RIP Mark Naley

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel there has been a genuine oversight in my personal supporter history in having zero idea he was an indigenous man. Came over with a clutch of superstars in the mid-eighties and played some serious footy for us. Recall him snagging 4 for SA in a SOO game. Could play. Go well, Nails.

Came over in '87 a year after we got our guns from SA.
I too didn't realise he was an indigenous man as well.

Met a Blues Life Member early this year who’d come over to see him.

May as well repeat it.

‘told me about Mark Naley, who’s been serious crook for a couple of years.

Anyhoo, Naley turns up in ‘87, with the shits, as his arch nemesis, Platten wins a flag/Brownlow in his first year, and all everyone talks is how we missed out on The Rat and he still got a car off us.

Things don’t start well for Nales, he’s not up to AFL fitness, and gets dropped after Round 2, and he’s stuck in the magoos.

Back then, there was the SOO game on a Tuesday night and Naley was picked for the CrowEaters as second rover after Platten.

So out goes Naley, Carlton seconds player, answering to a resting Platten.........and he goes bang.

4 in a quarter, next week back in the ones, ends up with a dozen Brownlow votes and plays in a premiership.

.....and he was the only player in the universe that knew he was as good as Platten.

Noice.‘

Legend.

Wouldn't we like a player like Naley in our team right now, came to us in his prime and was a beauty.
RIP Mark, gone far too soon. Thanks for leaving us with some great memories.

Hope this is appropriate fellas

Watched him in The SANFL. often doing well against my team. Loved him at Carlton. Enjoyed him playing for SA in SoO and he always came along to the Carlton SA Blues supporters functions here in Adelaide.

Great player and even nicer fella.
Sad today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

.....and he was the only player in the universe that knew he was as good as Platten.
A lot of players and fans in SA knew just how good he was and many rated him on equal footing with Platten. Nails had been a star over here and was AA the year before he headed over to you guys.
Had been a slow and painful journey to the end but he always had time for a yarn with a smile.

My memory of Mark is attending the 1987 Grand Final .
I came over from Adelaide and adopted Carlton that day cos of their SA contingent and was in turn adopted by a bunch of Blues supporters for the day.
They were pretty nervous at 3/4 time but I told them relax , you'll kick the first goal in the last quarter and win.
After a stalemate in the last that seemed to last forever , sure enough Nails got the ball , ran towards the goal and put it through , and Carlton never looked back.
They looked at me , smiled , and handed me a beer.
Rest in Peace. Far too early . Memories of a golden era of SA players .

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

A genuine question Arr0w, but better hands than Diesel?

I still remember a game towards the end of his time with us, where he suffered an injury and ended up playing on one leg. I suspect it was against Melbourne, and from memory, he did pretty well!

What I mean by better hands, as soon as he gathered the ball at a stoppage, he used it lightening quick

Never saw anything like it

In fact, everything was lightening quick, even by foot

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP Mark Naley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back