Autopsy Rd 5 Did Blues win? They s**t it in!

Which players do you think played well in Round 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

with respect - for a long time there has been very little positive to report - it isn't her job to cheer-lead carlton, look for any little nugget of optimism, fight for our right to be treated as though we have been relevant - it's ours - we've been losers for a long time and unfortunately for some that has transmogrified into a victim's outlook - you see things from a victim's perspective you will forever be crying "poor me, another barb from caro" - curiously it will all be forgiven and forgotten once we start to win - I thought the commentary from marvel yesterday was fabulous - healy and dunstall and even that peanut russell wrapt us up bigtime - it felt great to hear as I was so proud of our efforts - this pointless banging on about caro and her non-existent agenda is as silly as the one toward kb - if we can't cop a bit of justified stick about being crap well **** me...........

Liked for the word transmogrified

He's played 300+ games. He's won a B&F. Played on the wing, HFF and HBF. He's respected by fans from all clubs. He's got nothing left to prove.

He's half the size/weight of the other players. Yet despite all of that (or perhaps because of) he goes in hard anyway. Every. *******. Time.

He backs into packs, hunts the ball desperately and never gives up. Other players could learn a thing or two (or 20).

Kade Simpson, we salute you.

Precisely, will make 350 easily and I reckon a sneaky chance for the club games record which he would have got easily if playing in teams in the 70’s/80’s with the amount of finals they played in.

Older players you need to look at 3 things to see if they continue or not:
1. Appetite for the contest
2. Pace, when you’re close or at the end you’ve lost some of the zip you had in your younger days
3. Ability to get on the park regularly

He’s ticking all boxes as well as he’s ever had, I have no doubt he’ll play to 37-38 like Boomer Harvey and make the club call time on his career. I won’t be happy if he’s playing like Boomer was when his time was cut short, I’m hoping he goes out with a premiership medal around his neck!!

Just on JSOS, he was very impressive on the weekend.

Imo his biggest weakness is his overhead marking. Just doesn’t hold them well above the shoulder line. They do the old slip through the top of the fingers and then the defender has him.
If he can sort that out and put some strength through the grip, he will elevate to the next level of playing ability and be a super contributor.

Yes, journalist in Sunday Herald-Sun. They, (Williams & Healy) were a fantastic duo for The Swans. Like to think there is an accurate comparison there for our team.
If good enough, it should go a long way to attaining our holy grail 17th flag.

Hopefully the difference is that Williams and Healy weren't together in a premiership team. Diesel had to come to the Blues to get that.

with respect - for a long time there has been very little positive to report - it isn't her job to cheer-lead carlton, look for any little nugget of optimism, fight for our right to be treated as though we have been relevant - it's ours - we've been losers for a long time and unfortunately for some that has transmogrified into a victim's outlook - you see things from a victim's perspective you will forever be crying "poor me, another barb from caro" - curiously it will all be forgiven and forgotten once we start to win - I thought the commentary from marvel yesterday was fabulous - healy and dunstall and even that peanut russell wrapt us up bigtime - it felt great to hear as I was so proud of our efforts - this pointless banging on about caro and her non-existent agenda is as silly as the one toward kb - if we can't cop a bit of justified stick about being crap well **** me...........

Liked for two reasons. One of your longest posts, but what about paragraphs?;)

But mostly liked for "transmogrified", won't lie, i had to google it. Brilliant.

Loved Gibbons in the midfield High HFF role, lets see him there more often please.

I read posts here about this being a better game plan and how Bolts coached better etc.
Would someone please tell me how this game plan was any different to the others this year?
As far as I could see, the plan remained the same but the players actually executed it.
How did Bolts coach any different this game to the others this year?

Loved Gibbons in the midfield High HFF role, lets see him there more often please.

I read posts here about this being a better game plan and how Bolts coached better etc.
Would someone please tell me how this game plan was any different to the others this year?
As far as I could see, the plan remained the same but the players actually executed it.
How did Bolts coach any different this game to the others this year?
He didn't.
It wasn't.
It was and they did.
He didn't.

He didn't.
It wasn't.
It was and they did.
He didn't.

I have a tendency to agree with this.

Like many I have been a little concerned that Bolts may not be the man to take us to the next level because I was seeing players seemingly playing with no system at all. This game showed that we do have a system and most of our trouble was that our players weren't keeping to it. It seemed to be there in patches but didn't seem sustainable. I'm hoping that's changed and that winning now becomes addictive.

Loved the game and it's the first time in many games that I was confident of a win almost from the get-go.

Many still saying "wait til we get this or that player back". Well I reckon "this or that player" will have to earn his elevation and that is the first time I've been able to say that for many years. Hopefully team changes will actually improve our team from here not merely, as we've seen in the past, be the equivalent of changing deckchairs on the Titanic.

One last heads up to that big guy we welcomed back in the ruck. Fit and going he is very nearly our most important player and I don't think we'd be 1-4 if he'd been fit from game one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would just like jack to clean up his set shot goal kicking. He kicks three on sunday (as he should have) and we are talking break out game.
Generally its pretty easy to identify weaknesses in goalkicking but jacks action looks simple and good.

He’s working on it. Last Tuesday at training had a heap of set shots from 30m but sadly poor conversion rate. Also needs to eliminate from his repertoire the short passes that land 2m on front of the target. Can’t beat his effort and passion though.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry I'm late to such a happy forum. I generally post from the office.
wow, wow and bloody wow.
This win was so sweet and so deserved.
I think I called out last week to Murphster, my love for SPS. What a game, what great hands and so silky smooth.
Easily BOG. Best game game from Big Harry, almost kicked goal of the year. Great games for Fisher, Walsh, Cripps & Gibbons. And a special call out to Casboult. I was so happy for him to play a big part in the win.
I am very very happy.
Also nice getting all the well wishes for other supporters.
I think we are earning the respect we deserve.
Go Blues and please back up with a win against Hawks.
Need to maintain the rage. Sorry for longish text, but very excited. :D:thumbsu:;):thumbsu::p

Precisely, will make 350 easily and I reckon a sneaky chance for the club games record which he would have got easily if playing in teams in the 70’s/80’s with the amount of finals they played in.

Older players you need to look at 3 things to see if they continue or not:
1. Appetite for the contest
2. Pace, when you’re close or at the end you’ve lost some of the zip you had in your younger days
3. Ability to get on the park regularly

He’s ticking all boxes as well as he’s ever had, I have no doubt he’ll play to 37-38 like Boomer Harvey and make the club call time on his career. I won’t be happy if he’s playing like Boomer was when his time was cut short, I’m hoping he goes out with a premiership medal around his neck!!

In the 70's his career would have ended already from all the high contacts coat hangers etc etc and I struggle to find the player in those teams I would drop for him.

Working on the weekend is the pits. Finally got to watch the game!

The back six worked together admirably, but 7 goals 15 is what killed the dogs. They didn't just miss shots they should've kicked, they missed all the shots they should've kicked. They were lucky to get 7, such was their kicking malaise on Sunday. The good news, though, is that it wouldn't have mattered, because we were all over them in through the midfield and into the forward line.

I've said for the past year or so that Samo was only able to go once in a contest; he would either be clean, and get a disposal off to advantage, but that was him done. AFL's a game of second and third efforts, and that lack of fitness was clearly holding him back. This is the end result of him getting to the point where repeat efforts are not beyond him. However, he still ran out of gas as the game progressed, but what a game anyway! I do not think that all of a sudden, he's that player now; he'll still have his ups and downs. But that is the player we should be seeing more and more often now.

Harry McKay, too. He's been marking everything this year, but this game demonstrated how much folly it is to leave him against someone undersized. The dogs were just so, so small in defense, and even Easton Wood is not so competent a defender as to hold him all the time. The poor bastard was getting run ragged trying to cover Casboult, McKay and McGovern, because he was the only defender of key position height (aside from a first gamer) down there. All three of them did their jobs, and they each tore out the heart of the WB every time a high ball deprived them of the opportunity to rebound, because they simply couldn't intercept the thing at the rate it came in, or outmark our KPP.

Finally, there has been substantial discussion on this board over the past few weeks regarding gameplan, whether there was one, or whether the coaches (in particular, Bolton and Teague) were up to it. Given the point of what we were trying to do - to be taller than our direct opposition, to outmark them, to go at alternates short and long to optimum targets and mismatches wherever we can find them, whilst remaining sufficiently well set up behind the ball so that a turnover will not kill us dead - is there sufficient evidence in that performance to suggest that the calls in this area were premature? Given that the difference between this week and prior weeks has been execution by foot and hand rewarding players getting into position and working hard, is it any wonder our backline transition into the front half was much improved, and that leads were honoured in a way I've never previously seen at Carlton (yes, I'm relatively young!)?

There was something almost systemic in our dismantling of the dogs. It was a salve to the previous weeks, and it was wonderful to watch a team realise that they had their foot on their opponent's throat and to keep on pushing hard. In years past, the dogs would've gotten closer; even in that 2009-2011 patch, we were vulnerable once we thought the game was won. We let sides in a lot over that particular era. Our dominance was player and system driven, and it is this that most of all gives me hope for the future; that the individuals are incredible but it is the team that dominates.

Last edited:
She's not anti-carlton. She's pro hot cakes. Of course people will react when she directs the pathetically short sighted/ uninformed hot cakes towards their club as she refuses to admit she's wrong and just puts her head further up her butt acting like some untouchable provider of hard truths.
who isn't.....

Last edited:
Finally, there has been substantial discussion on this board over the past few weeks regarding gameplan, whether there was one, or whether the coaches (in particular, Bolton and Teague) were up to it. Given the point of what we were trying to do - to be taller than our direct opposition, to outmark them, to go at alternates short and long to optimum targets and mismatches wherever we can find them, whilst remaining sufficiently well set up behind the ball so that a turnover will not kill us dead - is there sufficient evidence in that performance to suggest that the calls in this area were premature? Given that the difference between this week and prior weeks has been execution by foot and hand rewarding players getting into position and working hard, is it any wonder our backline transition into the front half was much improved, and that leads were honoured in a way I've never previously seen at Carlton (yes, I'm relatively young!)?

I always appreciate your posts - so much so that I think you answered your question here

this game demonstrated how much folly it is to leave him against someone undersized. The dogs were just so, so small in defense, and even Easton Wood is not so competent a defender as to hold him all the time. The poor bastard was getting run ragged trying to cover Casboult, McKay and McGovern, because he was the only defender of key position height (aside from a first gamer) down there. All three of them did their jobs, and they each tore out the heart of the WB every time a high ball deprived them of the opportunity to rebound, because they simply couldn't intercept the thing at the rate it came in, or outmark our KPP.

AND

but 7 goals 15 is what killed the dogs. They didn't just miss shots they should've kicked, they missed all the shots they should've kicked

We beat the doggies because they went in without any talls - it was even mentioned prior to the game that bevo was being arrogant in not paying our forwards enough respect.

Combine that with the doggies not being able to kick remotely straight and yeah - kick half of their easy shots, and another KPP in defence and they would have won.

Bolton had a great win, takes the pressure of for a week - but make no mistake he is still very much under the spotlight. Nothing has changed - he needs to win at least 5 games this year I would say at a minimum.

Infact - I would suggest this win puts MORE pressure on him. Now we know he has the talent - we've seen it. We have MORE to come back in (Pickett, Doch, Williamson, McCreadie, Curnow, Kennedy etc) so a return the losing streaks now is going to really put the heat on.

Next few weeks are easily winnable games - lets see how he goes.

She's not anti-carlton. She's pro hot takes. Of course people will react when she directs the pathetically short sighted/ uninformed hot takes towards their club as she refuses to admit she's wrong and just puts her head further up her butt acting like some untouchable provider of hard truths.
boy oh boy - can't believe our club has survived this long with her continual refusal to not do stuff.........

I always appreciate your posts - so much so that I think you answered your question here...

AND...

We beat the doggies because they went in without any talls - it was even mentioned prior to the game that bevo was being arrogant in not paying our forwards enough respect.

Combine that with the doggies not being able to kick remotely straight and yeah - kick half of their easy shots, and another KPP in defence and they would have won.

Bolton had a great win, takes the pressure of for a week - but make no mistake he is still very much under the spotlight. Nothing has changed - he needs to win at least 5 games this year I would say at a minimum.

Infact - I would suggest this win puts MORE pressure on him. Now we know he has the talent - we've seen it. We have MORE to come back in (Pickett, Doch, Williamson, McCreadie, Curnow, Kennedy etc) so a return the losing streaks now is going to really put the heat on.

Next few weeks are easily winnable games - lets see how he goes.
???

So, when the coach targets a list strength - height and contested marking - as compared to the opposition, and shapes the gameplan around it, it's not a testament to their coaching ability?

It also wasn't just in the air where we beat them, we smashed them for a half around the stoppages, and beat them for the remaining two terms after they adjusted. Given the ridiculous definition of tackles - requiring the tackling player to have affected the disposal rather than simply the act of tackling - I question the tackle numbers we gathered because the Dogs have, since 2016, been better at getting the ball out to advantage from a tackled player than anyone else in the competition, and they clearly felt the referred pressure at the point of outlet. They were shocked into shocking disposal, and it showed all over the ground, so I rather think we can claim at least some of the credit for their poor goalkicking. That was as dominant a performance as we've seen since Ratten got the boot, and it wasn't borne off effort or a champion player dragging his teammates with them.

Over the next 5 games, we've got the Hawks in Tasmania (depends very much on which Hawthorn show up, which Carlton show up, and whether the Hawks are fragile in Tasmania this year. They'll also be smarting from their loss to Geelong, you expect them to go two losses in a row?) North at Etihad (should be a win), Collingwood at the G (you've got us beating them at the G, do you?), the Giants at their home ground (the Giants at home? I don't think so), and St Kilda at Etihad (maybe, but not in the form they're in at the moment). I'm seeing one should win, another maybe (perhaps two at a stretch) and three probable losses. If we can take it up to those three, and pinch one or both of the Hawthorn St Kilda games, we'd be flying far and above where we thought we would be at the start of the season; most of us still had us bottom 4, and if we are bottom 4 we should only really be winning games against sides that underestimate us and other cellar dwellers. If we can go 3-2 over that patch, I'm buying finals tickets and so should you.

I think your expectations of what sort of thing a coach can do with so few players between the 22-26 range to win you the game are excessive, given that it's more of predictor of victory than almost anything else.

Last edited:

’I think Carlton supporters still question their development’

Name them Caro!

tenor.gif

spot on. shes a football analyst. people get too offended

Back