Preview Rd 11 Geelong V GWS Sat 25th May 2024 434 pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the opposition are putting a lot more work into him. This is a purely subjective view with no data to back it up, but it's seemed he hasn't been afforded the space he was last year, and he's under a lot more pressure with ball in hand this season.

It's like they've become more aware of the need to defend on the 45 degrees for his kicking style rather than necessarily taking the space directly in front of him

I'm thinking he'll be smart enough though to work through this

Except that statistics would say that Miers isn't leading the way for us in terms in inside 50 retention so far this season - think that comes from his last month and it's backed up when you look at something like goal assists

His had 11 goal assists for the season but only 3 in the last 5 weeks, while he has 39 turnovers for the season with 16 across our 3 losses

Maybe the opposition has worked him out once recent times been reading his kicks a bit more lately, meaning easier to intercept or interfere with

No one doubts that when on song he's def one you want with ball in hand, but just hasn't been going all his way over recent times
Maybe he is under more pressure cos the MF sucked in those 3 weeks

Cameron, Hawkins and SDK confirmed in this week - SEN
I think Duncan in too.

So to be honest that makes the Ins of the meat tray easy. No way they do more than 4 changes in my view

So we need to focus on “outs”. I don’t think they will manage anyone but I am going to assume we will have some injuries pop up (surprisingly not on the injury report 😳) to help reduce the omissions.

Outs are not easy (especially as I am keeping an obvious one in - Neale - to stretch GWS backline)

Out. Rohan (inj), Clark, MOC, Atkins (could manage one of MOC or Atkins)

I actually have very low confidence in my view tbh. Obviously they could have good reason to drop Neale. Personally I would take out Guthrie instead of Atkins but I don’t think they will?

Mine has 2 midfielders coming out but I think Blitz goes back in the midfield more and Holmes also (Mullin and Duncan play behind the ball). We have 2E and Dempsey on wing with Jezza roaming. Miers will also play more in the middle? And we keep our height in back and forward line alongside our small forwards. Hence why I have had to leave out 2/3 midfielders

Going to be an interesting selection night

Last edited:
Except that statistics would say that Miers isn't leading the way for us in terms in inside 50 retention so far this season - think that comes from his last month and it's backed up when you look at something like goal assists

His had 11 goal assists for the season but only 3 in the last 5 weeks, while he has 39 turnovers for the season with 16 across our 3 losses

Maybe the opposition has worked him out once recent times been reading his kicks a bit more lately, meaning easier to intercept or interfere with

No one doubts that when on song he's def one you want with ball in hand, but just hasn't been going all his way over recent times
How was the MF performance in those weeks + how did the rest of the players perform? Could a poor team performance tend to impact on other players + areas? If the MFs can't get the ball to the forwards, how are they supposed to kick goals, for example?

Miers is in the Top 10 for most statistics, for the whole team. Of those Top 10 he is in the Top five for half of the categories. In the statistics I reviewed.

I can accept that Miers is not performing as well as usual.

The point I was making is that the team is not taking advantage of his skills.

Also, those stats are 'qualified' by "Based on how often their team retain possession." No doubt you will correct me if I'm wrong: I interpret that as meaning a player kicks the ball into I50 + the team retains possession. If a player is kicking to I50 + the team fails to take control, or there's a turnover, how is that the fault of that player? While you might think I'm arguing with you, I'm certainly not, it's a genuine question + am aware it may prove my lack of knowledge, so I'm keen to learn.

I doubt Duncan in too.

So to be honest that makes the Ins of the meat tray easy. No way they do more than 4 changes in my view

So we need to focus on “outs”. I don’t think they will manage anyone but I am going to assume we will have some injuries pop up (surprisingly not on the injury report 😳) to help reduce the omissions.

Outs are not easy (especially as I am keeping an obvious one in - Neale - to stretch GWS backline)

Out. Rohan (inj), Clark, MOC, Atkins (could manage one of MOC or Atkins)

I actually have very low confidence in my view tbh. Obviously they could have good reason to drop Neale. Personally I would take out Guthrie instead of Atkins but I don’t think they will?

Mine has 2 midfielders coming out but I think Blitz goes back in the midfield more and Holmes also (Mullin and Duncan play behind the ball). We have 2E and Dempsey on wing with Jezza roaming. Miers will also play more in the middle? And we keep our height in back and forward line alongside our small forwards. Hence why I have had to leave out 2/3 midfielders

Going to be an interesting selection night
In: Hawkins, Cameron, SDK, Duncan
Out: Neale, Rohan, Tuohy, Atkins

That's what I expect, although like you said the outs are difficult. I'd be happy for them to keep Neale - maybe he or Rohan survives - but the standard 2 for 2 forwards might be the way the MC is thinking.

Tall defence and rebound strengthened with SDK and Duncan, while Tuohy is peripheral and Atkins may be due a rest. O'Connor gives that wing/half back/tagging versatility. Some of which could release Holmes as an attacking midfielder?

How was the MF performance in those weeks + how did the rest of the players perform? Could a poor team performance tend to impact on other players + areas? If the MFs can't get the ball to the forwards, how are they supposed to kick goals, for example?

Miers is in the Top 10 for most statistics, for the whole team. Of those Top 10 he is in the Top five for half of the categories. In the statistics I reviewed.

Also, those stats are 'qualified' by "Based on how often their team retain possession." No doubt you will correct me if I'm wrong: I interpret that as meaning a player kicks the ball into I50 + the team retains possession. If a player is kicking to I50 + the team fails to take control, or there's a turnover, how is that the fault of that player? While you might think I'm arguing with you, I'm certainly not, it's a genuine question + am aware it may prove my lack of knowledge, so I'm keen to learn.
Miers has still been in our best players the past handful of weeks, I just think he's playing around midfield congestion more often and when your team is being swarmed it can be harder to find targets.

The same happens to Duncan when we are faltering, but even more so due to his lack of agility and reflexes in his very last veteran years. But he (back half) and Miers (front half) remain our most important creators.

And yes, ball retention stats will always depend on how the forwards being kicked to a) presented (positionally) and b) perform when the ball is released from the kicker. As well as the kicking players having different risk profiles. Miers is likely a more "creative" kick than Close but that will also likely mean more turnovers with the extra degree of difficulty.

Close's ball use IS underrated though. Sometimes I wish he got more of the footy as he can be a difference maker when he does have it.

jumping sneak attack GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Miers has still been in our best players the past handful of weeks, I just think he's playing around midfield congestion more often and when your team is being swarmed it can be harder to find targets.

The same happens to Duncan when we are faltering, but even more so due to his lack of agility and reflexes in his very last veteran years. But he (back half) and Miers (front half) remain our most important creators.

And yes, ball retention stats will always depend on how the forwards being kicked to a) presented (positionally) and b) perform when the ball is released from the kicker. As well as the kicking players having different risk profiles. Miers is likely a more "creative" kick than Close but that will also likely mean more turnovers with the extra degree of difficulty.

Close's ball use IS underrated though. Sometimes I wish he got more of the footy as he can be a difference maker when he does have it.
Thank you for explaining that Mr Meow. Interesting you use the word 'swarm', only a few weeks ago our small forwards were nicknamed the 'Swarm', how times can change quickly.

I agree Duncan is another important player, underestimated my some. He does steady his line + is a versatile utility.

I'm a huge Close fan, a silent achiever with excellent goal kicking ability too, 13.3.81.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your club's top forward-50 targets, 2024​

Kuwarna: Taylor Walker (73 times), Darcy Fogarty (59), Izak Rankine (29)
Brisbane: Joe Daniher (71), Eric Hipwood (59), Charlie Cameron (42)
Carlton: Charlie Curnow (95), Harry McKay (84), Tom De Koning (21)
Collingwood: Jamie Elliott (40), Brody Mihocek (36), Bobby Hill (33)
Essendon: Kyle Langford (72), Peter Wright (48), Jake Stringer (44)
Walyalup: Jye Amiss (49), Josh Treacy (44), Matt Taberner (31)
Geelong: Ollie Henry (72), Tom Hawkins (43), Jeremy Cameron (40)
Gold Coast: Ben King (96), Jed Walter (49), Ben Long (25)
Greater Western Sydney: Jesse Hogan (89), Jake Riccardi (38), Aaron Cadman (37)
Hawthorn: Mabior Chol (41), Jack Ginnivan (33), Jack Gunston (29)
Narrm: Bayley Fritsch (58), Harrison Petty (29), Jacob van Rooyen (29)
North Melbourne: Nick Larkey (79), Cam Zurhaar (30), Paul Curtis (29)
Yartapuulti: Charlie Dixon (76), Todd Marshall (74), Mitch Georgiades (42)
Richmond: Mykelti Lefau (39), Tom Lynch (36), Noah Balta (33)
Euro-Yroke: Max King (55), Tim Membrey (45), Anthony Caminiti (29)
Sydney: Logan McDonald (62), Joel Amartey (53), Hayden McLean (45)
Waalitj Marawar: Jake Waterman (56), Jack Darling (53), Jamie Cripps (26)
Western Bulldogs: Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (72), Aaron Naughton (46), Sam Darcy (27)

Your club's top forward-50 targets, 2024​

Kuwarna: Taylor Walker (73 times), Darcy Fogarty (59), Izak Rankine (29)
Brisbane: Joe Daniher (71), Eric Hipwood (59), Charlie Cameron (42)
Carlton: Charlie Curnow (95), Harry McKay (84), Tom De Koning (21)
Collingwood: Jamie Elliott (40), Brody Mihocek (36), Bobby Hill (33)
Essendon: Kyle Langford (72), Peter Wright (48), Jake Stringer (44)
Walyalup: Jye Amiss (49), Josh Treacy (44), Matt Taberner (31)
Geelong: Ollie Henry (72), Tom Hawkins (43), Jeremy Cameron (40)
Gold Coast: Ben King (96), Jed Walter (49), Ben Long (25)
Greater Western Sydney: Jesse Hogan (89), Jake Riccardi (38), Aaron Cadman (37)
Hawthorn: Mabior Chol (41), Jack Ginnivan (33), Jack Gunston (29)
Narrm: Bayley Fritsch (58), Harrison Petty (29), Jacob van Rooyen (29)
North Melbourne: Nick Larkey (79), Cam Zurhaar (30), Paul Curtis (29)
Yartapuulti: Charlie Dixon (76), Todd Marshall (74), Mitch Georgiades (42)
Richmond: Mykelti Lefau (39), Tom Lynch (36), Noah Balta (33)
Euro-Yroke: Max King (55), Tim Membrey (45), Anthony Caminiti (29)
Sydney: Logan McDonald (62), Joel Amartey (53), Hayden McLean (45)
Waalitj Marawar: Jake Waterman (56), Jack Darling (53), Jamie Cripps (26)
Western Bulldogs: Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (72), Aaron Naughton (46), Sam Darcy (27)
Fook! The Eagles are getting a GREAT return on Jake Waterman.

He hasn't but it seems like we usually put our 'managed' players as emergencies each week.
That's true. And whether we like it or not, that does seem to indicate he's not that close to selection. If even the players who are supposedly getting a rest in any given week are still preferred in the list of 'possibles', he seemingly hasn't been that close to breaking in.

Could all change quickly if the midfield maulings continue, though.

That's true. And whether we like it or not, that does seem to indicate he's not that close to selection. If even the players who are supposedly getting a rest in any given week are still preferred in the list of 'possibles', he seemingly hasn't been that close to breaking in.

Could all change quickly if the midfield maulings continue, though.
I think we're at a point now where the likes of Miers, Holmes, & Stewart getting full games as midfielders is more likely than Hardie getting an extended run of games in there as the answer.

Similar to '22 with Axe & Blitz going in there full time to fix the issues, we tend to pick the answer hiding in plain sight rather than promoting someone from the outside for that big of a role.

Last edited:
Bringing in the big guns, SDK, Hawkins. With so much extra speed on the ground expect a visit from the DEA.

I think we're at a point now where the likes Miers, Holmes, & Stewart getting full games as midfielders is more likely than Hardie getting an extended run of games in there as the answer.

Similar to '22 with Axe & Blitz going in there full time to fix the issues, we tend to pick the answer hiding in plain site rather than promoting someone from the outside for that big of a role.
If a guy like Hardie who is leading the overall voting in the VFL can't get a game in Geelong's seriously underperforming midfield then Geelong obviously doesn't rate the VFL.

I think we're at a point now where the likes Miers, Holmes, & Stewart getting full games as midfielders is more likely than Hardie getting an extended run of games in there as the answer.

Similar to '22 with Axe & Blitz going in there full time to fix the issues, we tend to pick the answer hiding in plain site rather than promoting someone from the outside for that big of a role.
I agree. I also think we're seeing the reality of the club now seeking to find answers to the midfield woes that could last for the really long term. That's part of the reason why I think Clark is being continually preferred to Hardie. Not simply because they believe Jhye's ceiling is higher, but also because he has many, many years of firsts football in front of him if he makes it. Hardie could only ever be a solution for half as long as Clark. So even if the output at VFL level (statistically, at least) appears commensurate, I think the #13 is going to get plenty of chances to prove his worth before they go with a player providing supposedly comparable output who is nearly seven years older.

It's also why I could genuinely see my boy Ted getting a senior call-up again before they look to pick Hardie instead. We'll see, I guess.

We are second bottom I think for the number of players playing all games…I thought I would have a look.

So we only have 9 players that have played all 10 games so far…and I think all 9 will play their 11th on Saturday.

Holmes
Miers
Zuthrie
Dempsey
Blitz
Stengle
Close
Henry
Henry

So the only real shock I suppose is Dempsey. And when think about it, wow.

The “small forwards” are our strength and we need them! Holmes is our best player right now and Henrys our book ends and Blitz is our uniqueness.

Need a lift from Blitz and J Henry and frankly more of the same from the rest of them?

I agree. I also think we're seeing the reality of the club now seeking to find answers to the midfield woes that could last for the really long term. That's part of the reason why I think Clark is being continually preferred to Hardie. Not simply because they believe Jhye's ceiling is higher, but also because he has many, many years of firsts football in front of him if he makes it. Hardie could only ever be a solution for half as long as Clark. So even if the output at VFL level (statistically, at least) appears commensurate, I think the #13 is going to get plenty of chances to prove his worth before they go with a player providing supposedly comparable output who is nearly seven years older.

It's also why I could genuinely see my boy Ted getting a senior call-up again before they look to pick Hardie instead. We'll see, I guess.
That's s whole lot of logic but it turns the bird in the hand proverb on its head.

Any chance for Mitch Hardie this week, hasn't really put a foot wrong so far every game!

If he ever gets a game and does ok - id love him to say something along the lines of - the hardest 2 things about playing AFL - are getting on a clubs list - and then having your senior coach actually give you a game

Parfitt , underwhelming - ditto Clark - and Bruhn was woefull in his last game - where Geel needed someone to stand up

Bowes has i think been quite good , Mullin is a work in Progress , hes got that pace , but Parfitt , Clark and Bruhn should be in the 2nds , the 3 of them are 5ft 10inch , borderline slow , and ordinary kicks - nothing at all to get excited about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back