Review Round 12, 2021 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

delivery inside 50 extremely poor. Turning point in the game ( we were still in front at that stage ) Zorks, giving away a free on the wing and we had possession, very disappointing from a team perspective,then after that we just gave up mentally.Very Disappointing and tonight we looked slow. Madden and answerth must come in, to give speed.

Pretty clearly didn't have the legs to go with them once they challenged in the third. More than a few contests where we just didn't have it in us to make the contest even when we had an outnumber. And that didn't happen too often after a point.

Andrews and Bailey were fantastic. Clugga and Robertson and I'll have to stew on the last. Hipwood or potentially Ah Chee.

Prior and Coleman put in good games, especially in the middle of the game. Matho was exciting when he came on, showing what he can be made of.

I did worry that our long bombs forward in the first that we managed to convert into scoring shots due to our pressure would be found out as the game went on but I didn't think that would happen as well as our midfield completely dropping off.

I did worry that our long bombs forward in the first that we managed to convert into scoring shots due to our pressure would be found out as the game went on but I didn't think that would happen as well as our midfield completely dropping off.

Dees definitely figured us out on that front. Set up clinically in the second to cut those off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They made the most of their centre bounce wins and F50 entries. We squandered a lot of chances in the 2nd quarter. Rich and Birchall together are too slow. We really need a Madden type for the overlap running out of half back to make our switches quicker. Payne needs to come in, Lester was soundly beaten and looking injured out there. If we face them in the finals series would love to have an explosive type player like Cockatoo (wish it was Raynor :( )playing F50 then rotating inside, move Dev to the wing and Prior misses out. Big O held his own in the first half but got soundly beaten in the second as he tired. Joe was a nonfactor at times and looked tired out there. McStay also a nonfactor - really needs to get on his bike more. I think the 6 day turnaround really did bite us on the arse in the 4th. Absolutely no run. Defensive transition was poor. Dev and Lyons did a good job going with Petracca in the 1st half but got beaten on the second. Prior was unsighted after a good first half. Neale did get some dominant breaks midway through the third but may need a few matches to really build into it. Zorko lost his cool and we gave away several chances early in the first and third through ill discipline. Lots of areas to learn and improve. Hopefully we take this match and use it to cause an upset in the finals ala the Richmond QF win last year.

We lost our early games which spend a lot of energy. As does the seven game winning streak. We ran out of gas, but the first half was running out of gas in style.

Great work guys, enjoy your break and have that game on constant replay in the background. That'll fire you up.

Sydney loss, both cats losses last year, hawks rd 1 last year. Plenty that were more disappointing in the last 12 months.
Eh, stand by it. In terms of expectation at half time compared to full time result, that's the most flattened I've felt by this side since we were a proper ordinary team. Each to their own though!

Guys looked gassed in the second half, Neale looked underdone. I don't think we got going all night, even in the first half I thought our run was missing.

Melbourne was too good tonight, but we didn't play anywhere near our potential I don't think they are much better than us honestly

Yep.

Been saying that for a couple of years.

Oscars contested marking a few years ago was great but has dropped off. His follow up work and tackling was great last year but isn't there this year. His ruckwork has improved but is still subpar he use to break even with the gun rucks but no longer .

Not offering anying at the moment.

I only watched the second half so can only comment on the second half.
I thought Gawn smashed us to pieces.
Birchill is just too slow. I agree with whoever it was that said about Lester, Rich and Birchill in the team. This was highlighted by Melbourne’s speed. I’m not sure why we recruited him to be honest. I dont think we needed him. Hodge made sense I dont think he did.
Our midfield just got smashed everywhere.
Without Andrews it could have been a lot worse. I think he probably stopped at least 5 goals. He’s not the quickest or most athletic guy out there but his footy brain is top notch.
Richs long boot is useless if he doesn’t have any options.

My biggest worry over the last few years is our relative lack of speed. It could be what stops us winning a premiership.

Could Matho play in defence? At least he brings pressure.

We get beaten constantly by teams with big mids.
Petracca, Danger, Dusty, Cripps, Bont, Fyffe.
Tackled well first half then lots of guys missed tackles, watched and jogged
Dev, Lyons, Hippy, Andrews and Bailey.
Zorko I would of as well stupid free cost us at a bad time.
Madden dropped was a mistake rather play Ah Chee forward and had him play.

Tooo many bombs into forward line second half. If May and Lever had Hippy/Joe where was McStay all night had 7 disposals.

Demons too good we looked again too slow
Had the cats vibe all over it from SCG last year.

Back