Preview Rnd 19 v Geelong - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Word coming through that the clubs will be running through a single banner to show unity and respect.
Oh well done Cats. Unexpected but much appreciated. I for one am still very grateful for the respect shown by your team at McVeigh's first game back after his personal tragedy.

=
Oh well done Cats. Unexpected but much appreciated. I for one am still very grateful for the respect shown by your team at McVeigh's first game back after his personal tragedy.
Was an emotional day. Hopefully it will help convert a few fence sitters. Concerned it will continue to polarise an ignorant 1%.

Hardly a conspiracy to think the coach of an AFL side can make the wrong call, But good to see you resort to the same old rhetoric
Come on SS. As much as I do think you have a good grasp of footy I doubt you're privy to the inside dope on how players are managing their load.

Come on SS. As much as I do think you have a good grasp of footy I doubt you're privy to the inside dope on how players are managing their load.

I prefer to manage my own load

I stand by my call Mitchell as sub is dumb, you can all disagree thats fine

The Geelong captain and a few players have put a message on their website, great stuff Cats. Be interesting the thoughts on the Cats board
it's a mixed bag. There is a bit of sentiment about it being Selwoods 200th and wanting to acknowledge that.

Personally I think that it is fantastic - shows that this issue is bigger than an individual achievement. No doubt there will be a few moronic boos, but hopefully if they lack support they will disappear as most cowards do. Overall I am confident that the crwod will respect Goodes and what he stands for.

But I still hope that we smash you buggers !!!

it's a mixed bag. There is a bit of sentiment about it being Selwoods 200th and wanting to acknowledge that.

Personally I think that it is fantastic - shows that this issue is bigger than an individual achievement. No doubt there will be a few moronic boos, but hopefully if they lack support they will disappear as most cowards do. Overall I am confident that the crwod will respect Goodes and what he stands for.

But I still hope that we smash you buggers !!!

Yeah I get what you mean. The last time teams ran through the same banner a coach had died. It's really really classy by Geelong but a tad of an overreaction to a blown up situation IMO.

It's a bit of a toughie..on the one hand, you don't wanna see the booing...at least not targeted at goodes...but then any prologned overly exaggerated booing at our other players, umps etc could be misconstrued as indirectly aimed at goodes?... on the other hand, if crowd gets too subdued, you feel they lose their intimidation factor and thus home ground advantage.

We could even see eerie silence every time goodes gets the ball. Game will be interesting in more ways than one.

Yeah I get what you mean. The last time teams ran through the same banner a coach had died. It's really really classy by Geelong but a tad of an overreaction to a blown up situation IMO.

I know what you mean, they probably don't have to do it but I'm glad they are doing it, it's all about respect. Fans will always boo, but not like this when it's rooted in such hatred, racial or otherwise. You only have to read the comments under any article about Goodes to know this has gone beyond what is 'fair'. It just isn't footy.

(Btw even a certain Hawthorn mod with whom I often disagree said that while he boos Buddy with a passion, which is his right, even he finds the booing of Goodes, regardless of why it's done, to be distasteful)

it's a mixed bag. There is a bit of sentiment about it being Selwoods 200th and wanting to acknowledge that

That's easy, just have all the players duck when they run through the banner. Problem solved!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to say, hands up if your standing of Geelong as a football club has gone up this week. I know mine has. Really isn't hard to be respectful. I love footy, and the one thing I tell every single person that I go to the footy with...respect all the players, regardless of whether they play for you or not. Sure I barrack for the Swans, but I have always at least clapped the opposition on and off the field. It is called respect. Not that hard.

Well done to both teams.

That's easy, just have all the players duck when they run through the banner. Problem solved!
This is a ****ing disgrace. What would you think if one of their supporters posted:

That's easy, just have all the players point or throw an imaginary spear when Goodes runs through the banner. Problem solved!

This is a ******* disgrace. What would you think if one of their supporters posted:

That's easy, just have all the players point or throw an imaginary spear when Goodes runs through the banner. Problem solved!
Bit harsh! I think most people took it as a bit of fun.

This is a ******* disgrace. What would you think if one of their supporters posted:

Geez can't get away with anything with you around. One of the things I like about you as a poster is that you don't shy away from the facts. But that was a harmless joke and nothing to do with my opinion of Selwood as a footballer, as I certainly do respect him. And if one of their supporters posted that about Goodes on their own team's board I wouldn't give two hoots.

Last edited:
I also took it as tongue in cheek. Still cant it just say well done Selwood, and we respect adam and those two can run through together first?

It's Selwood's milestone so I wouldn't want to take anything away from that, but the single banner is a nice gesture that shouldn't overshadow his achievement.

I'm expecting Goodes to get booed. I'd say that the balance of reasonable people who refrain will be more than replaced by those who will do so even though they didn't before just to make some misbegotten point about freedom.

I'd laugh it off as it was done in humour. BTW, Selwood doesn't usually duck (ala Hawthorn players), he lifts his arm causing the tacklers to slip and contact him high. I don't have a problem with that, it's a form of shrugging a tackle, whereas duckers should always be penalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back