWS, Gold Coast Suns. Geelong's veteran players are a year and a half older and are struggling with form and fitness - Hawkins, Stanley, Blicavs, Duncan, Rohan, Cam Guthrie and Dangerfield. Joel Selwood is no longer there leading by example. Several players might not be there next year - Hawkins and Stanley for sure. Of course some Geelong players have stepped up, Miers, Holmes, but we need to fast track others.

No way they don’t bring back Hawkins for the record this week. Would have to invent a late injury I reckon to keep him out
(To assure a milestone win).
We play Richmond at KP next anyway, so the milestone shouldn't play into their thinking that much.

You could argue that if they're that desperate to ensure it's a celebration, they should wait the extra week.

Tom Hawkins will return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So early meat tray made more difficult by a “test” and a “tbc” to two players who would be straight in - no doubt.
Zero doubt on either of them. Both play.

Just think he could both do with an extended rest and an (almost) guaranteed win against Richmond for his record breaking game.
I'd prefer we select our best team to ensure we don't lose for a 4th week in a row.

I'm not sure about your thinking. 2022 is not 2024, teams on the rise then are now at a different level - Carlton, GWS, Gold Coast Suns. Geelong's veteran players are a year and a half older and are struggling with form and fitness - Hawkins, Stanley, Blicavs, Duncan, Rohan, Cam Guthrie and Dangerfield. Joel Selwood is no longer there leading by example. Several players might not be there next year - Hawkins and Stanley for sure. Of course some Geelong players have stepped up, Miers, Holmes, but we need to fast track others.

I’m not sure about my thinking most days either. I’ve had a few head knocks.

But seriously, I’m pretty sure Bairstow and Featherby will return to bolster our midfield this week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'd prefer we select our best team to ensure we don't lose for a 4th week in a row.

Fair call. But dropping Neale after one week when Hawkins had kicked only 1 goal over the previous month is a bit harsh. I’d give Neale another opportunity at home. Not in a humid environment where our midfield were absolutely smashed.

No way they don’t bring back Hawkins for the record this week. Would have to invent a late injury I reckon to keep him out
(To assure a milestone win).
Surely we can create mismatches with all of Hawkins, Neale and Cameron in the side. If it isn't working, get Cameron on the wing delivering to them (we actually missed his drive from the wing against Gold Coast).

Rohan would have to make way in this scenario.

Fair call. But dropping Neale after one week when Hawkins had kicked only 1 goal over the previous month is a bit harsh. I’d give Neale another opportunity at home. Not in a humid environment where our midfield were absolutely smashed.
No knock on Shannon but I reckon if he plays and Hawkins does not he's a good chance to get Sam Taylor as an opponent.
Would be lucky to get a kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back