Food & Drink Recipe Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Tomatoe & chorizo spaghetti
  • How to pickle red onions
  • Smashed Egg, chilli, mango chutney & yoghurt over flat bread
  • Smashed egg, mango chutney with chili & yogurt on flatbread. I totally suck at making bread. It hates me.
    egg mango chutney.jpg

Ingredients​

• 4 large free-range eggs
    • 100 g self-raising flour , plus extra for dusting
    • 6 tablespoons natural yoghurt
    • 2 tablespoons mango chutney
    • 1 fresh red chilli

Method​

1. Lower the eggs into a pan of vigorously simmering water and boil for 5½ minutes exactly, then refresh under cold water until cool enough to handle, and peel.
    2. Meanwhile, put a large non-stick frying pan on a medium-high heat.
    3. In a bowl, mix the flour with a little pinch of sea salt, 4 tablespoons of yoghurt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil until you have a dough. Halve, then roll out each piece on a flour-dusted surface until just under ½cm thick.
    4. Cook for 3 minutes, or until golden, turning halfway.
    5. Dot the mango chutney and remaining yoghurt over the breads.
    6. Halve the soft-boiled eggs and arrange on top, smashing them in with a fork, if you like.
    7. Finely slice the chilli and scatter over (as much as you dare!), drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and black pepper from a height.

Tips​

EASY SWAPS
    – Swap the chilli for a handful of toasted nuts or finely chopped coriander, or leave it out completely.
    – Any chutney would work well here. Shop-bought is absolutely brilliant, or you could even make your own.
    – Go for poached eggs, if that’s your vibe. Check out our easy guide for the perfect poached egg.

EXTRA VEG
    – Serve with a handful of rocket, watercress or wilted spinach for a delicious veggie boost.

Last edited:
    Grilled chicken wings with garlic & lemon marinade
  • If you're into bbq then this is my go to recipe for chicken wings. Keeps the wings from drying out over the charcoal & tastes awesome. And yes, I split the wings before I marinade, you can obviously already buy them split at any shop.

Spaghetti & Sausage
  • Spaghetti & Sausage:
    Dead set easy and I like the option of using different sausages depending on what you prefer. This feeds 2, so for the singles its an easy pop the rest into the Tupperware container.

• 170g Sausage. I used Tuscan style thick sausages from Vics Meats
    • 130g spaghetti
    • three slices of yellow onion diced
    • 135g Pasta Sauce
    • parmesan to garnish

1) Skin the sausages & crumble them as much as you can into a slightly oiled pan. Don't use too much oil, if your sausages are good quality they'll provide just enough to assist.
    2) Dice the onions & add them in too. Should probably cook them separately before but I cant be arsed.
    3) By this time your saucepan of salted water should be boiling and you can whack in your pasta while #1 & #2 are cooking.
    4) When the onion & sausage meat is cooked add your pasta sauce. Be it home made or store bought. I have a bad reaction to most supermarket pasta sauces so either make my own or use the one I've bought from Dan's Pasta in sydney.
    5) If your spaghetti is fresh it shouldn't take more than 3-4 mins to cook.
    6) Once the sauce is heated through and you pastas is done just pull the pasta straight out of the saucepan with some tongs & add to the pan
    7) mix well. I tend to snip the spaghetti a bit which is probably sacrilegious but its way easier to mix & eat.
    8) Garnish with some grated parmesan

The key to this is one is good sausage :tongueoutv1: the bulk buy 'sausage meat' from Woollies for Coles just doesn't cut it.

Sausage & Red wine pasta
  • I forgot add tin of water at the start too and if it dries out too much add a bit more ,,,keep it really low lid on and shouldnt
    Agreed, if you allow ithe sauce to boil too long you're in trouble, simmer is best. I've cooked something similar in the past, usually add about a half a cup of red wine:wineglass: the half of the bottle is drunk durin while I cook:tongueoutv1:

Slow Cooker Beef Casserole
  • Fantastic - sooo its your turn to post the recipe Bruce!

And i don't mean to state the obvious, Bruce. But beef doesn't taste like lamb :tongueoutv1: :whistle:

Large onion, sauté in pan
    Add 500g diced beef. Brown.
    Add sachet tomato paste, a good splash of Worcestershire Sauce, and a decent sprinkle of Keens curry powder.
    Coat it all and chuck in slow cooker.
    Add 2 carrots and 2 zucchinis chopped.
    Add 2 cups chicken stock and one can diced tomatoes.
    Mix it up.
    Cook on low for 8 hours. Check at 7 hours and add some corn flour if too watery (mine was).
    Serve with rice.

*I’d go a lot harder in spices but this is for the sake of force feeding veggies into kids.
    **You can’t raise children without a slow cooker.
    ***I know beef ain’t lamb but lamb got suddenly so expensive about a year ago and I have access to beef cattle as an owner so I’m really keen to nail the cooking side of it. Next week I’m doing oyster blade.

Fried Rice - 3 Ways
  • I use this recipe from the Dumpling Sisters all the time and I love it!

And in case the link goes here's the recipe: First things first - Overnight your cooked rice. Allow it to cool on a flat pan, wrap in plastic then stick in the fridge over night.

SERVES
    INGREDIENTS
    FOR THE EGGS

3 EGGS
    1/8 TSP SALT
    1/4 TSP VEGETABLE OIL
    1/2 TBSP VEGETABLE OIL FOR FRYING
    CLASSIC SPECIAL FRIED RICE
    400G (UNCOOKED WEIGHT) LONG GRAIN WHITE RICE: COOKED, COOLED AND REFRIGERATED OVERNIGHT.
    2 1/2 TBSP VEGETABLE OIL
    1 MEDIUM-SIZED CARROT, DICED INTO SMALL CUBES
    100G FROZEN PEAS
    1/2 TBSP GINGER, FINELY DICED
    1 CLOVE GARLIC, FINELY DICED
    100G CHAR SIU PORK, DICED INTO SMALL CUBES
    100G COOKED AND PEELED SMALL PRAWNS
    100G COOKED CHICKEN, DICED INTO SMALL CUBES
    1/4 TSP SALT
    1/2 TSP LIGHT SOY
    1/2 TBSP SUGAR
    1/8 TSP PEPPER
    5 TBSP COLD WATER
    2 SPRIGS SPRING ONION, SLICED INTO ROUNDS
    TIM’S FRIED EGG SPECIAL (PER PERSON)
    1 EGG
    1/2 TSP VEGETABLE OIL
    1 TSP LIGHT SOY SAUCE
    FRIED SHALLOTS FOR GARNISH
    CURRY SPECIAL (FOR THE WHOLE QUANTITY OF CLASSIC SPECIAL FRIED RICE)
    1 1/2 TSP CURRY POWDER
    2 TBSP WATER
    SLICED RED CHILLI FOR GARNISH

Whisk the eggs with the salt and ¼ tsp of oil. Put your wok on medium heat and add the ½ tbsp of oil, followed by the eggs. Let the eggs set on the bottom for 10 seconds before moving them around gently with a spatula. Cook for a further 20 seconds until the eggs are partially set, then remove them from the wok and set aside.Give your wok a quick wipe with a paper towel then put it over a high heat. Stir fry the carrots with ½ tbsp of oil until glossy, then add 1 tbsp of the cold water. Cover and steam for a minute. Take off the lid and add in the peas, stir frying briefly, then remove the veg from the wok.With the wok on medium heat, add 1 tbsp of oil followed by the diced ginger and garlic. Slightly brown the ginger and garlic for 15 seconds before adding the char siu, chicken, and prawns. Stir fry for one minute until the meat starts to blister around the edges.Add the rice to the meat, using your spatula to loosen the grains and to get rid of any lumps. Add 1 tbsp of oil, salt, light soy, sugar and pepper. Toss until the seasonings are well mixed and the rice is piping hot.Break up the cooked eggs with your spatula then add them to the rice along with the cooked veg. Continue folding and tossing for another two minutes to combine all of the ingredients. Add the remaining water and toss for another minute. Finally, add the spring onions and fold to combine.

TO MAKE TIM’S FRIED EGG SPECIAL
    Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat. Add the oil and crack in an egg. Cook for until the egg white has just started to set, then drizzle the light soy sauce around the edge of the egg. Let the soy sauce caramelise and turn crispy before slipping the cooked egg atop a bowl of Special Fried Rice. Sprinkle fried shallots on top and pierce the runny yolk with a sharp knife.

TO MAKE THE CURRY SPECIAL
    Fold the curry powder into the Special Fried Rice. It will turn a lovely bright golden colour. Add the extra water and toss for a further minute before serving up and garnishing with sliced red chillies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back