Rookie Draft & PSD prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Nathan Stark, Will Hams and Nick Rodda as rookies. Would be happy with any one of them

Apart from the salary you pay them, I don't see much difference between having them on the senior list as opposed to the rookie list. Maybe being able to cut them after a year if it doesn't work? But you're still bringing a player into your club who you view as being potentially disruptive. Where they list on the club list is irrelvant if there thing you're worried about is club culture.
Yeah true ... but still I would've thought with the professionalism of clubs today they could offer a rookie list spot, say "You were very lucky to get this, one mistake and you're out" and have the club attempt to iron out any creases you see in their personality. Has real upside due to this talent.
Plus, the difference between taking them in the ND and the Rookie Draft is that you could be wasting a real quality pick like Pick 32 at the ND, but you are just using a rookie pick, so not much loss for a possibly huge gain.
If I was a drafter I would give him a shot in the Rookie Draft but then again what do I know about drafting. ;)

Could we get Garlett to train with us for a couple of weeks and see how he goes?

We are seeing the problems the Tigers are having with Connors even with him not there anymore. Clubs seem to be increasingly scared of what damage a bad egg can do.

The risk with Garlett is that you put him on the rookie list and sure he is an elite talent, but his personality and lack of work ethic make him a likely bust prospect, so is it worth the chance at getting another decent rookie prospect and the wasted 50 grand?

Personally I would pick up Bourke, if the Cats don't father/son him, as i feel that he has a fair bit of talent and could become a decent KPF or KPD.

We are seeing the problems the Tigers are having with Connors even with him not there anymore. Clubs seem to be increasingly scared of what damage a bad egg can do.
Could we get Garlett to train with us for a couple of weeks and see how he goes?
Do clubs need AFL permission for rookies to train with them as with the main draft?

Surely Colquhoun will go to a club in the Pre-season draft and not make it to the Rookie draft. With so many clubs passing on draft picks, there would be a fair amount of senior list spaces available. While we don't at the moment have any PSD picks (hope that remains the case), hopefully we can pick up a one of the Queenslanders, who probably won't get picked up in the PSD...

Yeah true ... but still I would've thought with the professionalism of clubs today they could offer a rookie list spot, say "You were very lucky to get this, one mistake and you're out" and have the club attempt to iron out any creases you see in their personality."
Personality is much much harder to change than you would think. Behaviour and habits can be influenced, but temperament and personality are stubborn and stable over time. At best, a band-aid can be applied, but a s**t bloke often stays a s**t bloke.

Personality is much much harder to change than you would think. Behaviour and habits can be influenced, but temperament and personality and stubborn and stable over time. At best, a bandaid can be applied, but a s**t bloke often stays a s**t bloke.
Yep - talent is talent is talent but if not belonging with someone willing to do the hard yards and make the most of it, well it is both his and the league's loss. :(

Any love for Wallin?
Is that pronounced Wall-in or

222px-Waylon_Smithers_1.png

Dayle Garlett didn't look like the fittest bloke going around (although sometimes this can be deceptive). With a move towards high endurance athletes, perhaps this was a contributing factor to his non-selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personality is much much harder to change than you would think. Behaviour and habits can be influenced, but temperament and personality are stubborn and stable over time. At best, a band-aid can be applied, but a s**t bloke often stays a s**t bloke.
Haso,I am surprised you are talking of weevil in this way.Surely he deserves a second chance.

Surely Colquhoun will go to a club in the Pre-season draft and not make it to the Rookie draft. With so many clubs passing on draft picks, there would be a fair amount of senior list spaces available. While we don't at the moment have any PSD picks (hope that remains the case), hopefully we can pick up a one of the Queenslanders, who probably won't get picked up in the PSD...

I watched two of his games where he was playing as the loose man in defence, I was reminded of how a Carlton player described the Dees, bruise free footballer.

The risk with Garlett is that you put him on the rookie list and sure he is an elite talent, but his personality and lack of work ethic make him a likely bust prospect, so is it worth the chance at getting another decent rookie prospect and the wasted 50 grand?

Personally I would pick up Bourke, if the Cats don't father/son him, as i feel that he has a fair bit of talent and could become a decent KPF or KPD.
Tested well but maybe he is a bit too similar to Tickner who we will presumably take next year. Rodda on the other hand offers us something we don't have enough of, tall big bodied defenders.

i read that gartletts been invited to train with the bombers, and sorry can't recall where. Have read alot recently.
Reported in the West Australian

"UPDATE: Dayle Garlett could be offered a draft lifeline by Essendon after the Bombers confirmed today that the 18-year-old would be asked to train with them ahead of the AFL's rookie and pre-season drafts.

Garlett, overlooked at Thursday's national draft by clubs concerned about off-field discipline issues, remains in contention to be taken in either one of the later drafts.

Garlett was a star for WA at the 2012 under 18 titles, winning All-Australian selection, and played 11 games for Swan Districts at WAFL senior level, including two finals in which he kicked four goals.

Draft experts rated him a top 10 pick at the draft on talent alone.

But a series of off-field issues which started with losing his spot at the AIS AFL Academy and culminated with Instagram photos of him drinking and smoking, saw clubs shy away from taking him at Thursday afternoon's draft on the Gold Coast.

Garlett's manager Jason Dover refused to comment about whether or when Garlett would join the Bombers for training when contacted today."

Reported in the West Australian

"UPDATE: Dayle Garlett could be offered a draft lifeline by Essendon after the Bombers confirmed today that the 18-year-old would be asked to train with them ahead of the AFL's rookie and pre-season drafts.

Garlett, overlooked at Thursday's national draft by clubs concerned about off-field discipline issues, remains in contention to be taken in either one of the later drafts.

Garlett was a star for WA at the 2012 under 18 titles, winning All-Australian selection, and played 11 games for Swan Districts at WAFL senior level, including two finals in which he kicked four goals.

Draft experts rated him a top 10 pick at the draft on talent alone.

But a series of off-field issues which started with losing his spot at the AIS AFL Academy and culminated with Instagram photos of him drinking and smoking, saw clubs shy away from taking him at Thursday afternoon's draft on the Gold Coast.

Garlett's manager Jason Dover refused to comment about whether or when Garlett would join the Bombers for training when contacted today."
Doubt very much i read it there, but cheers for the confirmation

Obviously depends who gets through the PSD. Of those left guys I would like us to consider include:

Garlett - top 5 talent. We have worked on puting together a mature group of kids. Back the them and the support staff in.

Rodda - KPD 196cm, 98kgs, runs a 2.91 20m, massive leg, good kid.

Colquhoun - not a world of difference between he and Macrae. I would back him to make it and well worth a rookie pick.

Hardy - mature 196cm KPF won the SANFL goal kicking. Fair chance he would impact at AFL level.

Warrell - hugely talented kid. Very like Simpson who went in the first round. Some off field issues but get him out of that environment and he should go alright I think.

Rioli - I liked him a lot in the NEAFL finals. Worth a punt.

Flaherty - NEAFL East Rising Star. Big KPF who I liked a lot at the Champs. Can play back and as a mobile target up on the wing as well. Plenty of worse players got drafted.

Llaine Wilkins - lots of athetic talent and some skill but lacks a bit in contested situations. Rookie draft was made for guys like him. Could be a very good pick up.

Leinhert - KPD likely still growing. Good pace and a big kick on him.

Jack Frost - another KPD. Was the form big defender in the VFL finals. Worked back from injury and looked the goods at year end.

Appleton - absolute magnet. Inside outside player who was exceptional at under 18 level in SA. Struggled a bit with the bigger bodies in seniors. If he adjusted he could be an excellent pick up. High ceiling.

Shane Nelson - small ball magnet with elite pace. Remodelled his game this year and took the WAFL by storm. Someone will rookie him surely.

Qlders

Bourke - only had one year in the under 18s and struggled a little bit. Was named in the top 25 talent before the start of the year though and if we gave him a chance he could come good.

Boston - not the biggest fan of his but the Qld slots are there to use and we may as well do so. Very nice kick but needs to win more of his own ball.

Shane Nelson
Pumped for him last draft but failed to make it on any list!
Is he trouble? Not a team player? Drugs or just plain unlucky?

Tests well, accumulator, works tirelessly, mid who can run/carry and use the ball, on the surface looks like a good addition to any list (You would think at least worth a rookie punt) but . . .

Shane Nelson
Pumped for him last draft but failed to make it on any list!
Is he trouble? Not a team player? Drugs or just plain unlucky?

Tests well, accumulator, works tirelessly, mid who can run/carry and use the ball, on the surface looks like a good addition to any list (You would think at least worth a rookie punt) but . . .

Sounds like he could be the next Myles Sewell. Has people scratching their heads as to why he's overlooked, but might just be missing that single stand-out property that makes recruiters think it's worth taking a punt on him.

The club need to list more Queensland kids. We have lost Stiller and Drummond so its time for a top up. The Suns have been able to raid the best recently but both Bourke and Boston would be handy rookies or relist Clouston or Clarke. I am sure there are other Qlders who would make the grade given the right environment and attention. If the Lions are going to prosper in the Queensland market we need a stronger Queensland connection. We are not another suburb of Melbourne. We have to source members here and our future is here. The fact is the administration of the club have alienated many of the former Melbourne members through the Paddle Pop lion fiasco and they have gone to other Melbourne clubs never to return. More local connection will flow through to better local media coverage and assist membership in the long term through a stronger link to local clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back