Autopsy Round 10, 2017: Sydney vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Our record in close games over the past 18 months has been woeful.....another sign of the weaknesses mentally or another sign of a coaching panel who are beyond help. We cannot close out games and its hurt us two or three times already this season.

At one point someone kicked to a 1 v 5 Hawks.
Had to apologise to the lady sitting in front of me for my bad language:oops:

That was Paps and it was a 1 v 4

The hawks have been playing this way for years, why is it a surprise? They always encroach the mark, hold players down more than they should and never get pinged for it. At their peak this is what they did best and it was frustrating.

We have short memories.

Yep wish we were more ruthless like that, though suspect we would get pinged for it

Yep wish we were more ruthless like that, though suspect we would get pinged for it

Yep when we do, we get pinged for it.

I mean that first goal and then missing a hawks defender almost snapping buddy in half and dragging him down by his head in the exact same spot for roughies very soft free? What was up with that crap?!

Accidental

It was pretty rotten luck really watching the replay. If Lloyd had played the full game the way he has been playing the last few weeks, it would have been just enough for us to get over the line IMO even in spite of our poor play. But maybe a win would have wallpapered over the cracks and given us a false sense of being in finals contention.

As an aside, I couldn't believe how many Swans players were jogging in space when Hawthorn had the ball in the lead up to the Roughead mark. They took the ball forward with ridiculous ease. We must have been spent by that stage. Losing two rotations in today's game is bloody tough.

Even though we won the free kick count, I still felt the Hawks got away with a lot of off the ball stuff. At one point Hayward had his arm literally pulled inside 50 and didn't get a free. Holding the ball was horribly adjudicated as well. I actually feel for the umpires and all the calls they have to make.

Might have to approach the AFL and ask if we can go back to ANZ Stadium, crap ground, good winning record their.
Or the players and coaches get their s**t together. Which I highly doubt will happen because everytime we gain some momentum we get caught in our own 'hype' that we are back and boom back to Earth like last night. We are very overrated these days and are a victim of our own hard earnt reputation.

Watch the first half when you get a chance

Watched every minute. First quarter the Swans were putrid.

Still, the meltdowns in this thread were ridiculous when you consider how long we played short.

Should have beat them, but shot ourselves with a poor first quarter. Despite being 2 short we still came back to take the lead. There were a lot of positives to take from this game, but a few failed to see that.

Still, the meltdowns in this thread were ridiculous when you consider how long we played short.

Should have beat them, but shot ourselves with a poor first quarter. Despite being 2 short we still came back to take the lead. There were a lot of positives to take from this game, but a few failed to see that.
I see where you're coming from and agree to a degree. But if we were good enough to hit the lead we were good enough to win it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of positives??

2 questions here mate. Both about his competency.

1. How do you explain his inability to constantly get out coached by the same game plan that he has been opposed to a million times before which has a foundation built on allowing a spare man that he refuses to except ?

2. How has he as Senior Coach that over sees a program not been able to improve the perceived weakness with skills ? Or at the very least the consistency in that area ?

The buck stops with him and every coaching staff member under him. The worst part is they have skills but their mental application to executing them with purpose is appalling. There was nothing wrong with their skills last week because i witnessed it first hand from close range. Yes there was the odd turnover but the general field kicking and hand balling was that of a good side not the mentally fragile mistake ridden crap dished up last night. A perfect example is Melican who i am not hanging out to dry because his heart and determination to compete is fantastic but he kicks the football with the hope of it hitting a target rather than knowing it will hit the target. It is all above the shoulders and it his responsibility to fix it and to this point he does not have the competency to be able to do so.
So I'll start by saying I'm extremely frustrated that Hawthorn have been able to beat us consistently over the last few years and I've definitely felt like Longmire seems to lack a Plan B ... BUT he has taken us to a premiership and two grand finals in the last 6 years and in 2016 everyone outside the club predicted we'd slide outside the 8 and even this board saw it as a rebuilding year. Yet we were still in with a red hot chance of another flag deep into the final quarter of the season. Despite all the frustrations we all have at different times, the results show that he is certainly a good coach.

In answer to your questions:

1 - One of the counters to that game plan that he tried was the manic pressure option (I think last year?) and it was absolutely compelling to watch, but unfortunately it was too high impact. The pressure waned in the second half and the Hawks ran over us. Sure it wasn't successful, but he has tried something. Once, at least ...

2 - I'd argue that this lies more at the feet of the players than the coach. Yes, the buck stops with him, but the players have to take responsibility as well. Also, the way we played the last few weeks showed a different intent and the skills looked remarkably better. They certainly fell away last night under the pressure of the Hawthorn players though.

It was pretty rotten luck really watching the replay. If Lloyd had played the full game the way he has been playing the last few weeks, it would have been just enough for us to get over the line IMO even in spite of our poor play. But maybe a win would have wallpapered over the cracks and given us a false sense of being in finals contention.

As an aside, I couldn't believe how many Swans players were jogging in space when Hawthorn had the ball in the lead up to the Roughead mark. They took the ball forward with ridiculous ease. We must have been spent by that stage. Losing two rotations in today's game is bloody tough.

They were cooked but jeez it was still frustrating

1 - One of the counters to that game plan that he tried was the manic pressure option (I think last year?) and it was absolutely compelling to watch, but unfortunately it was too high impact. The pressure waned in the second half and the Hawks ran over us. Sure it wasn't successful, but he has tried something. Once, at least ...

We played keepings off with them at the G last year, and it worked, too.

No idea what Horse was thinking with that last night.

We played keepings off with them at the G last year, and it worked, too.

No idea what Horse was thinking with that last night.
There were a few wide shots on the television coverage where there were options to take, but the players seemed unwilling to do it and ended up putting up to a contest long down the wing. Super frustrating.

Not questioning his effort but young Hayward had absolutely no impact last night. The bye has come at the right time for him I think.

Hope we don't get a deja vu game against the Bulldogs after the bye as a few posters have already mentioned that Friday's game against the Hawks was played in a similar fashion (with similar opposition tactics) to last year's game at the SCG. The onus on the coaching staff is to serve up something different to unsettle the Dogs. If they can do that we can win.

Hope we don't get a deja vu game against the Bulldogs after the bye as a few posters have already mentioned that Friday's game against the Hawks was played in a similar fashion (with similar opposition tactics) to last year's game at the SCG. The onus on the coaching staff is to serve up something different to unsettle the Dogs. If they can do that we can win.

Every chance you beat us.

Sydney are favourite for a reason

Remove this Banner Ad

Back