List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

People need to look at our list.

We have 8 players injured, another 8 or 10 are list cloggers plus 2 out for drinking. It really does not leave much to work with.

People saying drop Ballas, drop Spurr. But we have no one who can play there position.

Losing Walters will hurt us even more.

We have not traded away any first round picks to get mature age talent, if our list is s**t are recruiters need to work harder.

Having said that our last 2 or 3 drafts look really good so we just need to hang on to the players and wait. Last year we brought in 8 players who could all play next week.

Pity that Balic(definite), Tucker and Langdon maybe want out.

Apparently Hawks are a year behind us in their rebuild? I think its time the safety net on Ross is removed, I would love someone on the board to stand up and voice
their doubts, similar to Kennett, and what happened at Port.
At the end of the day ten years at the club is long enough, and its plain to see Clarkson and his proteges have a superior gameplan.
I don't want the club to just give Ross a decade to maybe improve, I would like to see innovation, and that starts at the top.
Other clubs have helped themselves, coach, even Richmond have done everything possible for Hardwick.
I would offer Longmuir a contact, pay increase and poach him from the eagles, same with Dew, Ratten, and if there is any chance
Hodge would be a coup, we haven't seen since Lyon was appointed.

Well Peter Bell is the Board member(member elect) I think responsible for the Football side of the club. Is he asking the right questions of Lyon and Bond??

Has anyone considered maybe Ross has reinvented "the blast" game plan in reverse but the team hasn't yet learnt how to engage it?

But in all seriousness how many first quarters have we lost this year (W5,L11&D1)!
Theres seems to be a lack of intensity early which allows the opposition to get the game on their terms, kick a couple, silence the crowd and have freo playing catch-up ( which they managed to do earlier on in the season but they clearly don't have the skills, energy or composure to do atm).

The typical Hawks gameplan of chipping it around, spread the field uncontested style footy has always been Freo's krytonite. Freo's gameplan has never stacked up against. We sore earlier on in the year against the roo's, bombers, blues & pies etc use the same game plan. Hold onto the footy, spread the field and then attack an open forward line with speed & precision.

When its Freo's turn they have been too slow through the middle and into the F50 or turned it over with the long ball which the opposition has already set-up to receive. Brad Hill & Weller have been the go to men but their kicking has somewhat deserted them. SHill has been a shadow and Mundy not as effective even though he is finding the ball.

Need Ryan back to get the ball out of the D50 ASAP. Need some extra confidence through the middle (they have the skills already) and a forward structure that gives them something to properly kick to. The team needs reward for effort. You can't keep kicking 2-3 goals up until half time and have the team up and about for a second half onslaught its too deflating.

I think the transition to a more skills based team has already been undertaken but its gonna take time unfortunately and yes injuries certainly never help but that's life.

Last edited:

Not sure how what I said is disingenuous, happy for you to explain it to me though in the context of my entire post.

Our coaching staff are clearly trying a new games style (part of which has been forced on us due to reduction in stoppages) but game style changes take time. I clearly remember people being up in arms during Ross Lyon's first year during the first 12(ish) games where we were hardly scoring because he was trying to teach the new style.

We're still hardly scoring. We've hardly scored the entire time Lyon has been here. We made the top 4 on the back of being able to routinely restrict teams to 8 or less goals. Something that is no longer possible.

These things take time. Our coaching staff are clearly trying to evolve how we play, they can hardly be blamed for the way we sprayed our shots last week, the players have to execute. If they can't they will be moved on as we transition our list into one that can (hopefully) win our inaugural flag.

We are 16th in the league for inside 50 efficiency, probably 17th after last night's effort. That includes both points and goals.

The issue is not spraying shots, the issue is that our game plan struggles massively at turning i50s into shots on goal.

We are 16th in the league for inside 50 efficiency, probably 17th after last night's effort. That includes both points and goals.

The issue is not spraying shots, the issue is that our game plan struggles massively at turning i50s into shots on goal.

We had 19 shots on goal last week for 4 Goals and 15 behinds. I agree, the efficiency is horrible.

I also agree that the game plan struggles to turn i50's into shots on goal. Ross Lyon understands this too. Are Kersten and McCarthy ideally 2nd and 3rd talls in a forward line working off a true KPF?

http://www.afl.com.au/video/latest/media-conferences

I wouldn't be surprised if you and Ross Lyon believed that the game plan has the same deficiencies. The difference is in my view, he believes he is the right person to fix it.

If Apeness turned into the player he could be then that may fix our structural problem. If not, we need to find someone who can. Add (a fit) Bennell into that forward line and it already looks more efficient.

It's not going to happen immediately.

Apparently Hawks are a year behind us in their rebuild? I think its time the safety net on Ross is removed, I would love someone on the board to stand up and voice
their doubts, similar to Kennett, and what happened at Port.
At the end of the day ten years at the club is long enough, and its plain to see Clarkson and his proteges have a superior gameplan.
I don't want the club to just give Ross a decade to maybe improve, I would like to see innovation, and that starts at the top.
Other clubs have helped themselves, coach, even Richmond have done everything possible for Hardwick.
I would offer Longmuir a contact, pay increase and poach him from the eagles, same with Dew, Ratten, and if there is any chance
Hodge would be a coup, we haven't seen since Lyon was appointed.

Posted in another thread my thoughts about this .
Agree wholeheartedly we need to bring in some quality assistants to give Lyon a hand.He can't do it all himself that much is true. Clarksons brilliant but he's had some very astute lieutenants along the way.Even the best need a good support crew.

Unfortunately tho it's not easy when we're based in WA.The likes of ratten and Dew are pipe dreams but where i think we can get them is through opportunity,so we need to identify the best up and comers or as you mentioned in hodges case recently retired players,like we did with hale(again tho someone like hodge won't be short of options)

Totally agree on longmuir ,plus he probably in the sumich basket of clearly wanting to get a broader experience base in order to go to the next level but not wanting to move over east yet. The fact that he's in charge of pretty successful fwd line should see him as a high priority

The other local candidate I'd look at is Jarrad Schofield,yes he's in charge of a great program at subi but he gets some pretty good raps around the joint.Like longmuir is a former player too

Who's being disingenous now?

It's got nothing at all to do with whether we are winning or losing and everything to do with how the team is being coached.

We are still the most defensive team in the league despite everyone else having known for at least 2 years that that gamestyle is obsolete.

If we were playing an attacking style of game and still losing we wouldn't be saying what we're saying.
Obviously haven't watched Carlton then have you?....(just for the record too their coach was clarkos number 1 right hand man for years)

Last edited:
Obviously haven't watched Carlton then have you?....(just for the record to their coach was clarkos number 1 right hand man for years)

So you're saying it's no issue because Carlton are just as bad as us?

Why, does the cap fit?
In your case, I think you are Melty McFace, a pathetic supporter with little understanding of the game. It's opinion based on your completely over the top melty posts.
Interested to see how you could prove me dead wrong, without breaking the rules of the board.

You could put 20 caps on top of another and it would still fit. I would recognise that sort of person every day of the week having encountered a great number in other places. I think people like that are not the sort of people I like to encounter and you certainly fit that.

Ah name calling, you called me the exact same thing the other day.....here's the reality however.

I tipped a loss to Hawks - I WAS RIGHT
I tipped no forward structure - I WAS RIGHT
Ross Lyon made some excuse/said something ridiculous - I WAS RIGHT

3 from 3.......clearly I have some understanding if I can predict that accurately.

So you don't buy the claim that I am a Freo supporter....least you could've tagged me you gutless excuse of an individual.

You certainly fit into the mold of some typical Freo supporters I've had the misfortune to encounter....easily pleased, happy to accept mediocrity and claiming they're a better supporter when in reality they just can't hack alternative views.

You're quite brilliant Clems Knee, yep, terrific!

Ross Lyon will see out his contract. No amount of hand wringing, moaning and grizzling will change that. Get used to it.
I for one am happy to give him that time, he is in the first year of a rebuild. We have seen some glimpses of future talent and we have also confirmed that we still have some players to move on. We will go to the draft again and try and bring in more talent.
It takes time!

Ross Lyon will see out his contract. No amount of hand wringing, moaning and grizzling will change that. Get used to it.
I for one am happy to give him that time, he is in the first year of a rebuild. We have seen some glimpses of future talent and we have also confirmed that we still have some players to move on. We will go to the draft again and try and bring in more talent.
It takes time!

Definitely happy to give him time. Has played youth and stuck with them when it is clear they could've been dropped.

Deluca coming in over Taberner or Sutcliffe was a tough call on the other 2 but good on them for giving this kid another crack.

They stuck with Nyhuis after a nothing second game.

It isn't easy. I'd rather, if we're going to lose try and entertain the crowd and free up the players. Let them wheel and deal and play a different brand, but I think Lyon is too professional to just lighten up.

That's my biggest gripe with it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely happy to give him time. Has played youth and stuck with them when it is clear they could've been dropped.

Deluca coming in over Taberner or Sutcliffe was a tough call on the other 2 but good on them for giving this kid another crack.

They stuck with Nyhuis after a nothing second game.

It isn't easy. I'd rather, if we're going to lose try and entertain the crowd and free up the players. Let them wheel and deal and play a different brand, but I think Lyon is too professional to just lighten up.

That's my biggest gripe with it all.

We are stuck with Ross, but he is stuck with us as well.
The members/supporters will vote with their feet.
A lot of people will be waiting to see what happens in draft/trading before recommitting to memberships.
You will be able to walk up to the new stadium next year and pretty much get whatever you want.
60,000 capacity, and we only had just over 30,000 last night.

So you're saying it's no issue because Carlton are just as bad as us?
lol ,yeah mate that's exactly what I was saying:rolleyes:
You certainly love a straw man and cherry picking stats/words to suit your argument

You said ,quote "we're the most defensive team in the league" I'll say again I suggest you watch Carlton and check out how times they Ve scored over 100 points this season

lol ,yeah mate that's exactly what I was saying:rolleyes:
You certainly love a straw man and cherry picking stats/words to suit your argument

You said ,quote "we're the most defensive team in the league" I'll say again I suggest you watch Carlton and check out how times they Ve scored over 100 points this season

Yeah Carlton are about equal with us in inside 50 efficiency.

Still not sure what you're trying to say except that you are trying to defend Ross Lyon by saying he's only made us equally as bad as Carlton.

You could put 20 caps on top of another and it would still fit. I would recognise that sort of person every day of the week having encountered a great number in other places. I think people like that are not the sort of people I like to encounter and you certainly fit that.

Ah name calling, you called me the exact same thing the other day.....here's the reality however.

I tipped a loss to Hawks - I WAS RIGHT
I tipped no forward structure - I WAS RIGHT
Ross Lyon made some excuse/said something ridiculous - I WAS RIGHT

3 from 3.......clearly I have some understanding if I can predict that accurately.

So you don't buy the claim that I am a Freo supporter....least you could've tagged me you gutless excuse of an individual.

You certainly fit into the mold of some typical Freo supporters I've had the misfortune to encounter....easily pleased, happy to accept mediocrity and claiming they're a better supporter when in reality they just can't hack alternative views.

You're quite brilliant Clems Knee, yep, terrific!

I have rarely come across a person as stupid and insignificant as you. You call me out on name calling, but then call me a gutless excuse of an individual. I have told you my opinion. It is no surprise that you identify yourself more as a soccer fan than a footy fan because you show no knowledge of football.
In real life, are you such a dick?
Ignored.

I'm not suggesting the new stadium doesn't change the game for many.
Simply saying I'll still give the club the money.
I accept that when you are rebuilding a list that already had some gaping holes in it,some of the stuff dished up will be hard on the eye.

I have rarely come across a person as stupid and insignificant as you. You call me out on name calling, but then call me a gutless excuse of an individual. I have told you my opinion. It is no surprise that you identify yourself more as a soccer fan than a footy fan because you show no knowledge of football.
In real life, are you such a dick?
Ignored.

Stupid? Insignificant?

Get the * over yourself.

Where have I ever identified as more of a soccer fan than a footy fan....seriously that comment makes you absolutely deluded. I identify myself as a sports fan who wants to see their team do well....you're an easily pleased individual who can't hack alternative views.

In real life I'm not a dick but online, if you're a dick to me (which you have a lot of prior form in) then I throw it back. If you don't like it, you know what the solution is.

I can see what they are trying to do in the back half and through use of the corridor. Undortunately as soon as it started looking settled back, Ross brought back Spurr and Blakely and then Ryan did something stupid in consecutive weeks and the chess pieces keep getting shuffled.
God help our same/same midfield without Walters' quick movement and accurate ball use. Hill is out of sorts - unsurprising with what happened to his shoulder last week - and we need more speed in the middle of the ground.
But people who think the forward line issues are new are kidding themselves. Ross Lyon 101 is to centre the ball, bring it to ground and scramble goals. Well, all that is happening is that the midget forward line is getting out marked by bigger defenders when we try and centre it. It is the wrong strategy for a team that has only ever had one decent KPF. Last night at least a couple of Kersten's leads were honoured. It's a start. Forget centring the ball, get the forwards to lead away from each other and take a risk. Last night I didn't see the Hawks' forwards bunched together.
While I can see improvement in other areas of the ground Ross has NEVER shown flexibility in his forward line strategies.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I like it how you know so much more than McPharlin and Ross etc

You should put your hand up to coach Freo

Yet another weak statement with no analysis or thought. Don't forget that McPharlin retired before the new rules were brought in and the rotation cap. The flood and congestion don't work anymore and they suck the Joy out of footy.

Back