Preview Rnd 4 - Carlton v Gold Coast, Saturday 10th Apr Metricon Stadium 7:25pm - Team post #931

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree Liam Stocker’s drawback is poor aerobic capacity, he must be able to see out in a match or least at least 2 to 3 quarters.
Has ability but fitness level is uninspired.

Setters had gastro and Teague said he will be fine for next week.

If we assume he plays, then it’s a question of whether they drop Cottrell - which would be a war crime - or Dow - which would make sense.

I would also drop Levi for Gov and have Omac as the medical sub. As I said in the autopsy thread, Gold Coast do not have a ruckman at the moment. So, even if Pittonet needs a chop out that player will be rucking against someone like a Levi Greenwood or Burgess.

Hopefully Williams comes up. Hopefully there are no other issues across the week.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Good call except, Omac on the bench as chop out ruck and a runner like Cuningham as the sub.

In light of all that has occurred...

In: McGovern (can kick snags)
Out: Dow (providing nothing offensively and defensively)

Give JSOS Dow's stoppage minutes around the ground, play McGovern forward predominately.

Removing all emotion from selection and picking the best 22, in addition to the above:

In: Cuningham (usurps Murphy), McDonald (2nd ruck and resting forward)
Out: Murphy (pointless), Casboult (doing nothing)

Have the same changes.

In: McGovern, McDonald and Cuningham
Out: Casboult, Murphy, Dow

I know Murphy won’t be dropped, but we’re carrying 2 players in Dow and Casboult which we simply can’t afford to do. This is getting extremely frustrating tbh.

I think we need to keep playing Dow in the seniors (if only to build his confidence)

He was not one of our better players, but I liked his attack on the ball and I feel like he desperately kept trying.

A big part in player/man management is instilling faith and trust and confidence in players something I feel Dow has not gotten enough from our MC (or supporters, and I have been one of them)

I certainly think it's worthwhile playing him against an injury riddled Gold Coast outfit.

It could take just one great game or two to turn Dow's game and career around, he needs the chance and a good block of continuity/block of games in the seniors to do so.

Also Setters really annoyed me with his efforts against the Pies, still happy for him to sit this one out and earn his spot again.

Setters had gastro and Teague said he will be fine for next week.

If we assume he plays, then it’s a question of whether they drop Cottrell - which would be a war crime - or Dow - which would make sense.

I would also drop Levi for Gov and have Omac as the medical sub. As I said in the autopsy thread, Gold Coast do not have a ruckman at the moment. So, even if Pittonet needs a chop out that player will be rucking against someone like a Levi Greenwood or Burgess.

Hopefully Williams comes up. Hopefully there are no other issues across the week.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

If Cottrell is dropped next week I want a thesis from Teague as to why.

If no injuries, you take the same 22 to GC. Having said that, I would rather a midfielder as a sub. Setters probably.

JSoS & Betts are crucial to our forward line. Love their work rate and smarts. No debate.
Fogarty will help with the Martin and Fisher losses. Happy days.
Parks helps push SPS further up the ground. Was a delight watching SpS carve through the middle of the ground. Boys need to trust him more.....more happy days.

Now to improve on 4 quarter efforts, go another notch or 2 with our pressure and our clearance setups and ruck work. Pitts has gone backwards in his tap work. Need to fix our centre bounce setups, especially defensive side of the circle.

Much more work to do and still a long, long way to go. One win - Need to backup this week with another.

The coach referred to Casboult in his presser as part of the group he’d put it on to deliver. “And they delivered.”

So let’s forget Cas being dropped this week.

Dow the only possible I’d say. But maybe no change.

Depends how they see the fitness of McGovern. 50/50 chance to come in this week.

Crikey he must be easy to please then. Probably the type that praises the Uber driver for showing up. Teague can still be the nice guy and still make the sensible and tough calls at selection. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Betts was useless aside from that one brilliant goal. Dow poor, Casboult poor. Parks was great on debut but his disposal is a worry. Cottrell was last man in but he’s super fit, will be good at Metricon.

We tired so much and Suns get 2 extra days on us, but it’s crazy to make multiple changes after such a wonderful win like that.

Levi is safe because no one else can chop out Pitt in the ruck without ruining balance elsewhere. Gov or O can’t ruck. Witts will be a real handful as it is.

Setters in for Dow for mine.
Betts' tackles, blocks etc made him useless? I'd say your comment is useless. Betts was fine!

You would think the confronting meeting after last week loss contributed to this new found attitude - the trick is to keep it up for the season :D

First win - now, let's make it two games in a row!

In: McGovern, McDonald and Stocker
Out: Casboult, Murphy, Dow

Setters if McGovern is not fit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You clearly didn’t pay any attention to the work Eddie does without the ball. I don’t blame you, not many do.
Betts' tackles, blocks etc made him useless? I'd say your comment is useless. Betts was fine!
Ok useless was probably too strong a word but he struggled to get into the game from where I was sitting. 4 touches 2 tackles and some 1 percenters in a 45 point drubbing was very ordinary - but he’ll be better for the run. I would’ve preferred Cuningham but now he’s in we need to see Betts get a few weeks running to build and see from there.

I think we need to keep playing Dow in the seniors (if only to build his confidence)

He was not one of our better players, but I liked his attack on the ball and I feel like he desperately kept trying.

A big part in player/man management is instilling faith and trust and confidence in players something I feel Dow has not gotten enough from our MC (or supporters, and I have been one of them)

I certainly think it's worthwhile playing him against an injury riddled Gold Coast outfit.

It could take just one great game or two to turn Dow's game and career around, he needs the chance and a good block of continuity/block of games in the seniors to do so.

Also Setters really annoyed me with his efforts against the Pies, still happy for him to sit this one out and earn his spot again.

Dow's played all 3 games this year in a prominent midfield position and has had virtually no influence in any of them.

You can't just keep playing someone to 'build their confidence' when they aren't contributing. Dow has had plenty of chances in his career, he just hasn't taken them which has led to him getting dropped. 3 games is a decent block of games and he hasn't delivered at all. He only has himself to blame.

You're going way too easy on him. He's a 4th year, former pick 3 midfielder. He should be delivering better performances than he is by now.

Where’s the best place to find our injury list and roughly how far players are? Marchy, TDK, Newman, Charlie etc

Dow's played all 3 games this year in a prominent midfield position and has had virtually no influence in any of them.

You can't just keep playing someone to 'build their confidence' when they aren't contributing. Dow has had plenty of chances in his career, he just hasn't taken them which has led to him getting dropped. 3 games is a decent block of games and he hasn't delivered at all. He only has himself to blame.

You're going way too easy on him. He's a 4th year, former pick 3 midfielder. He should be delivering better performances than he is by now.

Absolutely agree. He's had his turn, and for whatever reason isn't doing the things he is meant to be doing, yet again.

It was just more of the same; rushing with ball in hand, poor handpasses to teammates in worse positions, flaky one-handed attempts at gathering the ball, lacklustre defensive efforts and chasing.

Contrast him with Fogarty, same draft, virtually same age, but one plays with a real purpose. One also had the unfair advantage of growing up in Geelong development system.

Nonetheless, we can't be carrying Paddy any longer, and it pains us all. Ruthless league, needs to be given specific directives at the lower level.

You just know it is either going to be wet rainy or wet dewy up there on a Saturday evening.

I would nearly go unchanged but Omac for Casboult I would be open to doing.

If Dow’s position is as a medium forward rotating in the middle... you’d think Cuningham would be more effective.

I don’t know what it is but Paddy just seems a fraction of a second off the pace.

But I hate conceding another ****ed up top pick.

Wouldn’t mind Setterfield getting his touch back in the VFL either.

Hopefully we first reward the consistent and IN FORM players from the reserves.

Sorry but Eddie Betts apart from fairy tale amazing goal was just not there.

Stocker so very good in the Magoos and he certainly has built his engine. Should come in.

Levi a spell and McGov in. He can give Pitto a chop out ( do him good to jump and bang a few bodies) even though
Pitto does not need too much help.

The big fella is very impressive with his work rate but TDK??? When Oh when ? :anguished:

So just the two changes for mine and a lighter week on the track , go up there get the points, have a body surf and get on home 2 and 2!! :D :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back