Preview Round 1 - Melbourne v Freo - The Doom Starts Here

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I’m very surprised by Brayshaw being included in that list. Hibberd the biggest loss out of those names for mine, just feel a lot more secure with him mopping up down back.

Jordon had five scoring involvements against the Bulldogs, I reckon he’s just going to be played as a forward half impact player out of the midfield. Creep forward, hit targets, help lock the ball in around high half forward to prevent easy opposition transition. Doesn’t need to set the world on fire for now, just be a bigger and stronger Spargo.

Bit strange to be playing Bowey in defence and Jordan in attack, but that’s MFC madness for you.

Reckon this one comes down to which version of our midfield shows up on the day. Freo are one of the sides against whom our bulk inside 50s strategy works. If we lose that by a decent margin in any quarter we’ll lose the game (even if we have more I50s overall), otherwise it should be comfortable. Give Trac something to work with up forward, keep Fyfe quiet. Physicality in the middle all day is the key.

Last edited:

That was the main reason evidently, but we had a shocking preseason with injuries and couldn't run out the game. Also Port are on the rise.
I just find comments about not taking sides seriously amusing in that context. Even if they’d come up in a storm of hellfire I’m sure we would have still lost. Sometimes you just get outplayed by a better side on the day, which happens to us on most days unfortunately.

I hope we start a fight and look to scrap and intimidate the younger Freo mids.

Get Harmes to run with Fyfe in the midfield and make his life hell.

We can go into our shell for quarters at a time at our worst, but I think playing the game with some sting in it usually suits us.

We can go into our shell for quarters at a time at our worst, but I think playing the game with some sting in it usually suits us.
Agreed. Viney would've been handy to set the tone with his bloody-minded attack at the footy and man. Maybe Gawn could do that for once against a first gamer, rather than passively letting teams niggle him off his game.
We should still have the blokes to win fairly comfortably (4 goals or so).

Have you sad, miserable campaigners not been listening? Every member of the team did extra work before pre-season started, we're fitter than ever, all our deficiencies have been addressed and we've got 16 guys that are primed for a breakout year. If that's not enough, Freo have 73 best 22 players out and the ones that are playing are scared of getting on a plane for the first time in six months.

Dees by 186

Last edited:

When was the last time we started a fight ,or were in one ?
Having said that , i hope Harmes goes and niggles the s**t out of Fyfe .

I just find comments about not taking sides seriously amusing in that context. Even if they’d come up in a storm of hellfire I’m sure we would have still lost. Sometimes you just get outplayed by a better side on the day, which happens to us on most days unfortunately.
Depending on the situation the media will either say it was expected but if it's an upset they will basically say how terrible the team was rather than giving credit to the lower ranked team.

Have you sad, miserable campaigners not been listening? Every member of the team did extra work before pre-season started, we're fitter than ever, all our deficiencies have been addressed and we've got 16 guys that are primed for a breakout year. If that's not enough, Freo have 73 best 22 players out and the ones that are playing are scared of getting on a plane for the first time in six months.

Dees by 186

But Caro said we wont make the 8!

Salem had to pass a fitness test too

And Brown & Weid are realistically looking at r7-8 before being ready

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

When are teams announced? Is this more bullshit that the AFL has changed this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wtf I don't remember this. Was way better when it all came out on a Thursday (so I could melt about the extended bench for 24 hours).
Yeah it sucks, not sure why the switch. Absolutely ruins supercoach.

Is Maj a chance to play Round 1?

Or do we go with T Mac so we can bag him on how shithouse he has gone since 2018?

That side looks so average, but with a surprisingly strong bench.

Come on dees, let’s hope it all clicks tomorrow.

The surprise for me is Sparrow, would've thought Baker would've got a game to have 2 genuine wingers. Sparrow is a viney clone though and is a like for like replacement, just a bit weird with Jordon playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back