Review Round 10, 2024 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Mentally and physically weak player that would be moved on by a serious club aspiring to win a premiership.

Absolute rubbish. Was our best kf by miles, and performs in the hardest system for tall forwards.

To be 41 points down and keep battling and then kick two goals in 23 seconds to win. Not sure you suck that much.

When it needed to be won your players stood up and got it done.

Good teams win those close ones.

We’re winning games on the back of individual brilliance in spite of bad coaching.

it’s not sustainable, nor should it be necessary

Where was our massive win you predicted? Happy Clapper.
Just because we expect our team to smash their opponent it doesn't mean it always happens, have you not played sport before?

Before you complain, look at the scoreboard. Look at the ladder we are 7-3 and you are giving up on games after one goal. You are not a supporter, you are a critic. If you want to complain and whinge, wait until the game is finished. I would rather be a happy clapper than a whinging loser.

To be 41 points down and keep battling and then kick two goals in 23 seconds to win. Not sure you suck that much.

When it needed to be won your players stood up and got it done.

Good teams win those close ones.

Port should never have been 7 goals down at home to a rebuilding Hawks outfit that haven’t won a game outside of Vic/Tas in over 2 years.

If we served up that first half against a ‘fellow contender’ it would’ve been a shellacking.

Was the comeback successful and thrilling? Sure.

Will the footage of DBJ coolly sidefooting home at the death be shown in highlights packages ad nauseum? Absolutely.

Should that performance be considered in any way acceptable for a coach in his 12th season without a solitary Grand Final appearance, let alone a flag, who has had money and resources piled on top of him since replacing Matthew Primus way back when?

I thought I knew the answer to this, but now I’m not sure.

The definition of ‘success’ clears a very low bar at Alberton these days.

You can never not be absolutely pumped in the moment at those sorts of finishes. Doesn't change the 3.99% of the game that I just didn't want to be there and found embarrassing to watch.

Yeah, I understand where the “if you can’t get excited for that you may as well give the sport away!” takes are coming from in isolation.

But if a similar thing happens in Hobart next week, coming back from 8 goals down to overhaul a 17-point deficit with a mark of the year and goal of the year in the last 60 seconds, is that not cause for wider concern?

Or are we to keep up with the “bah try to enjoy the ride!” advice Andy Maher gave me in the wake of the Untenable/Swans game, and try to act surprised when we lose another Showdown or get smoked in September?

CA777351-1503-42C6-A7D3-07E823DE11C0.gif

An arguably undeserved win given the awful first 3 quarters, but to their credit the players kept at it when 100% of us would have thought it was game over, particularly when there was still an 11 point deficit with about 40 seconds left on the clock.

Re posters using `heck' as a replacement for `f**k', unless it's a new site rule I can't see the point.

I suspect if you watched the game back without the emotion you'd come to the conclusion that it was mainly the first quarter where we played badly.

The first quarter was diabolical, we just didn't come with the right mindset and got jumped. The middle two quarters were just a scrap in difficult conditions that favoured the opposition. We held our own but it still felt bad because we were behind by so much. Then the last quarter we finally found some form and started playing the game on our terms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done campaigners.

Amazing come back. Not sure how it happened, but it did.

Gritty wins like that galvanise a group creating resilience and belief.

We are toast now. Good luck for rest of season and finals. Kudos, amazing come back.

On the other hand you should be feeling good about how your side is progressing. Mitchell is a smart coach and Hawthorn's ball movement is spectacular at times. Sure with a young inexperienced group it will come off the rails now and again, but you learn from those moments too. Keep bringing the pressure, persisting with what you're doing with ball in hand and the good times will come.

The instant reaction to drop the ball whenever tackled is the worse thing in AFL. Umpires seem not to pay that HTB anymore.

Hawthorn perfected it yesterday, but all teams do it.

It’s actually two infractions on the law. Not only is the player not correctly disposing of the ball but they’re not even making a genuine attempt to do so. It’s so frustrating that neither violation is paid.

Instead every umpire in the league seems to be leaning on the “no prior, ball knocked out in the tackle” interpretation of events, which is absolutely not what’s happening 99% of the time.

More Kudos to Drew for holding width at the stoppage as the sweeper whilst also controlling space to open up the center circle as much possible
Both of which allowed him fire off the handball

I agree there are a couple of tired looking players, but they are only two games to go before the bye and I’m not sure who is there to bring in, given the Magpies had the bye this week.

The hubris of the sanfl :poo: me to tears. Ollie Lord desperately needed another game but oh no, the sanfl has to suspend the whole round to play a meaningless state game.

I suspect if you watched the game back without the emotion you'd come to the conclusion that it was mainly the first quarter where we played badly.

The first quarter was diabolical, we just didn't come with the right mindset and got jumped. The middle two quarters were just a scrap in difficult conditions that favoured the opposition. We held our own but it still felt bad because we were behind by so much. Then the last quarter we finally found some form and started playing the game on our terms.

That's the Norm not the outlier. Won't win that game in a final.

The HTB rule is an absolute farce now. If you drop the ball when tackled it's play on but if you drop it attempting a disposal it's HTB. So no one attempts a disposal any more they just absorb the tackle and spill the ball.

The moment before DBJ soccered the goal, McEntee should have had a free kick for his tackle on the Hawthorn player who was just waiting to be tackled so he could drop the ball. But he would never have been paid it.

BTW that soccer of DBJ's was a thing of beauty, Haaland would have been proud of that finish.

The HTB rule is an absolute farce now. If you drop the ball when tackled it's play on but if you drop it attempting a disposal it's HTB. So no one attempts a disposal any more they just absorb the tackle and spill the ball.

The moment before DBJ soccered the goal, McEntee should have had a free kick for his tackle on the Hawthorn player who was just waiting to be tackled so he could drop the ball. But he would never have been paid it.

BTW that soccer of DBJ's was a thing of beauty, Haaland would have been proud of that finish.

We do not laud DBJ for doing some freakish things in front goal. We spend too much time giving him :poo: when he spuds it up.

You can never not be absolutely pumped in the moment at those sorts of finishes. Doesn't change the 3.99% of the game that I just didn't want to be there and found embarrassing to watch.
Yup, was a shit night out until then.

We were at sixes and sevens in defence, BZT as a sub was bizarre and some of Mitchell's coaching moves befuddled Hinkley. Took us a half to work out their kick in strategy.

They thoroughly outplayed us for much of the match but I will ask the question, when was the last time you saw Adelaide go 10-2 behind in the free kick count at Adelaide Oval?

I'm not sure we did work out their kick in strategy. a number of times in the last qtr that long kick to the open side on the Eastern wing was there, just that Hawthorn had clearly put the cue in the rack and were playing it safe and not once took it on like they did the previous 3 qtrs.

The free kick count go to 14-3 at one point. Although saying that at that time we were second to the ball on almost every occasion, and we had alot more going wrong then just the umpires.

When all was almost lost did i see Bergman in the centre square for a bit? I'd rather we try Bergman in there then Mead to be honest. I know Mead was good against Geelong but they had one of the league's worst midfields that game. He's too slow, small to be a long term mid, I'd rather those minutes were given to Bergman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back