Summer Rio 2016 - Sailing

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Haven't seen a dedicated thread for a sport that often goes under the radar in terms of media coverage despite our success in Olympic Games. So far in Rio it appears the same trend is occurring.

Coming into the last days of competition Australia is well placed again to pick up several medals in the Mens 470, Nacra 17 mixed, Men's Laser class and Finn. All are currently placed in the top 3 with the Nacra crew in the gold medal position.

Belcher in the Mens 470 is the current Olympic champion and rarely makes mistakes. He's a terrific chance to go back to back. Tom Burton in the Men's Laser has been climbing the rankings each day in Rio - he's now placed 2nd and an outside chance of snatching gold.

Jake Lilley in the Men's Finn class is exceeding expectations and is currently in 3rd place. It would be an outstanding result if he could medal. The gold medal is all but sewn up to the Brit, Giles Scott.

Would be nice of C7 to give a little bit more coverage to a team that remain out of the spotlight but continue to overachieve.

Last edited:
Been really excited by Lilley, love the Finn class and it's great to see an Australian doing well. Hope he can keep it up.

Was pretty annoyed that they ditched the women's match racing after London, thought that was one of the most exciting events.

Been really excited by Lilley, love the Finn class and it's great to see an Australian doing well. Hope he can keep it up.

Was pretty annoyed that they ditched the women's match racing after London, thought that was one of the most exciting events.

That and the Star class. Such a beautiful boat. Unfortunately sailing has to stay "relevant" like the rest of the Olympic sports.

Yeah, I'm an Etchells and Dragon sailor so I'm biased towards keelboats.

I have mixed feelings about dinghy racing but at least the sailing isn't all cats and sailboards - yet, anyway.

Yeah, I'm an Etchells and Dragon sailor so I'm biased towards keelboats.

I have mixed feelings about dinghy racing but at least the sailing isn't all cats and sailboards - yet, anyway.

We'll know that ISAF and the IOC have lost the plot if kite surfing gets a gig

Last edited:
Long live our sailors.

doesnt sound like it will be a gold mine like London(that was outstanding so no slight to them) but they still look like our best performing team and sadly always out of the spotlight.

will also add that it is the 3rd games in a row where they have done well. just a great team

Interview with the 49ers boys, gives a bit of background on where they went wrong.

Disappointing they've put themselves so far behind, I was hoping they'd give the Kiwis a good run for their money.

How is everyone following the sailing, by the way? I can't find a decent stream or live blog, and the Sailviewer 3D app doesn't work with my version of Android.

Serious question why do they have separate men's and women's in sailing? Isn't it an equal sport or are there significant advantages being male?

Just comes down to size and strength like most other sports. The vast majority of women would be completely uncompetitive in the men's single handed classes of Finn and full rig Laser. Remembering that the guys that sail Finn's are generally 95kg and over. 470 would be a class that would possibly be more even but it would take an exceptional women's crew to win gold against the men.

I watched a lot of the sailing in 2012, pity that's not an option this time around. I haven't seen anything at all so far.

Serious question why do they have separate men's and women's in sailing? Isn't it an equal sport or are there significant advantages being male?
The Olympics often splits sports by the sexes. In single handed sailing the male will usually always win. In 2+ up dinghy sailing it is equal if the female is on the tiller (helming) provided she is not too light and we are not talking about double/triple trapezes etc such as on 18 foot skiffs.

In keel boat racing females do not have the same strength or stamina, unless they are helming (or navigating in offshore racing).

Non-Olympic - I did off-shore blue-water keel-boat racing for decades back in the day - very rare for females to be in the racing crew. They have more sense ;) But they are very welcome in a delivery crew...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone in the know please explain what was happening at the start of the race and what the tactic of Burton was to force a penalty . Because watching it I thought why wouldn't the Croation bloke just sail to the start line with the rest of them since he only needed to finish within a few places to win gold.

Can someone in the know please explain what was happening at the start of the race and what the tactic of Burton was to force a penalty . Because watching it I thought why wouldn't the Croation bloke just sail to the start line with the rest of them since he only needed to finish within a few places to win gold.
Basically Burton was maneuvering to lock Stipanovic out and give him a bad start. Starting in sailing is tricky because of right-of-way rules, and having to time your approach on the right vector to ensure you hit the line at exactly the right time whilst travelling full speed. So it's pretty easy to work out what approach a given boat needs to take to the line. If you want to * up another guy's race it's not hard (as long as you don't mind ******* yourself up too).

Burton was counting on the Croat getting aggressive and trying to get past when he shouldn't - which he did, got into a position where he had no room to manoeuvre and collided with Burton. That meant a penalty turn, and gave Burton the opportunity to get ahead.

It was a ballsy move by Burton, but it came off beautifully.

Basically Burton was maneuvering to lock Stipanovic out and give him a bad start. Starting in sailing is tricky because of right-of-way rules, and having to time your approach on the right vector to ensure you hit the line at exactly the right time whilst travelling full speed. So it's pretty easy to work out what approach a given boat needs to take to the line. If you want to **** up another guy's race it's not hard (as long as you don't mind ******* yourself up too).

Burton was counting on the Croat getting aggressive and trying to get past when he shouldn't - which he did, got into a position where he had no room to manoeuvre and collided with Burton. That meant a penalty turn, and gave Burton the opportunity to get ahead.

A combination of luck and skill that he was able to work his way through the fleet after missing the start too. He could quite easily have ****ed that up and got bronze.

Basically Burton was maneuvering to lock Stipanovic out and give him a bad start. Starting in sailing is tricky because of right-of-way rules, and having to time your approach on the right vector to ensure you hit the line at exactly the right time whilst travelling full speed. So it's pretty easy to work out what approach a given boat needs to take to the line. If you want to **** up another guy's race it's not hard (as long as you don't mind ******* yourself up too).

Thanks that makes sense... and I'm tipping a penalty turn means he has to perform a 360 degree manoeuvre before moving forward?

The Olympics often splits sports by the sexes. In single handed sailing the male will usually always win. In 2+ up dinghy sailing it is equal if the female is on the tiller (helming) provided she is not too light and we are not talking about double/triple trapezes etc such as on 18 foot skiffs.

In keel boat racing females do not have the same strength or stamina, unless they are helming (or navigating in offshore racing).

136198776138.jpg

In all seriousness, though, good to see the sailors doing well. A gold already and plenty more medals expected.

A combination of luck and skill that he was able to work his way through the fleet after missing the start too. He could quite easily have stuffed that up and got bronze.
Yup. But he had no chance at gold without taking Stipanovic out of the race.

Basically, by adapting a match racing mentality at the start, Burton said to the Croatian "I'm willing to trade silver for bronze, in order to make sure you get silver instead of gold. Let's see who blinks first." The Croatian blinked, tried to pass and the rest is history.

Very ballsy and if it hadn't come off people would be calling him a wrecker.

Last edited:
Yup. But he had no chance at gold without taking Stipanovic out of the race.

Basically, by adapting a match racing mentality at the start, Burton said to the Croatian "I'm willing to trade silver for bronze, in order to make sure you get silver instead of gold. Let's see who blinks first." The Croatian blinked, tried to pass and the rest is history.

Very ballsy and if it hadn't come off people would be calling him a wrecker.

Was the Croat number 2 in the world?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back