Autopsy Rd 7 vs North. Terrible loss, poor skills, never in it.

Who played well in Round 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Today was totally unexpected. Given the crowd that fronted (over 42,000) I think a lot of Carlton supporters jumped onboard, attended Docklands and expected a win.

What unfolded was too bad to be true. We can highlight all the shit that happened but it’s pointless. We were uncompetitive. We played dumb footy. I don’t think there was one player who played at the level required to win a game of footy. That’s why it’s so depressing.

Who said anything about bringing in more kids? I said IMO they should have been traded when the rebuild was started.
I understand that, but what were you trading them for? Picks? Players? Who or what were you trading Murphy, Gibbs, Kruezer for? Or, just to be rid of them?

Goes real well, but is a forward in a strong, experienced side and really doesn't have a defensive side

How do you think he would go as a defensive wingman in our side

Or how would Lochie go playing for the Pies

Very interesting.

Depends on the scope anticipated for either.

Comparing this years lot to the Rayner/Stephenson/Dow lot, woukd LoB be top 20??

As a watcher?

Last edited:
I tend to agree with this. My take is the thought process would have been we fairly confident that we’re going to climb the ladder so best case we make out like bandits. Worse case we get a highly rated player and another first round draft pick albeit losing out on pick 1 or 2. Can we live with the worst case scenario? Yep, let’s do it then. A calculated risk.
The deal sos made was a beauty regardless of the player, what he didn’t bank on after adding Setterfield, McGovern, Newman and Walsh was the insipid effort from the playing list and the mind boggling lack of progress in formulating a sustainable game plan by the coaches, a game plan that is recognisable every week.

Your opinion, not mine. Move on

So you think the club would be happy to have ended up swapping pick 1 for stocker and a pick in the 10 range??

There’s so much more you can do with a pick one like using it to trade for a star mature age footballer, I doubt the club thought sticker and pick 10 range would be worth next years first pick.

Obviously all that depends on is finishing last which is the whole point of this discussion.

Another consideration Stig, Stephenson wasn't around at pick 10, perhap Fogarty's level of development would be a better comparison despite being a different player

Fogarty slipped big time.

Playing Magoos, big boy that beat up on kids.

Isn’t quick enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've been in every game this year except for today. Players don't lose their ability in a week.
When you start the game 41-1, you're not in it. When we're down 5 goals against the Swans just before 3qt, we're not winning it.

Both games were over before our late runs. I understand why supporters may gloss over this but it's a worry that our coach believes today was the first time also.

I think your missing my point...which is about the time it takes for players to reach their moment of being ready for a long career. And we dont have the luxury to be playing them all in the reserves unfortunately.
You are missing point. We lost to the 18th team by 10 goals and you support enforcing the low standard by guaranteeing selection when there are alternatives

Issue with LOB is that at the moment, he simply cannot win a contest. Unless the ball moves from a teammate to him cleanly and without pressure, he is essentially a liability out there (unless he has run his opponent ragged to the extent that he is in the clear).

But if we're asking him to play a defensive role on their best winger? It's just not going to work, Lochie can't compete in the air and he can't compete defensively at ground level.

But at least he has elite disposal.

The Carlton football Club and its players really love sabotaging the enthusiasm of its supporters.

Last week at half time, it looked like we would easily finish off the hawks then account for North this weekend and go into the Collingwood game next week winning 3 on the trot and equal favourites with the pies.

Supporters were getting excited again, today a more than decent crowd attended the game, I know i was planning my tickets for the Pies game next week.
No way I go to that game anymore, will be an absolute bloodbath.

This club definitely knows how to constantly disappoint ya supporters, it’s the only thing the club has mastered in 20 years and continues to do so.

Yeah lets hang him.

FFS where is the outrage over Thomas side of the interaction?

People have different personalities.
It is with complete respect to Murph that I write this. History will record him as a Captain of our great club during a very dark time, buts lets remember he was a number 1 pick, played beside two number 1 picks in Gibbs, and Kruezer, and also alongside that other guy, Chris Judd, who went alright too. It wasn't all that bad a midfield. People will, however, remember his career as a whole. That includes now, and how he plays out his career. If his legacy matters to him, and to the club, i don't think dropping him to the 2's is going to be wise, or useful. What will it actually achieve. If his body is banged up, like we all believe, could we possibly imagine how frustrating it must be for him to not be able to play the way he wants? Taking a couple of weeks off for management won't help either. I'm not sure what is left to do but to respect his service to our great club over such a low point in our history.

Either he comes out and says the body is done and retires OR he gets dropped.

If the body is done (which I think is probqbly the case), he should move on.

If its not a body issue, then his play is bordering on disgraceful and should be dropped.

And...it hurts. I've had number 3 on my Guernsey for 10 years. I don't have an agenda. I've not been against the guy, but please stop flogging this dead horse.

The Carlton football Club and its players really love sabotaging the enthusiasm of its supporters.

Last week at half time, it looked like we would easily finish off the hawks then account for North this weekend and go into the Collingwood game next week winning 3 on the trot and equal favourites with the pies.

Supporters were getting excited again, today a more than decent crowd attended the game, I know i was planning my tickets for the Pies game next week.
No way I go to that game anymore, will be an absolute bloodbath.

This club definitely knows how to constantly disappoint ya supporters, it’s the only thing the club has mastered in 20 years and continues to do so.
You can have my ticket if you like ...

You are missing point. We lost to the 18th team by 10 goals and you support enforcing the low standard by guaranteeing selection when there are alternatives
I arent supporting anything mate. Just trying to find some positives. I am just as cheesed off as anyone here believe me.

So you think the club would be happy to have ended up swapping pick 1 for stocker and a pick in the 10 range??

There’s so much more you can do with a pick one like using it to trade for a star mature age footballer, I doubt the club thought sticker and pick 10 range would be worth next years first pick.

Obviously all that depends on is finishing last which is the whole point of this discussion.

People keep saying we have swapped Pick 1. Has that been confirmed? What have I missed?

I understand that, but what were you trading them for? Picks? Players? Who or what were you trading Murphy, Gibbs, Kruezer for? Or, just to be rid of them?

In a sense this. I felt as though they were the faces of a tough time in the clubs history and felt it better they were moved on and given opportunities to play for premierships elsewhere before their careers were over.

Back