News RIP Malcom Young

Remove this Banner Ad

AC/DC Legend Malcolm Young Has Died
RIP Mal Young

malyoung2_optimized.jpg
Getty

Malcolm Young, legendary AC/DC icon, has passed away aged 64.

Vale Malcolm. The quiet one who was the backbone of the band for decades.

It's been a tough month for the Young family. First George and now Malcolm.

Malcolm, much has been said better than I can, so I'll just quote my brother, quite an accomplished guitarists himself.

"The thing with Malcolm is, he keeps such tight rhythm, you don't need to rely on the drummer, Malcolm keeps the time and you could easily follow him".

Whilst some would say it ended too soon and under awful circumstances, Malcolm lived a good life, left a hell of an impression, and his work will never go uncredited amongst those who really know how good he was at what he did. So happy I got to see him on the Black Ice tour. The entire Black Ice album was great.

Rage tonight is dedicated to Malcolm Young. Starts around 12:30

Malcolm's funeral was today. In good Scottish tradition.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...l/news-story/f420c99d223ab3db19cbcde9a1545030

THE world knew AC/DC founder Malcolm Young as one of the greatest rhythm rock guitarists of all time. His family revealed so many different facets to the acutely private 64-year-old musician as they farewelled him at St Mary’s Cathedral in Sydney today. Representing Malcolm’s brother Angus, wife O’Linda and their children Cara and Ross, nephew Bradley Horsburgh shared that the legendary rocker was also passionate about soccer, loved dumb comedy films and was a catastrophe around boats.

He regaled the mourners which included family, AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson, former drummer Phil Rudd, nephew and guitarist Stevie Young, Australian rockers Jimmy Barnes, The Angels’ John and Rick Brewster and Angry Anderson, promoter Garry Van Egmond and Sony chairman Denis Handlin, with hilarious tales of Malcolm’s boating disasters.

d4cfd3f6bc2cfd734e36493f4e98d4ee

6c2adfedb6502255e3dbee5432775b2e

d3946bea454ad998255ffe6aec3db9a3

A procession including a bagpipe band walk the hearse down College

So pretty much just AC/DC

Sent from mTalk
I missed the rage special so not sure what was played (will see if it's on ivew), but Malcolm played the lead guitar in part 1 of Evie by Stevie Wright, as well as rhythm & lead guitar on some other Wright songs (Hard Road, Black Eyed Bruiser etc). He played lead on a few tracks of High Voltage but then went to strictly rhythm ("he didn't want to make it cry or sing" lol) from TNT onwards.

Another Vanda & Young project The Marcus Hook Roll Band "Tales of Ol Granddaddy" also features some early Malcolm and Angus guitar work, including some slide guitar. Alex Young played sax on some of those tracks too. Not sure if Stevie, the oldest Young brother, was involved in music professionally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back