Summer RIO 2016 - Athletics (Track & Road events) 12th to 20th Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

How is it possible for Bolt to get all those times without taking ped's? I have my doubts surely it's just not possible for nobody else to come close to him without juicing.
They are all on stuff, but he has some massive genetic advantage on his side, ie height and length of stride, that he been able to take advantage of, that Asafa Powell never really has been able to. Plus Bolt is able to run relaxed unlike Powell and may others who panic especially against Bolt.

What a win by Bolt! He looked to have it won by around the 60 metre mark.

It was a very strong final time wise, with only 0.07 separating 2nd from 6th.

Gatlin got his excellent start. For all the vitriol directed at him, you have to respect the way Gatlin conducts himself.

He now has the full set of medals at 100m, gold in 2004, silver here and bronze in 2012.

Yep, I'm over the garbage about Gatlin. Even Bolt didn't like the way his rival was booed.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/usain-bolt-brands-justin-gatlin-8633113

They (Bolt and Gatlin) also get along off the track but the media don't really want to get into that do they?

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/three-facts-you-didnt-know-about-usain-bolt-justin-gatlin-rivalry

The media's GOOD vs EVIL narrative between these two has overshadowed and somewhat ruined the build-up to these races going back to last year's World Champs and has unfortunately continued to these Olympics. Here's what Michael Johnson said recently when queried on the state of athletics:

It is why Johnson rejects the simple idea that one man, even one as brilliant as Bolt, can save the sport on his own. That was the prevailing mood at least year’s world championships in Beijing, when Bolt beat the tainted Justin Gatlin to the gold medal. And although not excusing Gatlin for his doping past, Johnson feels the fixation on painting him as a villain was ultimately self-defeating.

“I don’t think the media did a very good job from that standpoint,” he says. “What was lost was a fantastic build-up to the race. But we weren’t talking about that. We were talking about good versus evil. We were building up this narrative that Justin Gatlin represents everything that’s wrong with the sport.

“Not to defend what he did, but Gatlin doesn’t make the rules. People like simple narratives: good versus evil. And in terms of Bolt, I don’t think it’s fair to put that sort of pressure on him.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics...state-of-athletics-ahead-of-rio-2016-olympic/

Good summary.. For me, track and field is my favourite part of the Olympics. . So far we have seen some amazing performances especially today with 100m and 400m.

Mo's win was just unbelievable especially after his fall.
Thanks I will do one for the field events later and stick it in that thread.. There have been at least 3 cracking last round jump or throw finishes

Today was shades of that Tuesday I think it was a Tuesday, in Atlanta in 1996 when Michael Johnson going for the first time ever 200/400 double does the first leg the 400m in Olympic record and only just shy of Butch Renyolds' decade long WR, has the adulation of everyone but then King Carl comes out and 45 minutes later wins his 4th consecutive long jump and joins Al Oerter as the only other athletics person or any other sports man/woman to do 4 in a row at the Olympics. Johson was pissed off and ran the 200m a few days later angry to make sure he would get the attention.

Van Niekerk was bloody brilliant today and it should have been his night of nights but Bolt upset his time in the sun by winning his 3rd in a row. Now van Niekerk wont spit the dummy like MJ but his greatness needs to be acknowledged.
reminds me of Rudisha in London. clearly the run of the meet for me but overshadowed by the colossus that is Bolt.

same applies here. i've watched the 400 replay you posted about 6 times and i still cant believe it. he goes out hard with no idea where the rest of the field is and actually accelerates down the home straight. all this with a smooth, almost perfect form, making it look effortless like all the greats do (with the exception of MJ)

Bolt was very, very good. WVN was simply incredible

The Aussie girl in the 400m semi final what a dissapointment

edit - both of them terrible
neither had great runs but they were both way out of their league.

sure they'd be disappointed but only something close to a miracle was going to see them qualify

sure they'd be disappointed but only something close to a miracle was going to see them qualify

I don't know much about Mitchell Morgan besides that she wants to be the next Cathy Freeman.

Looks like she's lacking speed, she wasnt impressive today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-15_20-1-49.jpeg
    upload_2016-8-15_20-1-49.jpeg
    8.1 KB · Views: 15
I have goosebumps writing this as I wait in the huge line outside of olympic stadium to get on the train with hundreds of people chanting Usain bolt, Usain bolt!

That was incredible, clearly not his best but it's about winning at this stage. 3 straight gold medals in the 100m is something I didn't think I'd see and to be here tonight in rio has blown me away.

BUT....that 400m run by Van Neikerk is simply astonishing. I'm lost for words having witnessed that. One of the greatest ever sprint performances of all time.
so jealous
sofa king jealous

Yep I was expecting Mitchell to outperform Rubie but I wasn't expecting miracles. Mitchell's heat was very good, but I think she panicked in the semi and will cost her. She's only 21 and will learn a lot from that, hopefully it makes her hungrier for the future. Is still pretty green when it comes to high level competition, and has only really knuckled down in the last 12 months and that is not enough time to create an Olympic finalist, but shows she is on the right path. Rubie is very likeable, no star but very gutsy and doesn't give in. Also quite young at 24, don't think she has the natural talent but won't be shocked if she makes a final at the World Championships or Olympics in the future. Was only ranked 30th in the world I think coming into this.

I have goosebumps writing this as I wait in the huge line outside of olympic stadium to get on the train with hundreds of people chanting Usain bolt, Usain bolt!

That was incredible, clearly not his best but it's about winning at this stage. 3 straight gold medals in the 100m is something I didn't think I'd see and to be here tonight in rio has blown me away.

BUT....that 400m run by Van Neikerk is simply astonishing. I'm lost for words having witnessed that. One of the greatest ever sprint performances of all time.
I've had enough of pepsi reminding is that he's over there. I liked him more making random comments on the SEN thread.

Good special comments from Tamsyn Lewis-Manou.

Actually, I reckon that this T&F commentary team has been the best assembled. Tamsyn has been surprisingly good (far better than Fleming or Gainsford-Taylor), Bruce IS a good commentator who knows his stuff, the Culbert/Hooker partnership works really well in the field, and Patty Welsh is the best poolside/trackside interviewer we have.

No complaints.

Actually, I reckon that this T&F commentary team has been the best assembled. Tamsyn has been surprisingly good (far better than Fleming or Gainsford-Taylor), Bruce IS a good commentator who knows his stuff, the Culbert/Hooker partnership works really well in the field, and Patty Welsh is the best poolside/trackside interviewer we have.

No complaints.

Just more Peter Donegan. Brilliant caller. Though I think Bruce has stepped up well and is doing a fine job. Dropped a lot of the unnecessary histrionics.

Yep, I'm over the garbage about Gatlin. Even Bolt didn't like the way his rival was booed.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/usain-bolt-brands-justin-gatlin-8633113

They (Bolt and Gatlin) also get along off the track but the media don't really want to get into that do they?

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/three-facts-you-didnt-know-about-usain-bolt-justin-gatlin-rivalry

The media's GOOD vs EVIL narrative between these two has overshadowed and somewhat ruined the build-up to these races going back to last year's World Champs and has unfortunately continued to these Olympics. Here's what Michael Johnson said recently when queried on the state of athletics:

It is why Johnson rejects the simple idea that one man, even one as brilliant as Bolt, can save the sport on his own.

I agree completely.

I feel the mainstream media is too lazy to cover track and field and therefore feel the need to sell the sport along these sensationalist lines.

This campaign of hatred towards him detracts from the quality of the actual overall sport and guys like De Grasse, etc don't get any attention and column inches and web articles get devoted to this good versus evil narrative.

Good special comments from Tamsyn Lewis-Manou.

Watching the highlights show, womens 400m semi-finals and the Aussie girl finished last. Tamsyns comment was, she needs to go home and work on her speed.

Good tip.

Yeah I heard that this morning and thought the same. She just needs to get faster you reckon Tamsyn? You obviously need to have gone to an Olympics yourself to have that sort of insight.

Shame we only got to see half of the last steeple heat. With 7 showing Anna Meares on 2 channels they just couldn't fit it in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back