Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
OIG.rEhBfvcJ0jj.jpeg
We are currently playing the Bears and the subject about the of the size of leadership groups came up once or twice. I've had a look and this is how it's looking at the minute

Bears 9
Bombers 8
Royals 8
Warriors 8
OOB'S 7
Hawks 6
Wonders 5
Dragons 5
Demons 5
Furies 5
Swamprats 5
Roys 4
Gumbies 4

A quick look there and I've picked up that the Bears have thrown half their team into the leadership group with a number of clubs not far behind on 8, then there are five clubs with 5 members each, and at the bottom of the table sits the Roys and Gumbies with 4 in their leadership group.

What do we think is the right formula here, is 9 too many or is 4 not enough, i personally think 7 is the perfect number myself, just enough to spread the load around. What do the members of Sweet think?

Last edited:
Ours is bigger than the normal number required due to the mandatory Banhammer stints written into our contracts.

It also helps with succession planning.

Ours is bigger than the normal number required due to the mandatory Banhammer stints written into our contracts.

See, at least this has reasoning. We’ve got 7 but at least 5 of those are to double check Turbo’s team sheet submissions…

Having played in teams with 2-9 across multiple teams and seasons, I can say that for us, the more the merrier, but that's because we all get along

What works for one club may not work for another

tony 's record speaks for itself though

View attachment 1895061
We are currently playing the Bears and the subject about the of the size of leadership groups came up once or twice. I've had a look and this is how it's looking at the minute

Bears 9
Bombers 8
Royals 8
Warriors 8
OOB'S 7
Hawks 6
Wonders 5
Dragons 5
Demons 5
Furies 5
Swamprats 5
Roys 4
Gumbies 4

A quick look there and I've picked up that the Bears have thrown half their team into the leadership group with a number of clubs not far behind on 8, then there are five clubs with 5 members each, and at the bottom of the table sits the Roys and Gumbies with 4 in their leadership group.

What do we think is the right formula here, is 9 too many or is 4 not enough, i personally think 7 is the perfect number myself, just enough to spread the load around. What do the members of Sweet think?
This just in: Goldilocks thinks his club's LG size is juuuuuuuuust right.

Here's Mobbs with the weather.

1706575132719.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See, at least this has reasoning. We’ve got 7 but at least 5 of those are to double check Turbo’s team sheet submissions…
That was our reasonings for LG too but I can tell you straight up IT DOESN'T WORK! :D

where do you stand on teams that have 2 Captains and or 2 VC's in their LG structure

Tommy Lee Jones I Dont Care GIF

por_please_ya and The Majestic can attest it didn’t work for me either 😬😂
Or just making sure we all remember the team sheets too. :) It's good to have a team around you to remind and also keep the errors in check. I don't mind teams having more leaders there just more eyes to make sure nothing goes wrong.

Also life happens, so its good to know you have backups.

Clubs will set up their structures to suit themselves, what works for one may not suit another. If you're constantly commenting on what other clubs do I'd suggest you aren't paying enough attention to your own business.

Real leaders don't get too insecure about sharing duties with others, you don't need to have control absolutely everything. It also means that you have any number of people informed and ready to step up in case they need to.

Our model suits us and works well, each to their own.

A lot of teams abuse the leadership group incentive purely to appease their players that post high numbers. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's interesting how the majority of the league include people into their LGs based on quantity.

Sure you can say it has to do with activity and being on bigfooty regularly to check the LG chatter, but I feel like the LG should contain only individuals that are 'leaders' of the club.

In my mind that should be:
  • at least one veteran who has been with the club for 100+ games and knows the team inside and out
  • the captain of course
  • the VC who is either the person who just stepped down as captain or someone who the club feels is capable of stepping into the captain role in the not too distant future
  • a relatively fresh face that has a new outlook and different thoughts surrounding the league and the team (typically its a 2nd or 3rd season poster that has recently joined the league and can provide different views)

So around 4 or 5 people should be enough. More than 6 or 7 and I think it's going to start feeling like people will have to talk over and the PM will become cluttered with a lot of regular chatter.

I only said yes because when you once asked if I wanted the LG, I thought you were referring to a microwave.

A lot of teams abuse the leadership group incentive purely to appease their players that post high numbers. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's interesting how the majority of the league include people into their LGs based on quantity.

Sure you can say it has to do with activity and being on bigfooty regularly to check the LG chatter, but I feel like the LG should contain only individuals that are 'leaders' of the club.

• at least one veteran who has been with the club for 100+ games and knows the team inside and out
  • the captain of course
  • the VC who is either the person who just stepped down as captain or someone who the club feels is capable of stepping into the captain role in the not too distant future
  • a relatively fresh face that has a new outlook and different thoughts surrounding the league and the team (typically its a 2nd or 3rd season poster that has recently joined the league and can provide different views)

So around 4 or 5 people should be enough. More than 6 or 7 and I think it's going to start feeling like people will have to talk over and the PM will become cluttered with a lot of regular chatter.
you should try and post sensible more often DenieD, I could get to like you

Caveat: there will be no liking until OOB get that apology

• the captain of course

You are a smart lad, Ken. Don't let anyone else tell you different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back