Player Watch Reilly O'Brien

Remove this Banner Ad

Was horrible yesterday, just no presence around the ground. Combine him with our treacle slow midfield and when we come up against any sort of decent ruck we are toast. Would drop him and bring Strawn or even Thilthorpe in to play first ruck. ROB cannot be our first ruck going forward.

ROB has consistently talked himself up about wanting to be elite however he struggled for impact and consistency

He will never be a great centre bounce ruck so he needs to simplify his game on impacting around the ground with workrate and contested marking

It was a strange and wrong call to give him a 5 year deal

On CPH2211 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey Sanders I think this avatar suits you better

uirTiYB.png

You can use it free of charge all I ask in return is to add me to your ignore list thanks.

He lost me last year against Collingwood at ADL oval, when they had not ruck and he got smashed. pigeon footed and cant hit out to advantage.

Twice this year he's been soundly beaten when he's been double-teamed.

On the weekend ROB had 18D/1M/27HO; Preuss had 10D/4M/34HO and Flynn had 8D/2M/15HO.
Against Essendon ROB had 8D/2M/25HO; Phillips had 8D/2M/26HO and Draper had 11D/3M/18HO.

He's not getting thrashed by one ruckman, he's being smashed in aggregate by two of them.
Maybe the answer isn't to replace him with Strachan but to play both of them?
(Or to gamble that he can't beat them, but the benefit of having another non-ruck in the side outweighs the cost of being smashed in the ruck).

He used to routinely be at the bottom of packs after clearances. It’s like he performed to a point that his spot became not in doubt and then just stopped doing the difficult stuff.

And unfortunately he’ll get away with it because no matter how bad he plays we won’t drop him for Strauchan.
I cannot like this this post enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twice this year he's been soundly beaten when he's been double-teamed.

On the weekend ROB had 18D/1M/27HO; Preuss had 10D/4M/34HO and Flynn had 8D/2M/15HO.
Against Essendon ROB had 8D/2M/25HO; Phillips had 8D/2M/26HO and Draper had 11D/3M/18HO.

He's not getting thrashed by one ruckman, he's being smashed in aggregate by two of them.
Maybe the answer isn't to replace him with Strachan but to play both of them?
(Or to gamble that he can't beat them, but the benefit of having another non-ruck in the side outweighs the cost of being smashed in the ruck).

He's been woeful all year apart from the Bulldogs game when they didn't have a ruckman
How about we drop him and give Strachan a go ?

He's been woeful all year apart from the Bulldogs game when they didn't have a ruckman
How about we drop him and give Strachan a go ?
What will bringing Strachan in against Carlton with no recognised ruckman actually prove?

Tom De Koning/Jack Silvagni got slaughtered in ruck by Todd Goldstein and Callum Coleman-Jones on the weekend and the week before by Sean Darcy and Rory Lobb.

Sure bring Strachan in but it's hardly a true test against established AFL rucks of the same quality that O'Brein's been pitted up against.

What will bringing Strachan in against Carlton with no recognised ruckman actually prove?

Tom De Koning/Jack Silvagni got slaughtered in ruck by Todd Goldstein and Callum Coleman-Jones on the weekend and the week before by Sean Darcy and Rory Lobb.

Sure bring Strachan in but it's hardly a true test against established AFL rucks of the same quality that O'Brein's been pitted up against.
Strachan has only played 2 games, what a perfect time to give him a game.
And last year against Grundy and Gawn, I thought he did quite well.
The other effect it may have is to put a rocket under ROB and say those performances aren't acceptable

Last edited:

On the flip side, what will ROB beating up on C grade rucks prove? He beat up on a finished Martin and then was smashed by Preuss.

It’s the perfect time to give Strachan an easier entrance back into afl and gives ROB a rocket

I don’t care if S stinks it up
Maybe he will.
Give him a block to prove himself
FWIW our ruck is an issue but it is our midfield that for years is our major problem

On the flip side, what will ROB beating up on C grade rucks prove? He beat up on a finished Martin and then was smashed by Preuss.

It’s the perfect time to give Strachan an easier entrance back into afl and gives ROB a rocket
Don’t forget he’s also been beaten by luminaries such as Lloyd Meek & Andrew Phillips, so even beating up C-grade rucks isn’t a given for ROB.

Strachan has only played 2 games, what a perfect time to give him a game.
And last year against Grundy and Gawn, I thought he did quite well.
The other effect it may have is to put a rocket under ROB and say those performances are acceptable

Reminds me of the time when Jenkins got dropped for the gold coast game, he was publicly farking livid because he knew he would've got a bag 😂😂😂. Sucked in you potato

Surely Strauchan destroys O'Brien consistently at training....

Surely Strauchan consistently destroys O'Brien at training....

Surely Strauchan destroys O'Brien at training, consistently....

My head hurts

Surely Strauchan destroys O'Brien consistently at training....

Surely Strauchan consistently destroys O'Brien at training....

Surely Strauchan destroys O'Brien at training, consistently....

My head hurts

ROB destroyed him in the Internal trial at the start of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back