News Richmond Blueprint 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

THIS Brendon Gale-led Richmond Football Club is vastly different from past versions.

In his fifth year, coach Damien Hardwick at one point sat with just three wins and 10 losses, 16th on the ladder after a winless month.

We know what usually happens then. Surely the coach goes. Supported? What?

Read more: Blueprint Part 1

RICHMOND says it better understands how to play three big men in the same forward line after struggling to fit them all in at times last season.

Ben Griffiths, 23, was preferred as a goalkicking partner to Jack Riewoldt, 26, in the final two games despite the availability of Tyrone Vickery, 24, after a four-game suspension.

Exciting tall Liam McBean is also expected to push for a senior berth next year after kicking hauls of 30 goals in each of his two VFL seasons.

Read more: Blueprint Part 2

THE outlook for Richmond was challenging.

When the team hit 15th under Terry Wallace in 2009, the Tigers were faced with the introduction of two new franchise clubs and years of compromised drafts that threatened to trap the club in the lower reaches of the ladder.

It was Blair Hartley’s job to find a shortcut route through the Richmond rebuild — without compromising its long-term future — by targeting a raft of free agents and mature-age players, including Ivan Maric, Troy Chaplin, Shaun Grigg, Steve Morris and Bachar Houli.

Read more: Blueprint Part 3

Just for those who didnt read the hard copy, they have the side bars with stats. (All clubs get this)

BOOM & BUST AT the draft table, since 2011

GOLD- Excellent output/potential/pick value.
Lennon, Vlas, Chaplin, Houli, Ellis, Maric, Morris
The Tigers free agents have added enormous value. Ellis is on track to become an elite small defender-midfielder. Lennon's ball use is first class.

SILVER- Very good output/potential/pick value.
Gordon, Lloyd, Petterd, McDonough.
For a couple of late picks, Gordon and Lloyd have shown a lot of promise around the goalmouth after stints in defence. McDonough could add the hard edge to the forward line.

BRONZE- Developing/injured.
Hampson, McIntosh, McBean, Knights, Elton.
There is a considerable excitement about McBeans development in the VFL, kick8ng bags of 30-plus goals in his two seasons. Elton flourished as a stopper in the twos.

I thought overall one of the more positive RFC articles.....
Wow!! I read the bit where Blair Hartley said that "Francis and his team had done an amazing job".Surely he isn't talking about Francis Jackson and the recruiting team. Is he for real?
Do we not remember last year. Win 9 games in a row and does everyone forget about our very ordinary recruiting, list development and player development.
Sometimes, the problem with having a problem is the inability to recognise there is a problem. It would seem that Blair Hartley, and I am assuming RFC's football management, have fallen in to this trap.
I have recollections of the president saying something like " no stone will be left unturned in our quest to find out what has gone wrong". A string of wins and suddenly PROBLEM SOLVED.
Don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow!! I read the bit where Blair Hartley said that "Francis and his team had done an amazing job".Surely he isn't talking about Francis Jackson and the recruiting team. Is he for real?
Do we not remember last year. Win 9 games in a row and does everyone forget about our very ordinary recruiting, list development and player development.
Sometimes, the problem with having a problem is the inability to recognise there is a problem. It would seem that Blair Hartley, and I am assuming RFC's football management, have fallen in to this trap.
I have recollections of the president saying something like " no stone will be left unturned in our quest to find out what has gone wrong". A string of wins and suddenly PROBLEM SOLVED.
Don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gale, O'Neal and Hardwick have all said that they don't believe the 9 game win streak is something that glosses over the poor start to the year. They said this at the Jack Dyer medal.

Also: Cotchin, Rance, Martin, Riewoldt, Ellis, Vlastuin, Conca in our last few drafts? Pretty sure they're all going to be 200+ game players for the club... that isn't good enough recruiting. The whole "poor second round/ third round selections" argument has been done to death, and our success rate mirrors that of the majority (if not the whole) of the competition.

Gale, O'Neal and Hardwick have all said that they don't believe the 9 game win streak is something that glosses over the poor start to the year. They said this at the Jack Dyer medal.

Also: Cotchin, Rance, Martin, Riewoldt, Ellis, Vlastuin, Conca in our last few drafts? Pretty sure they're all going to be 200+ game players for the club... that isn't good enough recruiting. The whole "poor second round/ third round selections" argument has been done to death, and our success rate mirrors that of the majority (if not the whole) of the competition.
Couple of points.
Conca .v. Heppell?????
Vlastuin unproven yet. Could be a winner, but we don't know.

And to "forget" the poor second round/ third round ( and every other round) draft picks is exactly what I was referring to.
But then you were probably happy with the season.

Couple of points.
Conca .v. Heppell?????

And to "forget" the poor second round/ third round ( and every other round) draft picks is exactly what I was referring to.
Conca will have a far superior year to Heppell next year.

I hear what your saying Goldfrog , but I don't believe the club is glossing over anything. Given the number of player delistings, not just this season but since Dimma arrived at the club. Increases in footy dept spending, beefing up of recruiting, quality of coaching staff appointments & the discussion around the coaches & players responses to the 3-10 position this year...just my 2c worth.

I hear what your saying Goldfrog , but I don't believe the club is glossing over anything. Given the number of player delistings, not just this season but since Dimma arrived at the club. Increases in footy dept spending, beefing up of recruiting, quality of coaching staff appointments & the discussion around the coaches & players responses to the 3-10 position this year...just my 2c worth.

I really, really hope you're right, TJ, but please forgive my cynicism when I read the sort of crap that Blair Hartley was reported as saying in the Herald Sun. FJ's efforts, and that of Hartley himself, have been shithouse, a fact that didn't escape most Big Footy subscribers who went through this in great detail last year and published wholesale criticism of our football dept efforts.
I'm not suggesting that Hartley should say that in public, but better to say NOTHING than to continue on with the garbage that we, as supporters, were subjected to last year.
I will be convinced when they DO things, not when they SAY things. But as I said, I'm with you in wanting them to get it right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again I hear what your saying. But I'm not sure of the club's representatives not being able to say nothing. If that occurred, would the media just not want to speak to them(our club) again ? Thus putting sponsors offside ? Due to lack of exposure. I think you have to give them something. Also I don't think you'll see individual club members disagreeing at least in public given the way things went with Jack's comments earlier this year & how the media like to blow it out & milk it for all it's worth..

Gale. Peggy. Dimma. All said we won't gloss over the 9 in a row and do something.

Trade period yielded us four fifths of heck all.

This is the draft they need to nail every pick. This is the pre season they need to develop like they say they can. This is the season that no excuses happen for where we finish in the season.

This is it. The last straw.

Couple of points.
Conca .v. Heppell?????

You could go all through the drafts and provide match-ups. Watts v Natanui, Cotchin v Kruezer etc. I'd be very concerned if were drafting first rounders who were duds. This has yet to be the case. All our first rounders are clearly best 22 players, still with a large scope to improve.

I also never said 'forget' the poor second round/ third round. I said that in comparison to the rest of the AFL, we have roughly the same success rate. And in my opinion, are getting better in recent years. Proof will be in the pudding.

And I wasn't happy with the season. I thought it may be beneficial moving forward (this is our expectations, this is what we can do, if we don't to the little things we lose etc) but certainly am not 'happy' with it.

Please do not put words in my mouth.

You could go all through the drafts and provide match-ups. Watts v Natanui, Cotchin v Kruezer etc. I'd be very concerned if were drafting first rounders who were duds. This has yet to be the case. All our first rounders are clearly best 22 players, still with a large scope to improve.

I also never said 'forget' the poor second round/ third round. I said that in comparison to the rest of the AFL, we have roughly the same success rate. And in my opinion, are getting better in recent years. Proof will be in the pudding.

And I wasn't happy with the season. I thought it may be beneficial moving forward (this is our expectations, this is what we can do, if we don't to the little things we lose etc) but certainly am not 'happy' with it.

Please do not put words in my mouth.

In the spirit of the debate, I agree we have nailed some great first round picks. Deledio, Cotchin, Reiwoldt, and Ellis are as good as any and you would be delighted with them. But getting first rounders correct would be a minimum KPI I would have thought for recruiting officers. You would be a very easy marker if you said Conca was a success as pick 6. Vlastuin and Lennon show promise but I don't think we can fairly judge them yet.
My point is that Hartley said Jackson has done an "amazing" job. If he said that he has done an "adequate job", I wouldn't argue the point one way or the other, but they are his words, not mine.
If Jackson's efforts are "amazing" then I am totally incorrect about my definition of the word. I guess everyone sees it differently.
And I do apologise about putting words in your mouth, I simply made an assumption. I think our recruiting and development activities are ordinary and said so many times last year. The fact that some other clubs might languish around at our level is not relevant for mine.
We may well be much better this year in these areas, but words won't do it as far as I'm concerned, actions will.

Quite likely a fair point. I haven't followed which Essendon players have and have not been involved, the whole drug thing shits me and those responsible for introducing it to that club should take it up the arse.

Without lube!

Agree on that sentiment completely!

In the spirit of the debate, I agree we have nailed some great first round picks. Deledio, Cotchin, Reiwoldt, and Ellis are as good as any and you would be delighted with them. But getting first rounders correct would be a minimum KPI I would have thought for recruiting officers. You would be a very easy marker if you said Conca was a success as pick 6. Vlastuin and Lennon show promise but I don't think we can fairly judge them yet.
My point is that Hartley said Jackson has done an "amazing" job. If he said that he has done an "adequate job", I wouldn't argue the point one way or the other, but they are his words, not mine.
If Jackson's efforts are "amazing" then I am totally incorrect about my definition of the word. I guess everyone sees it differently.
And I do apologise about putting words in your mouth, I simply made an assumption. I think our recruiting and development activities are ordinary and said so many times last year. The fact that some other clubs might languish around at our level is not relevant for mine.
We may well be much better this year in these areas, but words won't do it as far as I'm concerned, actions will.

Fair enough.

I'd be equally concerned though if Hartley came out in the article and said 'Look, I'm doing my job well, but our recruitment team led by Francis Jackson has done an adequate job at best'. :p

Fair enough.

I'd be equally concerned though if Hartley came out in the article and said 'Look, I'm doing my job well, but our recruitment team led by Francis Jackson has done an adequate job at best'. :p

I agree with that. Maybe best he just says nothing and let Richmond supporters be the judge.

I really, really hope you're right, TJ, but please forgive my cynicism when I read the sort of crap that Blair Hartley was reported as saying in the Herald Sun. FJ's efforts, and that of Hartley himself, have been shithouse, a fact that didn't escape most Big Footy subscribers who went through this in great detail last year and published wholesale criticism of our football dept efforts.
I'm not suggesting that Hartley should say that in public, but better to say NOTHING than to continue on with the garbage that we, as supporters, were subjected to last year.
I will be convinced when they DO things, not when they SAY things. But as I said, I'm with you in wanting them to get it right.
Given what we've given up to get those players (Hampson excepted) and the situation we found ourselves in with the compromised drafts, we have done pretty well and it has been recognised by those outside the club too. You go through every clubs drafting in hindsight and ask why they missed x or why they picked y.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back