Review Round 13, 2017 - Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you seen much of Cedric Cox, if you didn't know prior to watching him you wouldn't be able to tell which was his dominant side.

Cox was already well known for being dual sided ahead of the draft. Kicking with the non dominant is something weve only started practising as a group this year. Already we are seeing benefits, as on multiple occasions in most games we have been able to get out of trouble by going on the opposite leg.

so many times we would have a long chain of possessions, and not give it away with a skill error - and come out of it successfully. Belief is a beautiful thing. Did anyone else feel we have turned the corner?

Yeah for sure, and players now are seeing more evidence in the benefits of our play, and will have more confidence. With a reasonable injury run we should be better in the second half of the season.

It's a massive shame Bundy is out for the year. He's be shining in this current team as another classy ball user on the end of these handball chains. Icing on the cake.

We found space today was nice.

We need to lower our eyes a bit, just skying so many balls into the forward 25 meter zone.

All up VERY good signs, boys are up and about.

We will get a good look at the giants next week.

It's a massive shame Bundy is out for the year. He's be shining in this current team as another classy ball user on the end of these handball chains. Icing on the cake.
I agree totally with this! Bundy was in really good knick and was primed for a break out year. His skills and creativity would be massively beneficial to us. Hope he gets back next year fully fit and firing.

The only bit l really don't like atm is the corralling is still there but also our kicking into the f50. It is always just bombing, hardly ever to the advantage or lowering the eyes.
I think the long kicks inside 50 is part of the game plan. Preseason games we were doing the exact same thing. Wish we went hard at Casboult a few years ago... he would dominate with the long and fast delivery we are giving our forwards when we play our best. Hipwood and Schache aren't able to contest marking that well yet which makes the long kick look a lot worse than it really is. I do agree though wish we would use it less often and lower the eyes when our forwards are on the move but the thing is they aren't that great with their leading patterns yet.

Still think our forward line would function a lot better if we had an developed big body up there, I would say Josh Walker but they are trying to turn him into a defender, maybe give Close or Freeman another go.

Just finished watching the game on record.

In three years time we're going to * i n g start smashing teams.
Yep, I'm super excited for the future of this team. You can see the beginnings of a very good side IMO, silky skills, definable game plan and buy in from the players emerging, just got to top it off and nail the next couple of drafts and an astute trade or 2 eg. Charlie Cameron.

Beams had a quiet game today but I have noticed that a lot of his kicks are just banging it long into the fwd line rather than picking out targets.
Just an observation- I still rate him.

Mathieson's best game by a mile. Spread hard, constantly presented and found space... Some great inside work too..... he'll be an absolute gun @ 50 games.
Matheson, Berry and Clugga have to play every game... literally improving every game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor leading up forward plays a big part in this.

100% - theres a few factors.

What you said.

Teams are very concious of our ability to get over the back after the Dogs game and a couple of others, so teams are uniformly clogging us up deep.

We are also kicking it deep into the pocket on about 50% of entries, Rich puts them there almost every time ATM. I think its a coaching directive, knowing we probley arn't going to clunk a mark and when it goes to ground we will have the safety of the boundary line, and the opposition wont be in a position to rebound quickly down the middle as they would if a forward was beaten 1 on 1.. 40 meters out directly in front of our goal.. barrett and lewey have benefited from these deep pocket entries lately, with crumbs.

Hipwood doesent have his leading patterns sorted at all, so many drop on his head (cant recall him taking many chest marks on the lead?) - he is not a lead up foward, Schache should help with this when he's ready.

All these factors have lead to the eye test looking like 'we just bomb it in'.. I think theres a bit of system to it and some clear reasons its happening.

Showed a lot of pluck even in the final few minutes. I'd like to see a bit more of a structured forward entry, as at the moment we seem to be just bombing in long and hoping for a crumb and goal over the back of the contest. Until our forwards have the muscle on them to hold their ground for the one-on-ones we need to take advantage of their agility - Hipwood in particular. And if they double up on him then that surely should release another option.

Sweating a little on Rocky and Beams, here's hoping they just had a bit of an off game. I noted Beams copped a few heavy tackles through the game so hopefully he's not carrying anything else - though I suspect Rocky's place is just to on the field to take a tag with a numb shoulder at the moment.

Zorks continues to make heads turn. We've known for a long time he's got something special, and finally Victoria is starting to take notice.

Slightly off topic ... when Ryder is mentioned I still mentally tag with 'drug cheat'. Difficult to say when we don't know what they took precisely but is the Ryder (or Heppell etc) of today free of lasting effects from that time or would their bodies today be pretty much what any normal players' body would have been without the pump up and hiatus?

Just got back from Adelaide Oval, was the most enjoyable live match I've seen us play in at least 5 years. Hipwood Mark & goal right infront of us was worth the price of admission.

We has issues moving the ball from defence to attack all night & our forward set up wasnt working for us Hipwood can't do it all by himself & Archie & Martin aren't forwards & don't help things.

Also still a little bit timid in the contest, ports mids definitely crack in harder with their bigger mids. And in general we were smashed in the middle Ryder just dominated.

We left so many goals out there, was at least 4-5 times where 1 clean possession at half forward would have set up a loose man 30 meters out but we fumbled or missed a handball or kicked sideways.
The good;
Zorko started a bit off but geez he came good, Bastinac played his best game for us. Hipwood worked hard wasn't easy for him with our forward entries. Andrews almost outscored Dixon by himself even with all those inside 50s, clearly our 2nd best player.
The bad;
Mcstay had a few clangers but I can live with his effort down back.
Was really disappointed in mcluggage, his last qtr was ok but he didn't have a lot of it, fumbled didn't use it well & dropped that Mark in the last Qtr that let port get a goal against the momentum.
Harwood had no impact at all and isn't quick enough -hes a depth player only.

Gardiner & Parparone don't work in the same team. Both are average users we need a better kick in cox or witherden to replace one of them probably parparone.

Changes assuming no injuries
Harwood - Keyes
Parparone - witherden
Smith - scache / close / Freeman just any proper foward
Mcluggage - Cox

Best:
- Lester (his poise at times was integral)
- Bastinac (his best game for us I think)
- Hipwood (showed real promise today)
- Smith (I am loving the way is crashing packs. Can't mark but is getting to contests others don't).
- Zorko (AA)
- Mayes (showing he might make it)
- Rich (was pretty good today)

I think Paparone comes out, not because he played poorly, but to give Witherden a go

I disagree about needing a second KPF. I think Smith is doing this well actually. Just Stef not playing great at the moment and therefore people wanna drop Smith.

Back