Robbo and his insensitive tweet, or "Poor choice of words"

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbos that ******* dumb, he's probably trying to get hold of Fasolos personal number right now to call and 'apologize'
Nah, he will be pestering Toby Greene to be allowed into the Giants forwards Whatsapp group still

I'm still gobsmacked that Robbo thought it was a good idea to in the same breath follow up his commentary about how good and enlightened it was that a woman could take her partner to the B&F with a comment that the winners kiss would be turning all the guys on

The dangers of writing an article with 6 pr0n tabs open in the background.

You are coming off a bit cynical yourself there.

I'm sure he wasn't forced against his will to go public, what would motivate the club to do that?

Is it not the fans whose demands to know what's wrong with players health/private lives that drives this kind of reporting and pressure on clubs to provide it?

I'm not cynical of Alex issue, just don't see why we need to know about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs a week off. Fox, SEN and the HUN should get serious and not condone this crap.

Suicide is the greatest killer of young men. Why? Mostly because they don't think they can get help, they feel inferior. Implying Fasolo's mental illness can be fixed in 2 days is so hurtful to the cause of removing the stigma.

Given Robbo's core audience is young men it's time to spell him for a while.

I can forgive a mistake even though it is a dumb one

But he would rake any player who did this over the coals in his articles and on tv so he should be punished with some sort of ban, not just a short apology on his own tv show with his mate throwing him a few lob balls

I don't get why they need to publicise it to the world. Why not just say X player is having back issues or something and leave it at that.
Because he's not having back issues. He's got depression. Why can't you handle that?

Is it not the fans whose demands to know what's wrong with players health/private lives that drives this kind of reporting and pressure on clubs to provide it?

I'm not cynical of Alex issue, just don't see why we need to know about it.

As you said earlier in the thread why not just report it as a back issue? Well why wouldn't the club just do that? I get where you're coming from but I think it's a bit moot in this case.

Maybe Robbo could just use depression as an excuse for writing that tweet, it seems to be the go to "get out of jail free" card for anyone that stuffs up now.

People that drink as much as he does often have some mental health issues so he could probably get away with it.

Robbo from May 2015: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/63d7b8df445c44d915be7056a03c0462

Emphasis is mine.

Social media is the AFL’s most damaging opponent, Mark Robinson writes

JACK Watts played his 100th game two weeks ago and on Thursday was dropped from Melbourne’s team.

It’s been a hazardous journey for Watts and you have to wonder if he is loving his career choice.

You know, it wasn’t supposed to be like this.

The 2008 No.1 draft pick was Melbourne’s blessing. Blonde, private school, gregarious, he was 18 years old and an AFL career beckoned him.

He’s now 24 and there’s not a player in the competition who has been criticised like Watts has.

From virtually his first season, it has been relentless.

Crowds boo him, fans crucify him and there’s not a name he hasn’t been called by the cowards on Twitter and Facebook.

You feel for Jack. And you have to feel for Mr and Mrs Watts.

What they hear at the footy must devastate them. They probably avoid newspapers and surely, hopefully, they wouldn’t listen to radio when talkback explodes.

And unquestionably they would avoid social media.

Who knows how Jack and Mr and Mrs Watts have coped?

Same with Ty Vickery and Mr and Mrs Vickery.

Same with Stephen Milne and Mr and Mrs Milne.

Same with Matthew Watson and Mr and Mrs Watson.

Same with Ryan Schoenmakers and Mr and Mrs Schoenmakers

Same with every player who can’t live up to other people’s expectations.

The social media world is the AFL’s killing field.

So much so that clubs have urged some of their players to avoid it because they’ve seen how distressing it can be.

Because, after so many times being called a weak so-and-so, the player sometimes believes it. It then changes him as a person. Once young and confident, they become withdrawn and it’s little wonder the most important person at football clubs behind the coach is the welfare manager and/or the club psychologist.

Five years ago, the Herald Sun ran a campaign of sorts about online abuse of footballers.

One mother of a high-profile and then underperforming player was so aggrieved with the abuse her son copped on fan forums, she wrote to the Herald Sun to express thanks for exposing the vicious environment.

Her letter reeked of desperation and sadness and clearly she feared for her son’s mental well-being.

And that’s the issue.

Mitch Clark’s public breakdown at the MCG last weekend opened the eyes of many, that depression is real and it is horribly powerful.

He is yet to talk publicly about his illness and when he does, it will further open the door of understanding.

Before Mitch, there was Wayne Schwass and Nathan Thompson.

Before them, there was a bloke called Neil “Nobby” Clarke. He committed suicide.

There are players today battling depression who have yet to come out, so to speak.

You’d hope they don’t read social media.

Cameron Mooney is a Twitter friend and he said on Thursday night: “Thank God I wasn’t on Twitter when I played. It’s brutal.’’

For some reason there is an insatiable appetite for people to fail in the AFL.

The general media carries blame because often we barrack for the story, which often is the loser or the coach under the pump, ala Mick Malthouse and Damien Hardwick right now.

Every year we rate drafts and trades — who was good and who was a bust — and every year with virtually every player we discuss their courage, their heart and their talent, or lack of.

Social media, however, is a different beast. It barracks for abuse.

When Travis Cloke kicks points, he’s an $800,000 loser. When Jesse White struggles, he can’t play football. When Marc Murphy can’t get a kick, he’s a pathetic captain. When Reece Conca snaps and belts Devon Smith, he’s a coward. When Luke Hodge hammers Andrew Swallow, he’s a thug king-hitter. And when Essendon plays each week, they’re a bunch of dirty, rotten drug cheats.

And on and on it goes. From 21-year-olds like Jimmy Toumpas who hasn’t yet cut it, to 28-year-olds like Ryan Griffen who cut and ran, they all cop it.

Seriously, one day a player will commit suicide and a dumbfounded footy world will sit back and ask why.

Let’s not be shocked by the suggestion of suicide. A senior club official said this week he had no doubt players had self-harmed and was worried about what lay ahead as the social media bubble grows to bursting.

He also pondered the drug issue in the AFL. Yes, illicit drugs were taken for the buzz, he said, but he argued they might also be taken for the escape.

Former footballers in the media are a curious mob and you wonder what they must think of the young, modern-day footballer.

Most of the former players played in an era where HTFU was the answer for everything. They didn’t have Twitter, where some drunken lunatic abuses them at 2am, then at 5am, then at midday, which drags in other lunatics who post more pathetic rubbish.

Today’s footballers can be got at, if that makes sense, and freedom of speech has become freedom to abuse.

For the folk not on Twitter, it’s something like this. It’s a computer letter. So just imagine you pen a normal letter to a player and start with: “Joe Bloggs you are a (insert the worst swear words you know)’’ and then go and pop the letter in the mail.

That’s what happens on Twitter. And there can be 20 computer letters to an individual player after a poor game.

It’s little wonder depression and anxiety disorders are the serious issues they are.

Oh dear ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back