Summer RIO 2016 - Swimming (Pool Only) 6th to 13th Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

That might be the case if it was an individual time trial where everyone just goes and swims in the pool on their own after each other. But it's a race where everybody effects each other. If we magically could put an 18 year old Chalmers in the pool in London with he might have lifted more and still swam faster than his competition that day.
I think that element is minimal, particularly in the shorter races. Chalmers only led with five metres to go, if someone swam a low 47 seconds in the 100 he would not have been able to catch them. He wouldn't have even been able to see more than a couple of lanes either side of him.

I think that element is minimal, particularly in the shorter races. Chalmers only led with five metres to go, if someone swam a low 47 seconds in the 100 he would not have been able to catch them. He wouldn't have even been able to see more than a couple of lanes either side of him.
Who cares. Every pool is different, every race situation is different. It's like saying the Hawthorn team of 2016 was better than the Hawthorn team of 2015. Do you think Bolt was upset that his time this Olympics was slower than last time?

I can't find it but someone wrote thank good no more Basil - or words to that effect.

You obviously didnt watch the open water swim last night, men's is on tonight and then there is triathlon. ;) I dont see any expert triathletes on the 7 commentary panel. Haha Bruce for the run, Phil for the cycling and Basil for the swim. You know it makes sense. :D

I can't find it but someone wrote thank good no more Basil - or words to that effect.

You obviously didnt watch the open water swim last night, men's is on tonight and then there is triathlon. ;) I dont see any expert triathletes on the 7 commentary panel. Haha Bruce for the run, Phil for the cycling and Basil for the swim. You know it makes sense. :D

so Basil is back tonight again???

He was so shocking last night, I had to stop watching the marathon.

A part of me feels the Aussie team copped a bit of payback after the Horton - Sun Yang 'drug cheat' statements from day 1 of the program.

Horton clearly was not acting in the spirit of the games with his comments and the Aussie team at no stage acknowleged the comments were unnecessary, rather took a firmer defensive stance on the matter.

The 4 × 100 relay team had this element of 'winning a gold medal is easy' to them and I feel that this level of cockiness may have rubbed off on the team.

Horton himself had a pretty average 200 metre relay leg and never really contended for a medal during the entire 1,500.

The Campbell sisters from the relay performed below expectations.

It looks like there may have been an underlying feeling of arrogance mixed with complacency that may have filtered through the camp.

Last edited:
A part of me feels the Aussie team copped a bit of payback after the Horton - Sun Yang 'drug cheat' statements from day 1 of the program.

Horton clearly was not acting in the spirit of the games with his comments and the Aussie team at no stage acknowleged the comments were unnecessary, rather took a firmer defensive stance on the matter.

The 4 × 100 relay team had this element of 'winning a gold medal is easy' to them and I feel that this level of cockiness may have rubbed off on the team.

Horton himself had a pretty average 200 metre relay leg and never really contended for a medal during the entire 1,500.

The Campbell sisters from the relay performed below expectations.

It looks like there may have been an underlying feeling of arrogance mixed with complacency that may have filtered through the camp.

Horton appears to me to be quite arrogant and self assured. Whilst I agree with his opinion of drug takers it was not particularly smart of him to inflame the issue during the Games. Both his parents look to be Liberal voting tossers from a couple of interviews I've seen from them during the trials and Games - they've have probably told young Mack how wonderful he is for the last 10 years and encouraged him to express his opinion come what may.

I wondered myself whether that issue distracted the swimmers from their focus. Did they feel any extra pressure to perform after this became an issue? I assume their social media pages were also filled with abuse. Can't have be a positive factor.

Horton appears to me to be quite arrogant and self assured. Whilst I agree with his opinion of drug takers it was not particularly smart of him to inflame the issue during the Games. Both his parents look to be Liberal voting tossers from a couple of interviews I've seen from them during the trials and Games - they've have probably told young Mack how wonderful he is for the last 10 years and encouraged him to express his opinion come what may.

I wondered myself whether that issue distracted the swimmers from their focus. Did they feel any extra pressure to perform after this became an issue? I assume their social media pages were also filled with abuse. Can't have be a positive factor.
Yep I think Horton was being bit of a dick.

Hardly think you can attribute Hortons antics to our swimming team drinking the Kool Aid. Mind you Horton even got blamed for a non existent hack by the Chinese of the ABS census so I guess your theory is more plausible than that one.

I read somewhere that the 2 head honchos (old boys club) of Oz swimming are pulling in A$500K and $400K pa respectively. Not bad for a part-time job. And Oz swimming gets around A$28M taxpayer funding. Compared to US $0 tax-payer funding.

Go figure.

It's funny how even though swimming gets 2-5 gold medals per Olympics it gets an awful lot more funding than sports like Sailing or rowing which perform just as well. What do the swimming head honchos actually do to deserve $500k taxpayer funded salaries anyway.

I read somewhere that the 2 head honchos (old boys club) of Oz swimming are pulling in A$500K and $400K pa respectively. Not bad for a part-time job. And Oz swimming gets around A$28M taxpayer funding. Compared to US $0 tax-payer funding.

Go figure.
Without that tax payers money I'd bet there would be no "im just happy to be here with my sister" talk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny how even though swimming gets 2-5 gold medals per Olympics it gets an awful lot more funding than sports like Sailing or rowing which perform just as well. What do the swimming head honchos actually do to deserve $500k taxpayer funded salaries anyway.
I think John Bertrand (ex-yachtie, ex-America's cup hero, very well connected) is the head of AS on $500K.

Very well connected being the reason.

What does he do which is worth $500K pa? Ensuring that he remains very well connected, obviously.

Whatever this Lomas joker is smoking I want some

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympic...ympics-games-performance-20160814-gqsch1.html

.......Bertrand's email followed Lomas' report on the Games, which Bertrand describes as "a brilliant summary of the culture within this team".

Lomas writes: "As we move toward the conclusion of our Olympic pool competition, it is natural that we begin to reflect on some of the things that we have witnessed this week ...

"In doing this, we have heard and read a lot about team culture. Our team promotes and facilitates a values-driven, learning-oriented, process-focused culture.

"What this means is that our values drive who we are and how we treat ourselves, our teammates, our sport and our country.

"We are committed to the personal and professional growth and learning of our people. And we are focused on great processes that enhance performance both in and out of the pool.

"So how does this translate in the team and the pool? The key is our language. We have the courage to tackle difficult conversations in a timely and professional manner. If there is an issue, it's the behaviour or the action that we confront, not the person. By removing the action/behaviour from the person, we retain value and respect for our teammate, but bring to their attention, and gain understanding on what it is that any member of the team wants to address.

"This allows people to maintain a feeling of value and worth. We don't allow ourselves to diminish a person's worth by the language we use.

"Whether someone achieves peak performance or they miss their own goal and dream through a sub-optimal performance, the individual's value is retained. They retain the confidence and support of their teammates, regardless.

"It's a small, but important factor. We stay connected and strong as a team as we ride the roller-coaster."

At least Horton backed his arrogance up with a gold medal. You're kidding yourself if you think all these American swimmers aren't equally full of themselves.

Whatever this Lomas joker is smoking I want some

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympic...ympics-games-performance-20160814-gqsch1.html

.......Bertrand's email followed Lomas' report on the Games, which Bertrand describes as "a brilliant summary of the culture within this team".

Lomas writes: "As we move toward the conclusion of our Olympic pool competition, it is natural that we begin to reflect on some of the things that we have witnessed this week ...

"In doing this, we have heard and read a lot about team culture. Our team promotes and facilitates a values-driven, learning-oriented, process-focused culture.

"What this means is that our values drive who we are and how we treat ourselves, our teammates, our sport and our country.

"We are committed to the personal and professional growth and learning of our people. And we are focused on great processes that enhance performance both in and out of the pool.

"So how does this translate in the team and the pool? The key is our language. We have the courage to tackle difficult conversations in a timely and professional manner. If there is an issue, it's the behaviour or the action that we confront, not the person. By removing the action/behaviour from the person, we retain value and respect for our teammate, but bring to their attention, and gain understanding on what it is that any member of the team wants to address.

"This allows people to maintain a feeling of value and worth. We don't allow ourselves to diminish a person's worth by the language we use.

"Whether someone achieves peak performance or they miss their own goal and dream through a sub-optimal performance, the individual's value is retained. They retain the confidence and support of their teammates, regardless.

"It's a small, but important factor. We stay connected and strong as a team as we ride the roller-coaster."

Consultant-speak motivational psycho-babble straight out of the weekly Walmart magazine. He forgot to add at the end, after "roller coaster" - of the taxpayers' money.

PS He forgot to add "results-driven culture". Funny, that. Could be a micro-aggression. Bit too close to the bone maybe. Too confronting and so on.

FMD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back