Summer RIO 2016 - Basketball 6th to 21st Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

OK now that the preambles are finished, let's focus on the real stuff.

Nike

2016-Olympic-Basketball-Uniforms.jpg

QXCY2uHWKU6o0g1CSac7bQ.jpg

As you can see Nike have adopted a simple yet effective look. When USA released their threads, many were dismissive and found it repugnant. Some on the Bigfooty Basketball Board declared it "Vic Market quality", "dastardly plain", and "Curry > Irving".

Adidas

iSI55LIhSEin_4YQh5hPuA.jpg

Y01x1yolGEiyCPQcH1XYQg.jpg

(in photo order - yes, no)

YS6SlspRuU6JuTzOwTt5FA-1.jpg

Adidas are applying a yoke look, that looks like a sports bra. For Australia Boomers it is somewhat distracting with the T in the countrys name basically morphing into the yoke! It would've been much better if the letters were in white.

That was unreal.

What a pass by Teodosic to Bojan. Bojan should be going better than 1-5 from 3, and if he did...oh boy.

I went holy s**t and Gaze just couldnt believe it was the tone in his voice about it.

Got to wonder how much better Australia could be if Dante Exum was fit and Ben Simmons played. Simmons would probably get that match up on Carmelo Anthony and Exum as a wing defender would be very handy as well.

Got to wonder how much better Australia could be if Dante Exum was fit and Ben Simmons played. Simmons would probably get that match up on Carmelo Anthony and Exum as a wing defender would be very handy as well.

Honestly think we would have won with them. We slipped when we had to play the bench, that team would be massive depth.

Imagine the passing with bogut, delly, Simmons, exum all on the court. *drool*

i cannot agree. playing exum means less minutes for dell and primary scorer mills.
simmons is unproven and possibly overawed by the olympic experience.
Simmons overawed by the Olympic experience wow lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i cannot agree. playing exum means less minutes for dell and primary scorer mills.
simmons is unproven and possibly overawed by the olympic experience.

While I wouldn't say overawed, the physicality of it may put him off his game slightly. I'm not saying he's soft, just it would be hard to make the adjustment during the tournament. In 4 years he should be near unstoppable at this level.

While I wouldn't say overawed, the physicality of it may put him off his game slightly. I'm not saying he's soft, just it would be hard to make the adjustment during the tournament. In 4 years he should be near unstoppable at this level.
Show me one thing here Baynes can do better lol. Other than being a prick. The kid has had more pressure put on him and than any Australian Basketballer in history.
He has won 3 highschool national championships and put up numbers in college not seen since Larry Bird and still gets hammered. We are a much better team with him on the court than Baynes.

Show me one thing here Baynes can do better lol. Other than being a prick. The kid has had more pressure put on him and than any Australian Basketballer in history.
He has won 3 highschool national championships and put up numbers in college not seen since Larry Bird and still gets hammered. We are a much better team with him on the court than Baynes.

You sound like you're Ben's mum, hi Ben's mum. I wasn't hammering him sweety, I was just saying that he might not be as effective as some think he would because of the fact he would be getting hammered by some pretty big, powerful guys every time he touches the ball.

You sound like you're Ben's mum, hi Ben's mum. I wasn't hammering him sweety, I was just saying that he might not be as effective as some think he would because of the fact he would be getting hammered by some pretty big, powerful guys every time he touches the ball.
The response was meant to go to Peter North but thanks for showing that if i respond to you i know i am dealing with a moron.
@ Peter there is nothing that Baynes has shown that says Simmons wouldn't be a substantial improvement on in that team in every aspect.
His transition offence in that game alone would have been devastating with the amount of bricks the US were throwing up.

it is a futile exercise dealing with would've beens and should've beens.

insert simmons in for baynes? less depth at the pivot. bogut goes down or gets into foul trouble, who plays centre?

Baynes out for Simmons I think was meant for the starting line up, not the squad. It'd probably be Broekoff out of the squad and as mentioned that significantly improves rotation off the bench. But as others have indicated, we were staying competitive thanks to good ball movement and Simmons is world class in that regard.

The response was meant to go to Peter North but thanks for showing that if i respond to you i know i am dealing with a moron.
@ Peter there is nothing that Baynes has shown that says Simmons wouldn't be a substantial improvement on in that team in every aspect.
His transition offence in that game alone would have been devastating with the amount of bricks the US were throwing up.

you said baynes is better at being a prick. please elaborate on this.

take baynes out of the squad, simmons in. depth at centre takes a hit. suddenly the whole game complexion changes. baynes provides intangibles that do not show on a box score.

but let's take your hypothesis as an exercise. baynes is out of the starting 5, instead simmons starts instead of him. without added bulk and rim protection, USA take advantage with durant and george using their atheticism and quickness to find gaps down low.

on offense, USA dare simmons to shoot. and double down on mills. simmons unable to consistently make 15-20 footers. cousins gains confidence after 2 quick fouls and is able to get more touches. soon bogut is in foul trouble. lack of depth in australian squad results in demoralising loss.

there is no guarantee simmons would result in anything different

At least when you call someone a moron, have the intelligence required to quote the right post, lol....

They don't even play the same position...can't compare.
Simmons yet to even play against men so to try call others stupid for not thinking a kid with potential is the difference between beating the US or not is naive to the extreme because it's not that simple and a ridiculous hypothetical.

I am watching the Nigeria-Croatia game and this Nigerian PG has no idea what to do against the press - was running backwards into the corner of his own half to get away from it :huh:

Also, the refs clearly want Croatia to get up here (currently down 75-84) with the number of ridiculous calls (and non-calls) in the last few minutes

Speaking of the Nigerian team, not really a fan of the fact that they only have one player who was even born in Nigeria (and I'm pretty sure he was raised in the US). It's practically just a shitty United States team.

Don't think Simmons would struggle. shouldn't be a starter but coming off the bench. wouldnt have to play spectacular but he adds length, rebounding power and a driving threat or a drive and dish out with his passing. More valuable than say Goulding standing in the corner.

He wouldn't be the first young kid to play without seeing proffesional games. I wouldn't play him if our hopes purely rested on him but surrounded by the best team we have seen he could handle it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back