Autopsy Round 10, 2018: Richmond v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Geary should never have anywhere near 30 touches. The role we’ve got him playing is hard to fathom.
I'd take that game from him every week no dramas at all!

Hard to complain about a game of 32 disposals (11 contested), at 81% DE (with 5 turnovers, which is a standard sort or number for someone who's had it that much), 12 intercepts, 10 marks, 5 tackles and our 3rd-highest number of ranking points (re the AFL website).

I also like that he played to his strengths (or at least away from his weaknesses) and handballed more than he kicked.

If we want to get more games into Rice, we'd better get used to it, and hopefully he'll play a lot more like that one.

The Dusty fendoff.

When he goes for the initial contact and pushes his weight forward so he can fendoff I'd love to see our player grab his arm and drag him forward towards the tackler then tackle falling backwards. I think its all about using Dustys weight shift against him.

Yeo tackled him around the waist so he hit high if he fended off and also held him up. It seemed to work well.

Hard to complain about a game of 32 disposals (11 contested), at 81% DE (with 5 turnovers, which is a standard sort or number for someone who's had it that much), 12 intercepts, 10 marks, 5 tackles and our 3rd-highest number of ranking points (re the AFL website).

I also like that he played to his strengths (or at least away from his weaknesses) and handballed more than he kicked.

If we want to get more games into Rice, we'd better get used to it, and hopefully he'll play a lot more like that one.

I though Geary was excellent today. he did have a couple of mistakes but over all he played like a senior leader should. He's one of the whipping boys but he's far from our worst player. People complained that he had a lot of disposal but that Dusty did more with less, at the end of the day he's not a class player he's a grunt player who works had. He's like Callan Ward, he's a good role model for the kids even if he's not in the same category as the superstars of the comp.

He's been made to work really hard for a game yet looks more composed than some of our senior journeymen. Can already see shades of Dean with the uncompromising tough footy.
He's just a "natural footballer" (as you would hope, given his genes), with good skills, so a lot of it has been waiting for him to build on his previously awful endurance, and apparently for him to take his footy more seriously/professionally, but it's hard to imagine we couldn't have squeezed him in sooner than this.

I didn't think he looked out of place in that JLT game he played against Carlton before the start of last season and he played plenty of good footy in the VFL last year.

Glad that he's in there and showing good signs now tho.

He's just a "natural footballer" (as you would hope, given his genes), so a lot of it has been waiting for him to build on his previously awful endurance, and apparently for him to take his footy more seriously/professionally, but it's hard to imagine we couldn't have squeezed him in sooner than this.

I didn't think he looked out of place in that JLT game he played against Carlton before the start of last season and he played plenty of good footy in the VFL last year.

Glad that he's in there and showing good signs now tho.
Agree. He's defs got a future imo.
Love to see him become a player of Dean 's level. Was spewing when we lost him.

So examples of inconsistency in umpiring, media and MRP.

Jake Carlisle knocked out from knee to the head by Fyfe in a contest. Unconcious from the impact, Carlisle slumps to the ground somehow still with the ball. Tackled the ball is pinned to him while still unconcious. Carlisle assisted off the ground by trainers. Carlisle misses a week with concussion.
Umpire. No free kick, instead while unconcious gets tackled and holding the ball paid against him.
Media, purely accidental by Fyfe.
MRP, no case to answer for Fyfe.

Jake Carlisle makes head contact to JRoo with forearm while attempting a spoil in a marking contest (see the same thing 100 times a week). JRoo lands bum first then his head whiplashes against his own knee making him suffer concussion. JRoo walks off the ground still concious but a little groggy. Following assessment takes no further part in the game.
Umpire. Jake Carlisle reported on the spot and free kick paid.
Media (fox footy) Jake Carlisle will get at least 2 weeks for that you'd think.
Media. Jake Carlisle Saint or Sinner?
MRP. We'll have to wait and see won't we.

Last edited:
Problem is that we still need 2 talls & Membrey up Forward if we’re gonna persist with bombing long to the hotspot. No point it being part of the gameplan when we’re bombing long to Lonie up against Astbury with Rance dropping off his man to intercept mark.

If they want this to work with the current team, McCartin or Membrey need to stay forward to mark or bring the ball to ground. They don’t need to be pushing up the ground so far leaving the long marking option to be a Lonie/Billings/Gresham type
There was also quite a lot to like about transition out of defence throughout the day that resulted in quick ball movement into the small fwds like gresh against some pretty decent pressure.
Richmond are the best pressure team in the league.
Not all transition to fwd will be clean but there was enough to notice a huge improvement in that area.

Yeah improved effort for sure,but for the 2nd week in a row we completely folded after appearing in strong positions halfway through the third.
What really concerns me amongst numerous other things, is our complete lack of resolve when the opposition step it up.
Make no mistake Richmond were there for the taking today. But the Saints continue to astound me with decision making and deplorable skills, quite frankly not fit for AFL standard. It continues to baffle me how some of our players can get even get to that level considering their appalling
Kicking and handballing skills!
Some positives though, mainly from our youth! Just got to get better with all the basics in the game!
I'll take being inconsistent over being consistently s**t anyday!

Signs of life are increasing. We are scraping ourselves off the canvas and that is why we needed to be patient and let things play out. We needed to see how we deal with adversity; we are starting to see it. Keep watching...

The team we should be going with going forward for the rest of the season, on the basis of today, with an eye to the future, and looking at a hypothetical full list is, IMO:

FB: Webster - Austin - White
HB: Rice - Carlisle - Coffield
RK: Pierce - Steven - Ross
CR: Billings - Steele - Acres
HF: Newnes - Battle - Gresham
FF: Long - McCartin - Membrey
IC: Dunstan Sinclair Phillips Clark

Em: Lonie Freeman Langlands Paton Connellan

—————————————————————

That being said, you would be a brave man to say Geary won’t be in the team every week if fit, and that Hickey (at this stage), or Longer will be first ruck, with Marshall the likely backup, and frankly, I’d be shocked if Bruce wasn’t back in when fit, and Savage and Roberton would be the ‘experience’ picks over the kids.

So, realistically, what I’d expect to see from the coaching staff is:

OUT: Rice, Pierce, Battle, Coffield, White, Lonie.

IN: Geary, Hickey, Bruce, Savage, Roberton, Weller.

EDIT: forgot Gresh... I’m as shocked as you are...

Last edited:
The team we should be going with going forward for the rest of the season, on the basis of today, with an eye to the future, and looking at a hypothetical full list is, IMO:

HF: Newnes - Battle - Clark
IC: Dunstan Sinclair Phillips Lonie

Em: Freeman Langlands Paton Connellan

—————————————————————

That being said, you would be a brave man to say Geary won’t be in the team every week if fit, and that Hickey (at this stage), or Longer will be first ruck, with Marshall the likely backup, and frankly, I’d be shocked if Bruce wasn’t back in when fit, and Savage and Roberton would be the ‘experience’ picks over the kids.

Why would you want Hickey out? Thought he was excellent today.

The Dusty fendoff.

When he goes for the initial contact and pushes his weight forward so he can fendoff I'd love to see our player grab his arm and drag him forward towards the tackler then tackle falling backwards. I think its all about using Dustys weight shift against him.
Some Steven Segal type s**t

Why would you want Hickey out? Thought he was excellent today.
I thought he was fairly comfortably beaten around the ground by Nankervis, not a remarkably athletic ruckman, without actually being bad today.

I’m more looking at going forward; it’s not that long ago that we were lauding Billy in the face of Hickey’s ineptitude either, don’t forget that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IC: Dunstan Sinclair Phillips Lonie

Em: Freeman Langlands Paton Connellan

—————————————————————

roberton's a great player, and hickey holds out pierce for now.. but like the rest. If push came to shove in the back line I feel like robo could be a threat up forward or on the wing.

FB: Webster - Austin - Roberton
RK: Hickey - Steven - Ross
CR: Billings - Acres - Phillips
IC: Dunstan Sinclair White Lonie

pretty much the same team but dropped steele for robbo, moved acres into the centre (dunstan probably more suitable but i have goat love), phillips from the bench to the wing and white from the back pocket to the bench.. also hickey for pierce

Last edited:
That 3rd quarter brought back membreys of the 2010 GF.

GODDARD!!!

6e6d4ef771e549c270dc30b06eca0a7c.jpg

Back when BJ could still leap, hasn't taken a mark like that for Essendon.

That is exactly my point. He might hit the odd player who’s 20m in the clear but he’s not someone who’s got the skill level to take us forward. With the kicks he takes his DE should be 100%. When he was in the side defending the best opposition small all good but running around looking for touches we’ve got far better options for that.

Bloody depressing how accurate this is.

Although I’m disappointed, Dmac couldn’t even crack the emergencies in hypothetical.
Honestly, I just forgot him. Thought he showed something today.

That 3rd quarter brought back membreys of the 2010 GF.

GODDARD!!!

6e6d4ef771e549c270dc30b06eca0a7c.jpg

Back when BJ could still leap, hasn't taken a mark like that for Essendon.
I stood up too quickly & cheered so loudly that in that moment that I fainted very briefly. Literally slumped into my seat, and came around as he kicked the goal. Lol

**** I can still remember getting chills after he took that mark and thinking we’re finally going to do it :(

I was a mixture of we're going to do it and we're going to f*** this up and we did neither, we got a draw and f***ed it up a week later.

The Bulldogs and Richmond might have fluked some flags recently but no one remembers any great moments from those GFs.

Everyone remembers when Goddard flew from the clouds in the 2010 GF, that was an epic moment, they can't take that away from us.

Silverware is overrated.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back