Rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
We're hording them all. If anyone wants one they'll have to cough up a first rounder:p
Imagine if we went b2b with the same setup.Suns will throw both Lynch & 2mtr Peter at us for George & Butler.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
This means guys like Castagna and Butler don't get complacent. I like it! Plus, teams are still undervaluing small forwards meaning it's a position you're likely to get value. Many teams are still stuck in the "but is he 190cm and can win 30 touches?" mindset.
You mean to say the Pies got it wrong again?(Stevenson).

JR82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all
Don't know what the clubs strategy with all the smalls is, but whatever it is I'll back them 100%. Place is full of geniuses ATM!

Went to the draft on friday night and Naish Snr and Jnr walked past - both were absolutely over the moon. It looked like all their dreams had come true - god bless 'em. Tigers through and through.
Seems we are going further with the fwd pressure game plan & loading up to see if anyone of the newbies can push anyone out & improve the side.

Relton Roberts knows every Baker in oz.Bolton has nothing on him.
Relton been in fine form lately trying to get recruited as another small forward at tigerland
29B7AC23-316F-497A-B776-5B870DA12E83.jpeg

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
How do we fit them all in, even at VFL level?

Heard reports we're just gonna play Rance and Grimes solo in defense next year with however many opponents the opposition coach feels he can leave away from the contest upfield, freeing up a whole extra line of manic smalls for the opposition to deal with.

We'll ring the centre square at bounces with a dozen pseudo onballers.

Stoppages will be turned into a rolling maul of 16 bruisers, pickpockets and tricksters all hunting the ball and crashing bodies like their careers depended on it.

Every opposition player will feel like they have 1.5 fast, hard, relentless opponents and that their attacking goal is an impossible chain of possessions away.

And then we start working on our skills highlight reel. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't think you can read too much into our selection of another small forward. According to Bishop we didn't have too many names let on our board, rather than a philosophical shift, it may just have been a case of him being the only player we had left who we thought had enough AFL level traits to sink $150k worth of expenses into.

Like this. Our game plan for 2017 was a nightmare for the opposition to deal with, and so simple that it is hard to stop. If other clubs don't take us seriously we might just have a few years alone with the multiple small pressure forwards policy + adding quality in the middle as some mature. If we replicate it in the VFL, this helps development. And of course we can rotate the guys as they get tired with hungry in form VFL players.

Dekkers has 1) a great name (that's enough on its own), and 2) really nice traits to work with.

Happy days.

Richo83

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
One thing to note, besides Naish, no players in the 180cm drafted by the tigers. Richmond is either going really small and nimble or giant. I felt like Richmind rejected the obsession with versatility this year by creating a team where players did very specific roles in different areas as opposed to everyone trying to be able to be shifted around and be balance.

Despite talk of how some of the drafees are versatile, I suspect they've been drafted for their ability to play a specific role.

Whereas some clubs are drafting guys who have the capacity to play multiple positions and will be shifted around (Coffield, Stephenson).

Mar 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
One thing to note, besides Naish, no players in the 180cm drafted by the tigers. Richmond is either going really small and nimble or giant. I felt like Richmind rejected the obsession with versatility this year by creating a team where players did very specific roles in different areas as opposed to everyone trying to be able to be shifted around and be balance.

Despite talk of how some of the drafees are versatile, I suspect they've been drafted for their ability to play a specific role.

Whereas some clubs are drafting guys who have the capacity to play multiple positions and will be shifted around (Coffield, Stephenson).

I saw it a bit differently. Towno came in and definitely had a role as did Butler and Castagna however i think the rest of the team was incredibly versatile.

JR82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all
Like this. Our game plan for 2017 was a nightmare for the opposition to deal with, and so simple that it is hard to stop. If other clubs don't take us seriously we might just have a few years alone with the multiple small pressure forwards policy + adding quality in the middle as some mature. If we replicate it in the VFL, this helps development. And of course we can rotate the guys as they get tired with hungry in form VFL players.

Dekkers has 1) a great name (that's enough on its own), and 2) really nice traits to work with.

Happy days.
Hoping that's how it turns out, it will be our "POD" & we must cash in.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli

I disagree versatility was very important. The ability of our backs to defend on players on all sizes was extremely important. Kmac, Houli and Bellis to rotate off HBF and wing and then the ability of Martin, Caddy, Edwards, Graham and Cotchin to play midfield and go forward. Grigg to move into the Ruck. And our small forwards ability to get up the ground and charge forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back