Thursday, June 9
Richmond v Port Adelaide (MCG) (N)

Friday, June 10
Essendon v Carlton (MCG) (N)

Saturday, June 11
Fremantle v Hawthorn (OS) (T)
Brisbane Lions v St Kilda (G) (N)

Sunday, June 12
North Melbourne v Greater Western Sydney (MRVL)

Monday, June 13
Collingwood v Melbourne (MCG)

Todays game just the latest example of the AFL’s white shorts policy being completely ill-considered. Sure, don’t put GWS in white shorts against North, but why put either team in white at all? There would be zero clash with both teams in full home kit.
Going back to the whole 'maximise contrast' principle I actually like the matchup from today

Brisbane vs St Kilda a bit of a weird match-up. Both teams in dark colours. The white centre panel plus the white shorts on the Saints does create a distinction, but it's not great. Obviously the AFL deemed St Kilda's redback guernsey to be too close to Brisbane's maroon...

St Kilda's clash jumper would be much more effective with a Port-style white number panel with a black number. It's a bit of a tough one against Brisbane/Melbourne/Essendon otherwise (and we didn't wear it against GWS whereas we have worn our mostly-white designs against them in previous years).

Today's match up was perfect with zero clash. Complaining about Melbourne being in white shorts is just nitpicking.
It was good, but it could be better. "Nitpicking" is just what we do on the FJGD.

I think the white shorts would have maximised contrast far better than if Melbourne hypothetically had royal blue shorts. That's just my opinion though but it makes sense in my head that if you are going to have the 'light' kit that you try to maximise that lightness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way Puma changed the G on the Giants jumper still disappoints me two years on. Such a pointless decision that turned an otherwise timeless design into a Kmart guernsey. It looks much worse with white shorts now too.

In no universe was GWS' original home guernsey 'timeless'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back