Recruiting Targets Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a fair comment. You don't know the guy.

In the indigenous community there are going to be super talented footballers who struggle with the army like constraints of the AFL enviroment. Surely if our aboriginal academy and programme gives us an advantage it's in harnessing this talent. It might just be he needs an enviroment that understands his challenges.

Are you sure Freeo gave him the support needed and appropriate to circumstance. Or are we going to to be like McAllisters Collingwood and welcome black players as long as they behave like white boys?

It appears that Freo, the AFLPA, Simpson's managers and outside counsellors couldn't help him enough. While indigenous support is an area of strength for us, I think in this instance a year in the footballing wilderness would probably be best. If he decides he wants to be an AFL footballer, hopefully he will still be young enough and fit enough to be one.

It appears that Freo, the AFLPA, Simpson's managers and outside counsellors couldn't help him enough. While indigenous support is an area of strength for us, I think in this instance a year in the footballing wilderness would probably be best. If he decides he wants to be an AFL footballer, hopefully he will still be young enough and fit enough to be one.

Yep, not a cultural issue when you choose not to turn up to the airport for a flight because he was left out of the team and only named as travelling emergency.

Pass for a year or two. See how he copes in the real world trying to make a living.

Yep, not a cultural issue when you choose not to turn up to the airport for a flight because he was left out of the team and only named as travelling emergency.

Pass for a year or two. See how he copes in the real world trying to make a living.
Maybe he just didn't like Ross and his shit brand of footy?

Maybe he just didn't like Ross and his shit brand of footy?
Maybe... Was actually my thoughts but more likely just needs a little more time I'm not picking up stories of him being a bad kid my case for him if we feel we can help him get his head around what's required of a player to play football at our level and that it's something he wants to do then we can provide the best environment for him.

Not for leaving him in the wilderness for a year the chances are he would just get lost. On the other hand our rookie list for year.... This is exactly the type of player you would see benefiting from being on the rookie list and given a chance to adapt. Joshua is 150 game player if we can help out here. He's worth discussion.

Last edited:
Maybe... Was actually my thoughts but more likely just needs a little more time I'm not picking up stories of him being a bad kid my case for him if we feel we can help him get his head around what's required of a player to play football at our level and that it's something he wants to do then we can provide the best environment for him.

Not for leaving him in the wilderness for a year the chances are he would just get lost. On the other hand our rookie list for year.... This is exactly the type of player you would see benefiting from being on the rookie list and given a chance to adapt. Joshua is 150 game player if we can help out here. He's worth discussion.

Agree, especially when there is some suggestion that we will not fill all of our rookie spots. Nothing to lose , a 150 game super talent to gain if our programme helps him. Surely having Wangannen , Ryder, Pickett , Eugene Warrior, Paul Vandenbergh and Brendon Ah Chee who are all super impressive indigenous role models is a great opportunity to help Josh help us win a flag. Sometimes getting out of the home state helps too.

We really have an amazing asset in our indigenous set up and this is the perfect way to use it. Dayle Garlett is a bridge too far but this lad is really worth a punt.

The concern over Simpson in his draft year was that he was the father of a young girl who lived in Geraldton with her mother. That's getting close to as far west as you can get and with a time that has been described as 'turbulent' and following numerous interventions by Freo including time off, he sounds a lot like the young Nathan Krakouer. Sometimes these young players need time to mature. Not sure dragging him over to SA will work out well for anyone.

Dockers dump Simpson
The club stood him down from selection before he returned to play for Peel Thunder in the WAFL. But in June he was granted a leave of absence from the club to undertake a personal development program, which was overseen by Fremantle but involved the AFL Players' Association, Simpson's management and outside counsellors.
Fremantle football operations manager Chris Bond said the decision to delist Simpson came after he failed to meet the strict requirements of the program.
As we do with all players on our list, we have provided Josh with significant support and resources, including a personal development program which was carefully put together to assist him in dealing with personal and professional matters he faced away from football," Bond said.
Dockers dump Simpson

We have so few spots available on the list we have to choose wisely.

So few spots but you can't create talent. This kid has oodles. Our last rookie spot, if we use it, will not be like this. I'd even put him on the rookie list and let him stay in WA if needed, fly him to Adelaide to watch a few games, attend some of the clinics, get to know the players etc. He is a top 10 talent and whilst I see your point, if he does get his act together (more chance if we assist him) he will be inaccessible to us later.

I will go bunta if we don't fill all our rookie spots and he is left out of the system.

Cost- not much
Benefit-50% none, 25% some, 25% heaps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The chalice was the one that looked a little dodgy. We can roll the dice a little it'll be an adventure.

nah it was the one that looked like it belonged to a carpenter. not the flashy ones!

So few spots but you can't create talent. This kid has oodles. Our last rookie spot, if we use it, will not be like this. I'd even put him on the rookie list and let him stay in WA if needed, fly him to Adelaide to watch a few games, attend some of the clinics, get to know the players etc. He is a top 10 talent and whilst I see your point, if he does get his act together (more chance if we assist him) he will be inaccessible to us later.

I will go bunta if we don't fill all our rookie spots and he is left out of the system.

Cost- not much
Benefit-50% none, 25% some, 25% heaps

Then get ready to go bunta. Talent is worthless if there's no effort. We won't touch Simpson with a 10 foot pole. And we won't give Garlett a second thought. It will be a waste of time, effort and resources on our part, even if he is only a rookie.

Then get ready to go bunta. Talent is worthless if there's no effort. We won't touch Simpson with a 10 foot pole. And we won't give Garlett a second thought. It will be a waste of time, effort and resources on our part, even if he is only a rookie.
It's worth a punt though I believe, cause the lack of effort josh could is also likely to equal the lack of talent in the Rookie selection

It's worth a punt though I believe, cause the lack of effort josh could is also likely to equal the lack of talent in the Rookie selection
Would much rather someone like, say, reigning Brownlow Medallist Matthew Priddis, who no one would ever say is blessed with talent, on our list who is prepared to work his guts out for a chance to play AFL.

Drawing a long bow to make a comparison with Garlett?

We imagined a pathway for Liam Jarrah to find a way back into the AFL.

Joshuas issue seems to be the just hasn't adapted to the system not that he is out of control unless there's more going around we've heard about.

Port of course do due diligence.
If we feel the only issues are things that we may be able to help with then what is the worst that can happen? He packs up and leaves if it doesn't work out?
We are in a position that we are not going to get a look at naturally gifted players in the draft we need to get a little creative. I wouldn't be in a hurry to close the door on him.

also no to Kane Lucas

Alex Spina & James Battersby (delisted from the cows) would be ahead of Kane Lucas
Perhaps suffered a bit under Sanderson, was picked late so never got a decent preseason and yet more than held his own in a team full of individuals and at SANFL level as a skinny-ish kid this year. Many Crowies were surprised he got the chop. Tidy player, wouldn't be a stupid idea to offer him a training spot and a gig on the rookie list as a speculative option.

Also helps he comes from a Port loving family and was a die hard Port fan himself.

Id be keen to look at Spina. Was keen on him pre draft. Battersby no. Having watched him a few times this year, his game wont transfer to AFL at all. Short, slow, fat, outside players with poor kicks dont tend to make it.

Kane Lucas no. I dont think ive ever seen someone look so scared on a football field.

So you're keen to take a punt on a player that can't meet Hinkley's #1 rule (hard work)? If anything, players to take a punt on are the ones that have clear deficiencies in their game but are keen to work their guts out - they're the ones that have a real chance of success.

Drawing a long bow to make a comparison with Garlett?

We imagined a pathway for Liam Jarrah to find a way back into the AFL.

Joshuas issue seems to be the just hasn't adapted to the system not that he is out of control unless there's more going around we've heard about.

Port of course do due diligence.
If we feel the only issues are things that we may be able to help with then what is the worst that can happen? He packs up and leaves if it doesn't work out?
We are in a position that we are not going to get a look at naturally gifted players in the draft we need to get a little creative. I wouldn't be in a hurry to close the door on him.

I don't think it's a long bow to make a comparison with Garlett - he wasn't willing to put the hard yards in at Hawthorn. This is separate to his 'bad boy' image.

The AFL clubs in general provide a tremendous amount of support to the players - it's required of them as outlined in the CBA agreement between the AFL and AFLPA. If Fremantle couldn't make it work with Simpson in his home state, it's highly unlikely that he'll be any better off at Port Adelaide, even if he does remain in WA for the first year. At some point he's going to have to cross the Nullarbor and live in a wholly new environment. Sometimes it just is better to leave a player alone, completely, so they can play some local footy, mature at their own pace and then decide if they want an AFL career or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back