Discussion Round 15, 2019 - Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a clash, not a contrast. I guess the AFL and/or the Cats must have gone through and figured out which of these match-ups would actually looks somewhat sufficient with the Cats in navy shorts. Or am I giving them too much credit?

Don't think there was a more fitting solution for tonight's game unless Adelaide had a Red/Yellow alternate. If only it were so easy to fix these hard-pressing issues...

I personally have always been of the view that if there's a way for both teams to wear their main/preferred jumper in a match, then do it and complement it with shorts that both work for the clubs' colours and the aesthetic matchup - eg Geelong white shorts Adelaide navy.

However if home clubs are to be allowed to wear their full home kits then I am all for away clubs wearing alternate kits of contrasting colours - eg Geelong's kit is white and navy (main colour of jumper and the colour of shorts) so Adelaide needs to not wear either of those colours. In many cases it relegates main jumpers to home games only (Adelaide already only wears navy in a maximum of like 3 away games a year) which I think is a shame, and I can't imagine Carlton being happy about not being allowed to wear navy away to Geelong, but let's pick a system and apply it universally.

AFL Victoria on the numbers last night instead of the normal AFL logo. Is this a new thing this year that I haven't noticed or was it maybe a mistake? View attachment 700869

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm pretty sure that's what they use on the numbers of the VFL team. So it'd almost certainly be a production error. Nice pick-up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally have always been of the view that if there's a way for both teams to wear their main/preferred jumper in a match, then do it and complement it with shorts that both work for the clubs' colours and the aesthetic matchup - eg Geelong white shorts Adelaide navy.

However if home clubs are to be allowed to wear their full home kits then I am all for away clubs wearing alternate kits of contrasting colours - eg Geelong's kit is white and navy (main colour of jumper and the colour of shorts) so Adelaide needs to not wear either of those colours. In many cases it relegates main jumpers to home games only (Adelaide already only wears navy in a maximum of like 3 away games a year) which I think is a shame, and I can't imagine Carlton being happy about not being allowed to wear navy away to Geelong, but let's pick a system and apply it universally.
So sensible, time for coloured shorts to help this too.

So sensible, time for coloured shorts to help this too.
Well that's part of it. Geelong v Adelaide would require the Crows in a kit that is entirely not navy (or similar) or white (or similar). So red with red shorts or yellow with yellow or hell pink with green.

The rain and mud has turned Carlton’s jumper into a cream-like colour rather than white. I wouldn’t mind seeing what a proper cream clash would be like now.

Literally came in here to post this. I think it'd look great and they could easily play the heritage 'chamois' colour card to sell it.

I really like the look of Adelaide with white shorts depending on what sort of fit the player likes to wear. Josh Jenkins and Reilly O’Brien both have really long and sort of baggy fits, and they like fantastic with white shorts. A super 90s look.
Baggy shorts are a 2000s thing to me. Daisy Thomas, Eddie Betts.

Early 90s is the high and tight sort with the clip button. Late 90s you get this look with the really long jumpers barely higher than the shorts. Real U15s 'just use the old senior jumpers!' vibes:
28142-tlslargeportrait.jpg

The rain and mud has turned Carlton’s jumper into a cream-like colour rather than white. I wouldn’t mind seeing what a proper cream clash would be like now.
I dug this look too.

In a way it really suited Carlton, it just made me think of them at Optus Oval or slugging it out in the rain somewhere.

Been a big advocate for a chamois jumper.

Carlton-1897.gif

I used to like the idea of all white, chamois top, thin navy outline on it and a navy blue CFC.

Now I reckon it'd be bolder, more interesting, and way much 'heritage' looking if it was all chamois (shorts included) with a navy blue monogram and yoke, with a white outline between the colours. It'd be a sick strip.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back