Robodog Is Back (Don't Worry Only For 1 Game)

Remove this Banner Ad

I have it in wool, with the original ICI logo. Been offered over $300 for it on numerous occasions yet wont sell. You just can't beat the real wool jumpers and not the heritage knock off versions.

I have the older wool version without robodog, complete with ICI logo. Is that worth less than robodog?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wasn't Robodog introduced for the 1997 Season, the launch of the "Western" renewal (?) of the Club following the Smorgon Board takeover from the Gordon Board and the move to Princes Park ? It coincided with an era of similarly bizarre jumper designs by Fremantle, Melbourne, North, Adelaide, St Kilda, even C'wood. About the only club which resisted the trend was Essendon. There was another, even worse, version used, in that era

Google Image Result for https://www.neds.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Screen-Shot-2022-03-01-at-11.39.29-am-253x300.png

Fortunately, Clubs came to their senses about 15 years on to consign the silly era designs to the rubbish bins of football history. The earlier abomination, the one with the wider red hoop bordered by narrow white bands, was introduced in the mid-late '70s to accommodate colour television, something about the 2 traditional hoops blurring, from memory. Both Premierships and all of our Grand Final appearances have been won under the traditional and current design. A pox on those who seek to replace it and on those who support them.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1975. Colour TV. We swapped the 2 hoops for the bordered band, that might have been OK but red shorts ? What was the Club Board thinking ? To be fair, though, it was the ‘70’s. Has anyone who frequented Discos in flares, body shirts open to the waist and clogs any right to sneer ?

1989. The AFL tries to tell the Club what to do and how to do it. The Club says “F… Off".

1996. The Board sends out a questionnaire seeking guidance in merger negotiations. The results are that preserving the name “Footscray” and colours are non negotiables.

1997. Smorgo’s Board takes over, changes the Jumper, Name and Home Ground, narry a whisper in dissent. That’s capitulation, that’s humiliation. I think of a bloke I’ve heard of called Ben Dover.

Robodog is a symbol of capitulation and shame.

The current President is a wuss for copping Robodog, a strong President, like Peter Gordon, would never have…oops

The return of 25 year old 'retro' Robodog is genuinely one of those 'Am I really that old?' moments.

For the hell of it, bring back the 'Doggie, Doggie, Doggie, Woof, Woof, Woof' chant and the crude animated Optus Oval scoreboard that played 'Feeling hot, hot, hot' after every goal...

Or maybe not...

The return of 25 year old 'retro' Robodog is genuinely one of those 'Am I really that old?' moments.

For the hell of it, bring back the 'Doggie, Doggie, Doggie, Woof, Woof, Woof' chant and the crude animated Optus Oval scoreboard that played 'Feeling hot, hot, hot' after every goal...

Or maybe not...

I’d forgotten about the “Feelin hot, hot, hot”. Bring it back!

Or maybe not...
I feel your pain, DR

1975. Colour TV. We swapped the 2 hoops for the bordered band, that might have been OK but red shorts ? What was the Club Board thinking ? To be fair, though, it was the ‘70’s. Has anyone who frequented Discos in flares, body shirts open to the waist and clogs any right to sneer ?

1989. The AFL tries to tell the Club what to do and how to do it. The Club says “F… Off".

1996. The Board sends out a questionnaire seeking guidance in merger negotiations. The results are that preserving the name “Footscray” and colours are non negotiables.

1997. Smorgo’s Board takes over, changes the Jumper, Name and Home Ground, narry a whisper in dissent. That’s capitulation, that’s humiliation. I think of a bloke I’ve heard of called Ben Dover.

Robodog is a symbol of capitulation and shame.

The current President is a wuss for copping Robodog, a strong President, like Peter Gordon, would never have…oops
FFB6BBE5-F2AC-4E04-89CF-4BD93C03A5FB.jpeg
I love the mid 70’s look for a retro round in future years.

While were going back to 1997, can we bring back the injured and recently retired players sitting in the stands giving their 'expert analysis'.

Both 7 and Optus Vision (remember them?) did this on match broadcasts.

7 used a player from each side giving us their views on the game (usually the old 'yeah, nah boys are goin' well, but gotta lift this quarter'.

Optus Vision (remember them?) used players like Garry Lyon, Craig Kelly and gave Breteton his start in footy commentary (not as verbose back then). Usually these players would sit behind the goal and as a player was lining up would tell us what we could already see happening 'yeah, it's through...yeah,she's home boys...' etc.

Simple times. Good times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back