Review Round 10, 2024 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha the only reason it says we were in front for 58 seconds is because of the 45 second commercial break and then the umpire walking in to bonce the ball after he got the ok that the commercial break was over.
I also wonder with the 58 seconds if there was any checking as to whether it was touched at all? Every time I watch that replay I think geez it is awfully close to the Hawks leg when DBJ soccer's it. Just an incredibly rare and amazing moment, everything had to fall just right.

I also wonder with the 58 seconds if there was any checking as to whether it was touched at all? Every time I watch that replay I think geez it is awfully close to the Hawks leg when DBJ soccer's it. Just an incredibly rare and amazing moment, everything had to fall just right.
My other half was home and saw the last few minutes on TV, and heard one commentator say we were in front for only 26 seconds in the entire game.

You should know by now that the club does not give a **** what you or the other sack Hinkley ****wits think. You lot are a loud obnoxious minority. While the club is still getting 60000 members each year the board will do what it feels is the right move not come to big footy and read your same ****ing comments week in week out. Get a life!!
So I suppose your solution is to maintain the status quo until Ken finally gets it right, and takes us to the promised land? My as yet unborn grandchild will be going to university before that happens.

The following stats come from an AAP article by Martin Smith that the club put up on its website on Sunday night.

I have adjusted / added in Sunday's game, and from AFL Tables picked up the time of the biggest margin. AFL Tables don't have this info for games before 2001.

Port Adelaide's biggest comeback wins (all time)​

=1 41 points (Rd 10 2024 v Haw) Biggest lead:41 (Q3 22m 30s)
1. 41 points (R5, 2013 v WCE)..... Biggest lead:41 (Q3 19m 0s)

2. 40 points (R12, 1997 v WBD)........AFL Tables don't have a time line in 1997 but this was at the end of first quarter score Port 1.4 10 v Western Bulldogs 8.2 50. There was a huge wind that day for first half. Bulldogs only kicked 3 pts in the 2nd quarter. Port won 14.10 v 12.10.

3. 39 points (R14, 2000 v WCE)........ AFL Tables don't have a time line in 2000 but this was during the 2nd quarter. But most it could have been was 38 pts as Port were 9 pts at 1/4 time and West Coast 47 pts at 1/2 time.
=4. 37 points (R10, 2024 v HAW)
=4. 37 points (R18, 2001 v ADE)..Biggest lead:37 (Q2 7m 41s)
6. 34 points (R4, 2011 v ADE)..... Biggest lead:34 (Q2 12m 18s)

My favourite comeback before Sunday night was:
32 points ( Rd 8 Saturday arvo game also on 19th May v NM) Biggest lead:32 (Q4 8m 12s)

Sunday night 3/4 time deficit was 28pts, the 2012 3/4 time deficit was 21pts NM. kicked 3.0 goals to our 1.1, their 3rd goal was at the 8m 12s mark, then we kicked 5.4 to 0.0 to win by 2 pts.

I haven't found it to confirm it, but I'm pretty sure our biggest 3/4 time AFL deficit comeback before Sunday night, was 24pts.

Last edited:
TBH, I nearly left at halve time but spent most the game on my phone posting my dislike for Ken. We dodged another bullet from an below average team at home.
Yep, I was anything but positively pumped. In fact I was really annoyed. The team I'm seeing is so mentally weak I think we're miles off doing anything in finals. In the last 3 weeks we have not been adequately prepared to play in 2 of those games. We rely heavily on our top end talent to keep us in games long enough for two thirds of the team to wake up & put in the required effort. We won't get this chance in finals. Seen it all before but I think our game day preparation this year is actually worse. So close to giving Port away until the f*wits running it are long gone.

Hi ****wit, can you please explain how Carlton have gone changing coaches 5 times in the time that Ken has been at Port??
Can you please explain how we beat Richmond by 10 plus goals in 2014 & haven't even made a GF since. Meanwhile Richmond have won 3 flags & 8 OTHER sides that finished below us after completion of that 2014 final series have either won a flag or at least made a GF.
In fact only Port, Carlton, Essendon, Gold Coast & North Melbourne have not made a GF during Hinkleys coaching tenure. Some elite company there. Hinkley & Koch can't get it done & they never will. You may be happy for your club to achieve such pathetic results but I'm not.

Last edited:
Defo not Chadbro, I am just a normal ****wit member like many of you. Sick to ficking death of coming onto this forum for years with all the sack Hinkley bullshit. Sure we haven’t won the premiership that we all crave but out of the current 18 coaches there is only 3 coaches with a better win/loss record than Hinkley. They are Longmire, Chris Scott and Macrae. I just don’t buy into the bullshit of changing a coach is going to win a premiership. Ask Carlton how that has gone.
You just parrot the same crap the club does. They find the one positive stat they can all bleat about coz they've got nothing else. It doesn't matter if we can consistently beat up on the weak teams to get that W/L percentage. We can't consistently beat the top 4-8 teams & guess what - that means we can't make a GF. Hinkley has tried for years & FAILED. He will continue to FAIL.

Last edited:
Comparing the Ryder taps to Gray St Kilda win to the Motlop showdown win I think this win provided the best game-day reaction/experience. I’ve been trying to work out why and I think it’s because I’m so used to the predictable “what happened Power” moment of us being so so poor after a great win the previous week. My expectation was that we’d come back in the last quarter and inevitably lose by 5 points, those last 30 seconds were fantastic, to hear my kids say “that’s why you don’t leave” and see the crowd make the stadium shake - I live in hope (which will of course kill me).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comparing the Ryder taps to Gray St Kilda win to the Motlop showdown win I think this win provided the best game-day reaction/experience. I’ve been trying to work out why and I think it’s because I’m so used to the predictable “what happened Power” moment of us being so so poor after a great win the previous week. My expectation was that we’d come back in the last quarter and inevitably lose by 5 points, those last 30 seconds were fantastic, to hear my kids say “that’s why you don’t leave” and see the crowd make the stadium shake - I live in hope (which will of course kill me).
I agree. The finish on Sunday was insane. When Rioli kicked his goal I didn't even get excited, all I could think was we were in for a heartbreaking 5 point loss. And the rest happened so fast I don't think it even sunk in straight away what had just happened. When it did, we just laughed in disbelief while we were cheering madly. I said exactly the same thing - "that's why you always stay to the bitter end".
I know some here are refusing to go to games until Ken is gone, and my opinion of Ken is much the same as theirs, but these occasions are why I keep going to games, you just never know when something like that will happen and, when they do, you just have to be there.

I agree. The finish on Sunday was insane.
Yep, maniacal laughter - brilliant memory to share with the kids.

I feel the same about going to games, I was miserable for the majority of the game and kept saying “this would be funny if it hadn’t have been so predictable.” Happy to have the ending prove me wrong.

Did anyone notice, but didn't seem like Cornes was on the bench this game. Am I wrong or club listening to BF lol
Agreed. I wondered why.

I have assumed that Hinkley does the overall concept of how a game should be played, and Carr does the finer matchday details.

Information has to be provided to Hinkley for the breaks when he addresses the players. I have seen this provided on paper and via Chad.

So how it was done without Chad nearby I couldn't see.

Hinkley rarely seems to communicate via headphones.

He is, however, very good at waving his arms around and doing the Hokey Pokey with Chad. Perhaps like dancing bees, they are processing data. But I digress.

/smartarse

Spare a thought for my old man who decided to go take a piss with 2 minutes left.

This is what he looked like running up the steps 10 seconds after DBJ's goal went through.
tumblr_inline_o8fnqzBPRV1r2f586_540.png

He had enough time to turn around and see the replay of the goal on the big screen.

The following stats come from an AAP article by Martin Smith that the club put up on its website on Sunday night.

I have adjusted / added in Sunday's game, and from AFL Tables picked up the time of the biggest margin. AFL Tables don't have this info for games before 2001.

2. 40 points (R12, 1997 v WBD)........AFL Tables don't have a time line in 1997 but this was at the end of first quarter score Port 1.4 10 v Western Bulldogs 8.2 50. There was a huge wind that day for first half. Bulldogs only kicked 3 pts in the 2nd quarter. Port won 14.10 v 12.10.

3. 39 points (R14, 2000 v WCE)........ AFL Tables don't have a time line in 2000 but this was during the 2nd quarter. But most it could have been was 38 pts as Port were 9 pts at 1/4 time and West Coast 47 pts at 1/2 time.

32 points ( Rd 8 Saturday arvo game also on 19th May v NM) Biggest lead:32 (Q4 8m 12s)

Sunday night 3/4 time deficit was 28pts, the 2012 3/4 time deficit was 21pts NM. kicked 3.0 goals to our 1.1, their 3rd goal was at the 8m 12s mark, then we kicked 5.4 to 0.0 to win by 2 pts.

I haven't found it to confirm it, but I'm pretty sure our biggest 3/4 time AFL deficit comeback before Sunday night, was 24pts.
1997 come back v Bulldogs was the NIGEL FIEGERT game. What a character he was.

1997 come back v Bulldogs was the NIGEL FIEGERT game. What a character he was.
Yeah, Nigel kicked some crucial goals in the 2nd qtr of that game including from memory the goal to put us in front, and after each goal he called for the trainer to bring out his asthma puffer.

My other memory is of Don Scott bagging the win even though we had to come from close to 7 goals down to get it.

Yeah, Nigel kicked some crucial goals in the 2nd qtr of that game including from memory the goal to put us in front, and after each goal he called for the trainer to bring out his asthma puffer.

My other memory is of Don Scott bagging the win even though we had to come from close to 7 goals down to get it.

I recall Don Scott quit as South Adelaide coach in 1985 just after we beat them by 10 goals at Alberton. Maybe he didn't like his reception from Port fans and the outcome of the match? ;)

Can you please explain how we beat Richmond by 10 plus goals in 2014 & haven't even made a GF since. Meanwhile Richmond have won 3 flags & 8 OTHER sides that finished below us after completion of that 2014 final series have either won a flag or at least made a GF.
In fact only Port, Carlton, Essendon, Gold Coast & North Melbourne have not made a GF during Hinkleys coaching tenure. Some elite company there. Hinkley & Koch can't get it done & they never will. You may be happy for your club to achieve such pathetic results but I'm not.
Well said!

The 2012 comeback vs North Melb, I believed we could win if we kept kicking to Schulz.
The West Coast comeback in 2013 I believed we had a chance the whole time.
The Hawthorn comeback on the weekend we didn't look anywhere near in the game until Amon gave away the free vs Rioli.

The 2012 comeback vs North Melb, I believed we could win if we kept kicking to Schulz.
The West Coast comeback in 2013 I believed we had a chance the whole time.
The Hawthorn comeback on the weekend we didn't look anywhere near in the game until Amon gave away the free vs Rioli.
I genuinely had absolutely no hope of it happening, right up until it did 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back