Revolt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently Andrew Dillon was at some luncheon event at Crown the day before the Derby earlier this season. Does anyone know what was talked about there, and whether he gave any indication of things the AFL are considering for the WA teams? I'm assuming he just blew smoke up our proverbial, but keen to know if there was anything more.
I think I saw quotes from him at the time putting down any thoughts of a third WA side but **** all else

The situation has a surprising easy solution, force the non financially viable vic teams to “sell” home games to the WA teams, north and saints would make twice as much from gate takings if they played Freo and WC in WA instead of in front of 15,000 fans at marvel. They would still end up playing 14-16 games in vic every year anyway.
This week if we played saints in WA we’d have 3 games in a row at home.

The situation has a surprising easy solution, force the non financially viable vic teams to “sell” home games to the WA teams, north and saints would make twice as much from gate takings if they played Freo and WC in WA instead of in front of 15,000 fans at marvel. They would still end up playing 14-16 games in vic every year anyway.
This week if we played saints in WA we’d have 3 games in a row at home.
I like the idea but it is only a partial fix. It leaves the powerful Vic clubs in an even more powerful position relative to the weak Vic clubs which ain't great.

I like the idea but it is only a partial fix. It leaves the powerful Vic clubs in an even more powerful position relative to the weak Vic clubs which ain't great.
True, but considering North and hawks both currently play home games in Tas, once they have their own team, it would be easy to have them relocate to WA games. Clearly they won’t like it, but if it’s between folding or playing in WA, pretty sure they’d choose playing in WA.

The AFL wouldn’t make them play away games in WA in the same year, so the flow on would be the bigger vic clubs would be forced to pay away games in WA more often.

I’m sure it’s already been said, but the only way the fixtures would ever be seen as unbiased and fair, would be to pull them from a hat. It really wouldn’t be that hard and heck it might even be an event in-itself that raises its own form of revenue.

Maybe set a few rounds aside for the derby’s and special type rounds like we do, but leave the rest to the gods. If you still bitch and winge after that, well it’s you!

When even the most corrupt game in the world, soccer, manages to have a draw pulled from a hat and play each other twice H&A, it's no hyperbole to call the AFL the most fixed, manipulated, biased uneven comp in the world.

As someone said earlier, the AFL draw is purely about $, it is not about fairness or equity.

All coaches are essentially paid by the AFL though. like the players to the umpires are.

Gold Coast are basically an AFL operation. they've had what, three dud coaches. it's no insurance of anything.

The AFL could exist with an uncompetitive Melbourne just as it is with an uncompetitive North Melbourne. the issue is it was getting to such a serious state that they needed to step in and get them competitive. isn't that a good thing? they've won a premiership but they have barely been dominant.

Those clubs do receive lot more handouts than big Victorian clubs and the Eagles and Crows but so too do the northern clubs, which you seem to support and want in the comp. if North Melbourne, Melbourne, St Kilda, the Western Bulldogs are deemed 'unfinancial' than so too go the Suns, Lions, Giants, and probably Sydney Swans and Port and potentially Fremantle after a while.

You're looking at a 10-12 club competition. Tasmania absolutely won't come in, either.

The handouts exist purely on how clubs are faring financially. if Freo lost 20,000 members and crowds dipped to just as many, the AFL would help us out. there's not some giant conspiracy about the club. AFL need two WA clubs and there's no way they're dropping Freo, either for an Eagles monopoly or a new franchise.

Fair call, and interesting point, but I doubt the Federal Government would be able to get away with floating the mammoth amounts of money involved in junior football, country and suburban, state, and the senior game. it would cost billions to start up.
The AFL were that worried about Melbourne and the damage being done tot he AFL that they employed a person themselves to run the club. True story. No money no players no chance without assistances(Now, read North Melbourne)
The AFL were that concerned about Melbourne that they employed a coach to lead them out of the mire.
Yeah, the AFL were worried, very worried about Melbourne.
Not sure how you got that the AFL paysd all coaches. They are under the cap for the clubs to stand by .All coaches are employed by the clubs.Assistant coaches included.
The franchise club will never fold, they are owned by the AFL. Including Tassie when the come on line.
Fremantle ar financial enough to stand on their own.Never asked for hand outs and none were offered,
The AFL would still survive and thrice even more if the unfinancila VFL clubs were removed.
The game would be a much better game. Less non standard players as is happening now.
Look at which VFL clubs were broke in 1987 and look and see which clubs are still feeding off the AFL.
The AFL would thrive, the game would thrive with out them.
Less players, kids thrown on the scrap heap after thinking they had a career at the top level.
So many young kids destroyed and nothing to show for it.
Yep, the AFL would survive.

The AFL were that worried about Melbourne and the damage being done tot he AFL that they employed a person themselves to run the club. True story. No money no players no chance without assistances(Now, read North Melbourne)
The AFL were that concerned about Melbourne that they employed a coach to lead them out of the mire.
Yeah, the AFL were worried, very worried about Melbourne.
Not sure how you got that the AFL paysd all coaches. They are under the cap for the clubs to stand by .All coaches are employed by the clubs.Assistant coaches included.
The franchise club will never fold, they are owned by the AFL. Including Tassie when the come on line.
Fremantle ar financial enough to stand on their own.Never asked for hand outs and none were offered,
The AFL would still survive and thrice even more if the unfinancila VFL clubs were removed.
The game would be a much better game. Less non standard players as is happening now.
Look at which VFL clubs were broke in 1987 and look and see which clubs are still feeding off the AFL.
The AFL would thrive, the game would thrive with out them.
Less players, kids thrown on the scrap heap after thinking they had a career at the top level.
So many young kids destroyed and nothing to show for it.
Yep, the AFL would survive.
All clubs get about 10 million dollars in 'handouts,' as in direct money.

Fremantle get about 17 million a year, middle rung sort of stuff but still signifiant.

The clubs that were broke in 1987 was most (in)famously Richmond who are now very financially sound. it was also a borderline amateur competition with all but about a dozen players having day jobs. every single AFL club was playing at its or a traditional ground. one game was broadcast a week. all games were played at the same time. of course they'd be struggling. the only competition thriving with money then was the NFL in the US.

How many young kids are destroyed? issues with drugs and suicide are just emblems of general societal issues. there are probably thousands of guys who are trotting around in country leagues making a 10 or 30 grand a season because they played between 0 and 200 games on an AFL list.

Do you want the AFL to survive or not? I'm talking about professional Australian Rules. about 13 clubs would fold within a decade without the current AFL infrastructure and about six of them are non-Victorian.

I don't understand your core argument.

All clubs get about 10 million dollars in 'handouts,' as in direct money.

Fremantle get about 17 million a year, middle rung sort of stuff but still signifiant.

The clubs that were broke in 1987 was most (in)famously Richmond who are now very financially sound. it was also a borderline amateur competition with all but about a dozen players having day jobs. every single AFL club was playing at its or a traditional ground. one game was broadcast a week. all games were played at the same time. of course they'd be struggling. the only competition thriving with money then was the NFL in the US.

How many young kids are destroyed? issues with drugs and suicide are just emblems of general societal issues. there are probably thousands of guys who are trotting around in country leagues making a 10 or 30 grand a season because they played between 0 and 200 games on an AFL list.

Do you want the AFL to survive or not? I'm talking about professional Australian Rules. about 13 clubs would fold within a decade without the current AFL infrastructure and about six of them are non-Victorian.

I don't understand your core argument.
Where ever have I said I don't want it to survive?. I want to see a fairer even competition for all. If it means four badly run VFL clubs have to go, so be it.
A rather off the cuff slur on the kids that don't make it. Not all are on drugs.Also just look at the ones that are booted after their initial contract. Far too many.
Kids taken away from home way before they were ready.
Richmond were as bad as most other clubs in the VFL.
I keep telling people wjo refuse to believe the VFL, yes the VFL competition was broke. Had no money. Only thing that saved the entire competition was the $4 mil from the Eagles and Brissie at that stage.
Find an article written by a journo ,Jason Dowling, in The Age on May 6th 2016.

Last edited:
To me a full revolt is the only way to get the VFL to change.

Get SA, WA clubs, plus Sydney and Brisbane on board, then go to Tassie club, GWS and start a new comp.

Either get a fair comp, or at least bring the VFL to the table and get them to remove some of the advantages for the Victorian teams.

Where is Rupert Murdoch when you need him?

Maybe Lachlan is up for the challenge :)

Apparently Andrew Dillon was at some luncheon event at Crown the day before the Derby earlier this season. Does anyone know what was talked about there, and whether he gave any indication of things the AFL are considering for the WA teams? I'm assuming he just blew smoke up our proverbial, but keen to know if there was anything more.
Ryan did put a snippet of the luncheon in his report last night, when he asked Andrew Dillon if it's harder for a WA team to win a premiership. Dillon's answer - "Yes".

To me a full revolt is the only way to get the VFL to change.

Get SA, WA clubs, plus Sydney and Brisbane on board, then go to Tassie club, GWS and start a new comp.

Either get a fair comp, or at least bring the VFL to the table and get them to remove some of the advantages for the Victorian teams.

Where is Rupert Murdoch when you need him?

Maybe Lachlan is up for the challenge :)
Wont happen that way as all the clubs mentioned, other thanthe two WA clubs, are owned by the AFL.
What is the saying, don't bite the hand that feeds you.
The only chance would be if a few of the more viable VFL clubs stood with a few dissenters.
AHHH and just the mere mention of the Murdochs is a vile thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As per premierships won by the Eagles and travel, remember their first two flag were basically in a situation where it was still the VFL. The only extra travel was to Brissie.
Much less travel in those times.

Wont happen that way as all the clubs mentioned, other thanthe two WA clubs, are owned by the AFL.
What is the saying, don't bite the hand that feeds you.
The only chance would be if a few of the more viable VFL clubs stood with a few dissenters.
AHHH and just the mere mention of the Murdochs is a vile thought.

The clubs feed the AFL, not the other way around.

I would rather the Murdochs, than the VFL running the comp.

Unless they don't pretend to something they are not.

They also did a good job of the cricket, and the super league. The owners of 10 and Paramount are the modern equivalent of the murdochs anyway, so they would more than likely be the people to take on the AFL.

I am sure the clubs could change owner, or create a new team with out too many issues.

The clubs feed the AFL, not the other way around.

I would rather the Murdochs, than the VFL running the comp.

Unless they don't pretend to something they are not.

They also did a good job of the cricket, and the super league. The owners of 10 and Paramount are the modern equivalent of the murdochs anyway, so they would more than likely be the people to take on the AFL.

I am sure the clubs could change owner, or create a new team with out too many issues.
Cricket was Packer, not Murdoch.
Wouldn't touch Murdoch with a ten foot barge pole.
To leave the AFL affter they have poured so much into the game, would become very very, extraordinary costly for any one wanting to buy the franchises and clubs like PA, Crows, Brissie .

Cricket was Packer, not Murdoch.
Wouldn't touch Murdoch with a ten foot barge pole.
To leave the AFL affter they have poured so much into the game, would become very very, extraordinary costly for any one wanting to buy the franchises and clubs like PA, Crows, Brissie .

The VFL need a kick up the arse. So are so vic centric it is not funny.

If you know another way to make them care about SA or WA teams, I am happy to hear it. This is the only way I can think of, that may work.

They will be happy if Vic teams win 35 of 40 premierships.

The VFL need a kick up the arse. So are so vic centric it is not funny.

If you know another way to make them care about SA or WA teams, I am happy to hear it. This is the only way I can think of, that may work.
I agree they need a reminder that WA football money saved the VFL.WA money plus the $4 mill from Brissie.
But the cost of private companies like Packer or Murdoch would be far too costly.
We lost our chance of change way back in 1986.

I agree they need a reminder that WA football money saved the VFL.WA money plus the $4 mill from Brissie.
But the cost of private companies like Packer or Murdoch would be far too costly.
We lost our chance of change way back in 1986.

Even now, SA and WA put more money into the AFL, than they take from the AFL plus the money the AFL puts into SA and WA grass roots football.

The current status co of the AFL not giving a shit about WA or SA teams can't continue.

Where ever have I said I don't want it to survive?. I want to see a fairer even competition for all. If it means four badly run VFL clubs have to go, so be it.
A rather off the cuff slur on the kids that don't make it. Not all are on drugs.Also just look at the ones that are booted after their initial contract. Far too many.
Kids taken away from home way before they were ready.
Richmond were as bad as most other clubs in the VFL.
I keep telling people wjo refuse to believe the VFL, yes the VFL competition was broke. Had no money. Only thing that saved the entire competition was the $4 mil from the Eagles and Brissie at that stage.
Find an article written by a journo ,Jason Dowling, in The Age on May 6th 2016.

'Kids taken away from home' give me a ****in break, they don't have to nominate for the draft. this is barely the Stolen Generation. this is 17-year olds on 200k making more than their mates in trades or school ever will. it's not like they're being abducted at night.

The VFL was broke and the Eagles helped bail them out.

That was also 40 years ago...

Wanting to see clubs fold is like wanting to see people at work be sacked. it's ****ing nasty and cruel and very 'well I've got mine!'

'Kids taken away from home' give me a heckin break, they don't have to nominate for the draft. this is barely the Stolen Generation. this is 17-year olds on 200k making more than their mates in trades or school ever will. it's not like they're being abducted at night.

The VFL was broke and the Eagles helped bail them out.

That was also 40 years ago...
Just shows how weak the WAFC have been in allowing it to go 37 years and still not done something about it.
If you can't see how much better off the entire competition would be with four less unviable teams then you need new glasses.
Why don' we look st making it a 26, maybe 30 team competition. More players at a level that is nowhere near what should be required at AFL level.

heck you, I've got mine is the Australian way, don't ya know?
So, you want to keep employing more unemployable players!.
Like glass of scotch, the more ice or water you add, the weaker it gets.
Not a case of ,I got mine screw the rest. Ig is a case of keeping quality in thd competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back