Autopsy Round 11 2024 – Geelong Cats vs GWS Giants, Saturday May 25, 4.35pm AEST, GMHBA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

So where does Leek fit into the backline with Buckley to come back in?

I've never been totally comfortable with Perryman in the backline due to his disposal errors.

I would prefer Aleer starting and Perryman on the interchange when Buckley returns.

I posted this in the pre-game thread as part of an article entitled “Why former ‘Geelong nuffie’ Connor Idun is confident GWS Giants aren’t far from their best”:

‘Kind of understand how Connor feels. I am from his former neck of the woods and will be going to the game courtesy of tickets being available due to the whole extended family being ‘nuffies’; myself being the exception having never following the ‘Pivotonians’ and been with GWS since TAC days. If we win tomorrow and I don’t post again; it probably means I had to leave town’

Yes, I attended the game and learnt the following:
  • This game is played mostly above the shoulders, except if you’re an umpire;
  • The local horde really lift the Cats when the momentum goes their way; this was the grittiest of wins.
  • Our cheer squad are great as they never stopped their encouragement of our players even when the tide and horde were against them.
  • In Fandom terms, ‘Geelong nuffie’ is a tautology.
  • The couch is likely to be quite comfortable tonight.
P.S: Colonial, it was one bloody hell of a game to be at!

So where does Leek fit into the backline with Buckley to come back in?

HH moves forward? Give Cadman a rest?

I've never been totally comfortable with Perryman in the backline due to his disposal errors.

I would prefer Aleer starting and Perryman on the interchange when Buckley returns.
I don't see either of those options occurring. It was great to see him play well - definitely the best of his few games that he's played to date - but I suspect he goes back to being the first reserve.

Leek is not the best disposer of the ball, and we already have issues down back, so I can't see us moving HH out, who is one of our better kickers (although, he sometimes runs himself into trouble by playing on without there being a good option available, and is more of a long kicker than a pinpoint kicker).

While I agree Perryman is not the greatest disposer of the ball, I don't think it's that bad that he'll be replaced. And putting Aleer into the backline makes it even taller than it already is - effectively with 5 talls (Taylor, Buckley, HH, Idun & Haynes). Of course, Leek is pretty mobile, but still, I'd be surprised if that happens.

I don't see either of those options occurring. It was great to see him play well - definitely the best of his few games that he's played to date - but I suspect he goes back to being the first reserve.

Leek is not the best disposer of the ball, and we already have issues down back, so I can't see us moving HH out, who is one of our better kickers (although, he sometimes runs himself into trouble by playing on without there being a good option available, and is more of a long kicker than a pinpoint kicker).

While I agree Perryman is not the greatest disposer of the ball, I don't think it's that bad that he'll be replaced. And putting Aleer into the backline makes it even taller than it already is - effectively with 5 talls (Taylor, Buckley, HH, Idun & Haynes). Of course, Leek is pretty mobile, but still, I'd be surprised if that happens.
Hard to argue with your points, but Leek is pretty soon going to develop into a player too dynamic for the VFL. Will create a dilemma.

One aspect that has been a constant issue is stoppages.

In every category, today's stats were well above season average.

Hit outs 51-32. Briggs had a blinder. Long awaited, but gave our mids first crack.

Stoppage clearances 30-28, the only area where Geelong did better, but that's much of a muchness (still 4 better than our average).

Best game from our mids for ages and that was despite losing Coniglio relatively early.

I didn't think Idun was capable of a game like that, hats off to the coaching staff. We played good footy for one qtr when we took the game on and the rest, well, winning is better than losing. Can use the bye to reset. I posed a question a few weeks ago, who is this years Briggs from last year, who could come in change our fortunes, maybe he just won us the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toby Bedford:

For the first half:

1 Disposal (hand pass)
No tackles

If a small is to be dropped, he should be at the top of the list.

Hasn't played well all year and is a passenger.
Bedford is horribly out of form.
He has been fumbly and missed targets all year.
His runn is important, buyhe needs to be far cleaner

I thought we were good today.
Felt we were unlucky, but still got the win.
I thought the lesser names had some excellent moments.
Angwin's too way running is great. Aleer big late.
Riccardi and Cadman both big moments.
Finn was better in the square and looking more and more dangerous

Aleer’s heroic efforts late in the game was appreciated by our fans, and I for one am glad that Aleer spent time rewarding our supporters after the game.

In just his seventh AFL game, defender Leek Aleer played a pivotal role in GWS’ huge victory over the Cats in Geelong on Saturday night.
At just 22 years old, the Kenyan-born youngster then duly soaked up the moment, signing autographs and taking selfies with fans after coming from the ground following the crunch 11.12 (78) to 11.8 (74) win.

The only problem? The entire Giants team was deep inside the dressing room and about to sing the team song.

Man oh man that mark by Leek Aleer….he is going to be a star of the comp that kid!

What about all the boys getting around him, damn I love this game!! ❤️
Listening to him talk after the game got the impression this could be the game that makes him feel he truly belongs at this level and be a real turning point for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back