Game Day Round 10, 2020: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *RYDER 250TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
bhXSvg5.png

Thanks for the reply. I only noticed because gold coast are gold coast suns in the team list

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That's a stylistic choice by Gold Coast, I for one am glad we haven't gone with the very weird sounding St Kilda Saints.

Last edited:
Yep as am i.

Something nobody is mentioning is the 1% work that Long does THIS year. All the pressure acts around the ball and man, the knock ons and deft touches don't record a stat and in my opinion he has been elite in this area. Stats be damned, watch the game and Long has it all over Savage. Most of his games this year i have had him in my best five on the ground.

Savage like Sinclair is a victim of the Richo era but unlike Sinclair he doesn't have age on his side. He's still borderline best 22 material but probably won't get a look in until someone falls over.
Long best 5 on the ground in most of his games? You’re dreaming. He’s had 2 good games, 2 average games, and 2 poor games. At this point in time, Savage is Long’s equal as an overall package, but Long has different strengths and weaknesses to Savage. Long has more scope to improve, whereas Ratts knows what Savage brings. I’m more than happy to keep pumping games into Long, unless his form drops away. In which case, we have multiple options to replace him.

You know we’re doing half decent when people are legitimate arguing Savage vs Long for 5 pages, nothing else to talk about :drunk:

FWIW, what Savage does is easily replicated by other people in our back line.

Long may not get the stats but if they ball is there to be won or a tackle to be made he will definitely put his body on the line.

I would highly recommend you all to watch the Tigers game again just for a part when Tigers are getting a run on and we’re about a goal up, Lynch has the ball and is about to put inside their 50 when Long randomly manages to run him down and save a goal.

Momentum changing tackle and iirc we didn’t look shaky after that.

Long best 5 on the ground in most of his games? You’re dreaming. He’s had 2 good games, 2 average games, and 2 poor games. At this point in time, Savage is Long’s equal as an overall package, but Long has different strengths and weaknesses to Savage. Long has more scope to improve, whereas Ratts knows what Savage brings. I’m more than happy to keep pumping games into Long, unless his form drops away. In which case, we have multiple options to replace him.

no just no.

This looks like the best line up so far this year if the guys hold their form.

I'd have liked to see Parker get a better run at it, but there's no arguments about Kent coming back.

We should just bank this win in a clinical fashion, though our 3rd quarters haven't been convincing, and the score line against the Swans was flattering. We aren't quite there yet unfortunately.

Roll the Suns and we can start thinking the f word.
Roll the Cats and we can start believing it..

Saints by 30+

It's good to think at this stage, about how we will probably win this game and by how much- how good the young guys are going, how good the recruits have been..better than previous years!

That's a stylistic choice by Gold Coast, I for one am glad we haven't gone with the very weird sounding St Kilda Saints.
I hate St Kilda Saints. It makes us sound like an American franchise that could be moved tomorrow if someone came up with the money.

I’ve told my wife that if I’m ever kidnapped and forced to record a video, I’d say I’m looking forward to getting home and watching St Kilda Saints. She’d know that anything after that is a lie.

A rare home ground advantage for any AFL clubs, the Gold Coast will be looking for a return to their improved form of earlier in the season.
Meanwhile St Kilda are riding the crest of a wave of good form. Win and we are maintaining top 4 form, going to second spot, lose and we will drift into the latter part of the eight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's good to think at this stage, about how we will probably win this game and by how much- how good the young guys are going, how good the recruits have been..better than previous years!
hope that doesn't come back to bite us

I think people are overstating how good Long has been this year - he's been fine. Had some great moments and some poor moments. And then downplaying Savage as potato as a way to help overhype Long even more.

The main difference I see between them as players is Long has the ability and the scope to be a very very good player while Savage has reached his ceiling as a reliable, C to B grade on the odd occasion player.

We need to keep getting games into Long to try to get him to reach that potential but as players right now, there wouldn't be that much difference between what they would produce for us tonight. And there are things that Savage does which is better than Long does right now, and there is things that Long does that Savage will never be able to do.

The club is in a great position if we have someone like Savage waiting in the wings as depth incase we need it.

You know we’re doing half decent when people are legitimate arguing Savage vs Long for 5 pages, nothing else to talk about :drunk:

Long may not get the stats but if they ball is there to be won or a tackle to be made he will definitely put his body on the line.

I would highly recommend you all to watch the Tigers game again just for a part when Tigers are getting a run on and we’re about a goal up, Lynch has the ball and is about to put inside their 50 when Long randomly manages to run him down and save a goal.

We could argue about dropping Geary and Membrey's form as well. I'm starting to get a just a little bit nervous again. We have done so much right this year and can't afford a slip up. The emotional high of winning two in SA and knocking off a side that has been making us their bitch for 10 years will have made us confident but could also drop our work rate, and we now have to step back down and knock off a routine weakling.

These are exactly the games that we have seemed to trip over in the last 8 years. Please just win this Saints. A step backwards here and the sides coming up under us aren't that far off, Melbourne is only 2 games behind us and we are three wins ahead of 17th. If we stop we could easily tumble.

Lets drop the Long v Savage now. We just have to hope Long plays well, Ratts is big picture and will look to the future not the now. Savage and others will get games as injury and fatigue set in, hopefully Savage is better for a run and others hit the ground running.

This looks like the best line up so far this year if the guys hold their form.

I'd have liked to see Parker get a better run at it, but there's no arguments about Kent coming back.

We should just bank this win in a clinical fashion, though our 3rd quarters haven't been convincing, and the score line against the Swans was flattering. We aren't quite there yet unfortunately.

Roll the Suns and we can start thinking the f word.
Roll the Cats and we can start believing it..

Saints by 30+

Yeah, I like Parker more than Kent but Kent had been owning his spot when he went down. Parker and Lonie offer more pressure, Kent more scoring and score assists. It's a shame Parker wasn't scoring because last year early season he was the best of both. He looks like someone too desperate to hold their spot. When others score he looks like he's disappointed because he knows if he'd kicked a couple he'd be cementing his spot. He needs to chill out and do some team orientated stuff, It's a shame Roughy isn't there for the forwards, they seemed more cohesive as a unit when he was there. It's nice that we have been winning despite a lot of improvement left in a lot of players.

I hate St Kilda Saints. It makes us sound like an American franchise that could be moved tomorrow if someone came up with the money.

I’ve told my wife that if I’m ever kidnapped and forced to record a video, I’d say I’m looking forward to getting home and watching St Kilda Saints. She’d know that anything after that is a lie.
Well said, thanks for expressing it so much better than I did.

Yeah, I like Parker more than Kent but Kent had been owning his spot when he went down. Parker and Lonie offer more pressure, Kent more scoring and score assists. It's a shame Parker wasn't scoring because last year early season he was the best of both. He looks like someone too desperate to hold their spot. When others score he looks like he's disappointed because he knows if he'd kicked a couple he'd be cementing his spot. He needs to chill out and do some team orientated stuff, It's a shame Roughy isn't there for the forwards, they seemed more cohesive as a unit when he was there. It's nice that we have been winning despite a lot of improvement left in a lot of players.

Agree completely about Parker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back