Injury Rodan retires following ACL rupture

Remove this Banner Ad

Hardly worthy of a thread given Rodan has played just 9 unspectacular matches for the Dees, but he ends his career on 185 matches at 3 clubs. Well played. He may not have really suited our on-field needs this year in the end, but we got him cheap and supposedly he has brought some off-field leadership to the table.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-08-30/knee-injury-forces-rodan-to-retire

Originally from Oak Park, Rodan played with the Calder Cannons, where he won two Morrish Medals – the Brownlow Medal equivalent in the TAC Cup – in 2000-01.
He was then drafted at No. 33 in the 2001 AFL Draft by Richmond and made his AFL debut in round one, 2002 against Collingwood. From there, he played 47 matches straight, before missing his first game. He also gained a NAB AFL Rising Star nomination in 2002, and was nominated for goal of the year three times.
In 2005, he missed the entire season with his first knee reconstruction. He injured his right knee in the last five minutes of a practice match against Essendon in Morwell.
He returned to play five matches for the Tigers in 2006, but was delisted at the end of the season.
Rodan then gained a lifeline when the Power selected him at No. 86 in the 2006 NAB AFL Draft, and by the end of the 2007 season, he had played all 25 matches for the year, including Port Adelaide’s Grand Final, which it lost by a record 119 points to Geelong.
Still, his ability to bounce back and play every match in 2007 was a credit to him. It was arguably his best AFL season, as he notched up 401 disposals and kicked 28 goals. He also finished sixth in Port Adelaide’s best and fairest and won the club’s most improved player award.
In 2008, Rodan represented Australia against Ireland in the International Rules series.
Rodan ruptured his left anterior cruciate ligament at training in December 2009, and was set to miss the upcoming season. But he underwent LARS surgery and remarkably resumed against Geelong in round four, 2010.
He had further issues with his left knee before Christmas 2010 and underwent a second bout of LARS surgery.
Still, from 2007-10, Rodan played 85 of a possible 91 matches.
He bounced back to play in round one against Collingwood in 2011, but he again suffered another knee injury – this time to his right knee, which he originally hurt when playing for Richmond.
Rodan missed six matches, but returned to finish with 16 matches for the season.
However, after 10 matches in 2012, Rodan was traded at the end of the season to the Demons for pick No. 87.
Best of luck to him.

Was my favourite Port player during his time at the club.
Well done on a great career D-Rod!

If he was injury free he could have been an asset to the demons in terms of experience.
He played 111 games for the Power but his knees went down twice I think.

To be expected I think.

There weren't many questions at Melbourne that he was the answer to this year but he always had a crack at least.

Good luck to him for the future and his recovery.

I hope his knees don't give him too much trouble in life after football.

Another one of Crazy Neeld's recruits, can't blame him for taking the chance that he was given. Any anger is towards Neeld, not David.

Best of luck to whatever comes next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This news is a real shame. I don't know if it was obvious from the telecast on Saturday, but he got a pretty warm round of applause when he came off - significantly more than the usual polite clap that an injured opposition player will get.

Given that he not only played for Port but pretty much routinely tore us to shreds in Showdowns, I think that demonstrates the regard he is held in generally. All the best for whatever he does now.

Well, that's another spot on our list.

Hopefully the MFC had a clause in the contract that allowed for no payout for the second year of the contract in the event of a serious knee failure.

Lets hope you don't have anybody working for you Ebenezer. Very poor taste.

Was shocked that given his injury history and his age, that we gave him a Pedo-sized contract (3 years). However, have admired him since he started at Richmond. Played his role, which was to guide the young mids coming through. All the best, D Rod.

I can't believe for the life of me some of the personal malice that people, including Demons supporters, have towards sporting players from any club, let alone their own, for near arbitrary reasons. Incredibly disappointing and demoralising.

Disappointing also that Rodan's career had to end like this. Hopefully he does well for himself going forward, glad to have seen him play for us this year. A damn sight more useful than Byrnes. Great dancer as well, and appears to have brought some leadership to the club this year which is fantastic.

All the best to Rodan post footy.
We didn't have to give up a lot for him so there's no problems there, now hopefullly someone can take that vacant list spot and capitalise. Hopefully he was able to pass on his knowledge and steer the youngsters in right direction.
On a side note I'm disappointed we won't have the best performance on the footy show review

Well, that's another spot on our list.

Hopefully the MFC had a clause in the contract that allowed for no payout for the second year of the contract in the event of a serious knee failure.

He retired, so would imagine the second year is cancelled by mutual agreement.

I think picking up Rodan was worth it. Sure he's over 30 with stuffed knees. Ok it didn't work out, it costed us pick 88 which (most likely)would of been wasted. (Maybe we could of got an 18 year old future 200 gamer ect, but really not with our current development)

I have to judge the D-Rod based on his whole career as opposed to the 9 games he played for us... from that perspective - well played Rodan. May he never be accused of not having a go and taking it on, realistically we employed him as an additional midfield coach who was a slim chance of playing a couple of games, I think the Toump and JV would be better for having had him at the club these last 12 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back