RIP Cam McCarthy

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all, just a reminder that should today's news be triggering for you then there are resources and people out there which I cannot recommend enough:

Lifeline - 13 11 14
Beyond Blue - 1300 224 636
MensLine Australia - 1300 789 978
Headspace - 1800 650 890

Otherwise feel free to reach out to one of us, or each other.

:purpleheart:

Last edited:
Thought it was very interesting how Pavlich, who is not a very interesting guy, spoke about Cam at the end of the game.

Basically noted how Fyfe and Pearce laid the flowers and got on well with him, but then singled out Pearce for 'still keeping in contact with Cam after he left the club.' and then he started saying 'for everyone else well it would have been easy, they don't know him.'

Which is fair and everything – they didn't know him.

But think it speaks a lot of how people are treated, he wasn't a nobody who was only on the list for nine months.

Cam was not perfect either or a totally agreeable, always readable guy, but just thought it was a very weird thing of Pav to say. essentially, that no one else at the club really spoke to the bloke once he left (and he did basically just leave mid-season once the club told him he wouldn't get a contract for the following year).

No idea why he is putting out that tweet along with the other dumb s**t I've seen him post on social media.
He was pretty happy dawdling around the ground and carrying on injuring himself at music festivals but taking the clubs money for near on ten years but now they're the enemy.

If he thinks or thought something was up, he needs or needed to address that.

you just need to read some of the posts on here to know the level of abuse thrown at Freo players
Cameron McCarthy's issues were not that some people said some bad things about his football online. in fact, lots of Dockers supporters really liked him and even those who didn't especially rate him or envisioned him succeeding still had a real romantic desire to almost naively hope he would. he was one of the first guys we really got back and he seemed destined to be a Docker success.

He had very serious troubles, clearly, and insinuating he did something as drastic as this because of online comments is underestimating the poor fella's mindstate. and it's overestimating how much players care about somewhere like bigfooty or the instagram comments.

Cameron McCarthy's issues were not that some people said some bad things about his football online. in fact, lots of Dockers supporters really liked him and even those who didn't especially rate him or envisioned him succeeding still had a real romantic desire to almost naively hope he would. he was one of the first guys we really got back and he seemed destined to be a Docker success.

He had very serious troubles, clearly, and insinuating he did something as drastic as this because of online comments is underestimating the poor fella's mindstate. and it's overestimating how much players care about somewhere like bigfooty or the instagram comments.
I never said this was the case with Cam, but we are contributing to the mental health issues of all young players (not all have suicided, but many have ceased playing).

Several players like Yeo and Clark talked about social media issues this week and the impact on their mental health.

Sadly, too many supporters are consumed with their multis.

He was pretty happy dawdling around the ground and carrying on injuring himself at music festivals but taking the clubs money for near on ten years but now they're the enemy.

I don't think he was digging at the club.
I might be vague to you, he has lost 4 mates.
Sounds like lamenting that he has lost 4 guys that he played football with.

Thought it was very interesting how Pavlich, who is not a very interesting guy, spoke about Cam at the end of the game.

Basically noted how Fyfe and Pearce laid the flowers and got on well with him, but then singled out Pearce for 'still keeping in contact with Cam after he left the club.' and then he started saying 'for everyone else well it would have been easy, they don't know him.'

Which is fair and everything – they didn't know him.

But think it speaks a lot of how people are treated, he wasn't a nobody who was only on the list for nine months.

Cam was not perfect either or a totally agreeable, always readable guy, but just thought it was a very weird thing of Pav to say. essentially, that no one else at the club really spoke to the bloke once he left (and he did basically just leave mid-season once the club told him he wouldn't get a contract for the following year).
Pav wouldn't know all that goes on. He has not been at the club for 10 years.

I remember listening to a podcast he did a year or two back where he spoke about how he found himself in a pretty bad place after footy but was now out of it and starting to enjoy life again. Heartbreaking.
During the 2022 season every time I saw him he seemed to be getting better. Looked like he finally defeated his demons. Last year he went AWOL and it was a little worrying. The thing about Cam was no matter what he was going through, he was always happy and down for a chat. I heard his old man is a good bloke as well. His family must be so devastated. Rest in peace Cam, you will be missed ❤️

It's not really relevant in Cam's situation but I think people actually underestimate, rather than overestimate, how many players and players families read social media and online content. That's their main source of communication. They might not read the papers, who does. The whole 'players won't read it' just seems a convenient excuse for those who think it's ok to make personal attacks on players via social media.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

What a gross over reaction, he could very well be implying he has lost 4 ex teammates/mate from his footy days.

It's not really relevant in Cam's situation but I think people actually underestimate, rather than overestimate, how many players and players families read social media and online content. That's their main source of communication. They might not read the papers, who does. The whole 'players won't read it' just seems a convenient excuse for those who think it's ok to make personal attacks on players via social media.

I'd be surprised if many current day AFL players read Bigfooty - but definitely Instagram and Facebook

Absolutely heartbreaking. Having been around footy clubs all my life, teammates & past players are like brothers. I didn’t know Cam, but I feel like I have let him down. Don’t know why?
You just can’t imagine how the players were feeling tonight. They’ve lost a brother & would be feeling like they’ve let him down.

1715350944360.png

It's not okay, but at the same time if social media is affecting your mental health then don't go on it. Life will go on if you don't use Twitter or Insta. In fact I'm sure it will improve. Reckon it would be better to start weening ourselves off of it tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zac is Alex’s business partner and good mates with Cam. He can say whatever he wants

This board is so ******* embarrassing

Can confirm from first hand knowledge that Zac Clarke and Cam McCarthy were very good mates. Zac did a lot of stuff with Cam to try and help him out of the hole he was in. Ultimately there’s only so much he (anyone) could do. Zac will be completely shattered by this.

c966b5c5ce76be69f35b52acff87f0bf.jpg

This is up on Rockingham Rd in Phoenix

It makes me so sad

He was one of those players who could do things you can’t teach

Was my favourite player in his short time at Freo

I wish things had gone differently for him

RIP Cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cried my guts out yesterday, I don't care what anyone thinks of me. This type of thing hits home when I think about these guys, so young...living their dream (something we all want to do, deep down inside..), only to see it become their nightmare. No one knows exactly how they think or feel except those closest to them or anyone they can confide in - which would be hard in their bubble, especially when they're delisted and become yesterday's news. For many, they're just confined to the scrapheap.

I watched the game last night, I couldn't care less about the result. I really didn't want to, but a part of me romanticised that Cam could 'influence' the game from "beyond" and so I (begrudgingly) tuned in. I choked up seeing Fyfe and Pearce before the bounce and I knew then the game was lost. Not that that matters to me.

Just a 'friendly' reminder. They're not robots these guys, it was the wrong time for them to have to play emotionally/mentally, but unfortunately, the game must 'go on'. We wouldn't want to upset the AFL coffers now. Their minds were not in it enough to truly be focused and what they did, was with gusto, heart and passion. They didn't have the class to punish Sydney in the game, but....as I keep saying, it's all irrelevant right now.

Ultimately, the show will go on...Cam will be forgotten, and the rabid, tunnel-visioned fans here (and elsewhere) will go back to focusing on their precious football and lamenting the 'misfortunes' of the team whenever they fall or fail at the first hurdle. The cycle of life, including death.

RIP Cam. I'm glad you got your wish to represent the club, if only for a brief moment in time. You will be sorely missed, even from those that never truly knew you

I cried my guts out yesterday, I don't care what anyone thinks of me. This type of thing hits home when I think about these guys, so young...living their dream (something we all want to do, deep down inside..), only to see it become their nightmare. No one knows exactly how they think or feel except those closest to them or anyone they can confide in - which would be hard in their bubble, especially when they're delisted and become yesterday's news. For many, they're just confined to the scrapheap.

I watched the game last night, I couldn't care less about the result. I really didn't want to, but a part of me romanticised that Cam could 'influence' the game from "beyond" and so I (begrudgingly) tuned in. I choked up seeing Fyfe and Pearce before the bounce and I knew then the game was lost. Not that that matters to me.

Just a 'friendly' reminder. They're not robots these guys, it was the wrong time for them to have to play emotionally/mentally, but unfortunately, the game must 'go on'. We wouldn't want to upset the AFL coffers now. Their minds were not in it enough to truly be focused and what they did, was with gusto, heart and passion. They didn't have the class to punish Sydney in the game, but....as I keep saying, it's all irrelevant right now.

Ultimately, the show will go on...Cam will be forgotten, and the rabid, tunnel-visioned fans here (and elsewhere) will go back to focusing on their precious football and lamenting the 'misfortunes' of the team whenever they fall or fail at the first hurdle. The cycle of life, including death.

RIP Cam. I'm glad you got your wish to represent the club, if only for a brief moment in time. You will be sorely missed, even from those that never truly knew you

Well said! Now I’m bawling again lol

You can see how much the players were affected by it, in the moment you can be upset at them for not performing (myself being one of them), however I don't think you can blame them for being off their game when a lot of them were grieving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back