Game Day Round 15, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take a break from watching the Euros to get the gameday thread up.
Fortunately two of the sports I'm watching are at reasonable hours!

tbf I could get used to these Thurs/Fri night games... 10:32am is good watching time

I'm nervous, the Melbourne game shook my confidence big time. It's going to be a long day.

I'm nervous, the Melbourne game shook my confidence big time. It's going to be a long day.

Yep if we had beaten Melbourne, I’d feel more confident about this game but the boys know that they have a big gorilla they have to get off their back.

Will have to keep myself very busy today or else it will be a loooooong day.
I hope the boys put in a better performance than the Prelim but I have no doubt that they will.

In round 2, from only 270 disposals for the game we still managed 51 inside 50 entries so if we can get our hands on the ball a bit more we are definitely in with a shot.
Lions by plenty.
But 1 point will do.

Simply have to kick straight , no wasted chances against this lot. And defence has to tighten up that half a meter.
We need to win this game !

Drizzling rain now a couple of kilometres from the Gabba, forecast says a 60% chance of rain most likely in the afternoon/evening :(, IMO we play pretty well in the rain so shouldn't affect our chances tonight, probably keep a few people from going to the game though.

Llllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnsssssssss!

Really hoping we can win tonight but I think we are against it. Geelong are really going well at present so for us to win we will have to perform for 4 quarters, kick straight and be aggressive. I must say, I do not have the confidence. We need to play the first half like we did against Melbourne for the full game not a half game. Go Lions.

If we lose tonight it will indicate that we are flat track bullies. Apart from Port, who are flat track bullies, we have lost against the top sides.

I worry about our defence as the loss of Gardiner, then Lester and Payne, leaves us with few options if one of their forwards gets off the lease.

Negative Phil I am. Not confident at all.

Go Lions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Facts are:

We are 4th on the ladder.
Our boys have given 9 wins this season with only 4 losses. Thank you boys.
Our list is significantly better than 2020.
Our young guns have gained more experience than any other time in their careers.
This "thorn in the prides side" doesnt really relate to half our team selected tonight so I cant see it having any influence.
Our boys effort tonight will be the same as always..100%
If we play our best, we will win.

GO LIONS.

Really want to beat these campaigners. If it's wet that won't hinder us as we play a good contested game that concentrates on gaining territory and then forcing turnovers. They beat us last year in the final in contested ball so we need to get back to dominating that.

Also think our tall forwards can cause some headaches for them. They like to have guys blocking so another defender can come across and mark or spoil but if we can get the ball in quick they will have their hands full covering Daniher - Hipwood - Mcstay - Cameron and then we have the likes of Bailey - McCarthy and Kiddy Coleman roving the crumbs. McStay has a job to do on stopping Stewart dominating down back.

Andrews on Cameron - if he wants to lead well down the ground then someone can pick him up and Harris can stay back. Adams is a good match up for Hawkins. Starcevich on Rohan. Leaves Ah Chee to take next tallest and Madden to take their quickest small forward.

Expecting big game from Zorks after missing a week.

Oscar also needs to have a big game tonight - not facing a top 5 ruck tonight so he need to win his share of contests and work hard around the ground.

Lions by 3 goals with Hugh to kick 1 goal 3 behinds :)

If we lose tonight it will indicate that we are flat track bullies. Apart from Port, who are flat track bullies, we have lost against the top sides.

I worry about our defence as the loss of Gardiner, then Lester and Payne, leaves us with few options if one of their forwards gets off the lease.

Negative Phil I am. Not confident at all.

Go Lions
I think flat track bullies is a step too far. One has to understand what the actual term stands for. It stands for a team that doesn’t even show up against the better teams and totally does the opposite with teams below. We are not like that. We grinded it out with Geelong last time. Had the better of the first half versus Dees. We didn’t play against the Dogs granted but not sure we could be termed as ‘flat track bullies’.

I think if Zorko is in form along with Neale, Lyons and Clug then we're in with a good chance if we take our chances up forward. Robbo was great tagging Cunnington in the fourth quarter last week but overall our wings haven't been influential. Tuohy dominating Sharp won them the match back in round 2.

If they have Hawkins, Cameron, Ratugolea, Rohan and Dangerfield forward then they can really stretch us. Adams to lock down on Hawkins, Starcevich to Cameron when he's up the ground or in clearances in their forward 50. Try to free up Andrews. Madden to Rohan (will be a hugh issue if they're left one on one which is probably what they'll try to do). Wouldn't surprise me to see Rich, Birchall or Ah Chee having to cover on Rohan or Dangerfield at times.

I think if Zorko is in form along with Neale, Lyons and Clug then we're in with a good chance if we take our chances up forward. Robbo was great tagging Cunnington in the fourth quarter last week but overall our wings haven't been influential. Tuohy dominating Sharp won them the match back in round 2.

If they have Hawkins, Cameron, Ratugolea, Rohan and Dangerfield forward then they can really stretch us. Adams to lock down on Hawkins, Starcevich to Cameron when he's up the ground or in clearances in their forward 50. Try to free up Andrews. Madden to Rohan (will be a hugh issue if they're left one on one which is probably what they'll try to do). Wouldn't surprise me to see Rich, Birchall or Ah Chee having to cover on Rohan or Dangerfield at times.

Oh, and stop Hawkins at throw ins.

Big O going off injuredin Rd 2 cost us, it was easily the best game in the ruck he'd played all year. Has to control that area because Blicavs and Ratugolea will be far more athletic than him around the ground.

Zorko back is huge. Hell the 2 weeks off in a row for him might've even been a blessing mid way through the season. A nice rest before a big second half.

Likewise for Neale, he is going to cop the big tag from O'Connor but the run before the bye and the confidence booster against North has to be a good thing.

Pumped for this!

Big O going off injuredin Rd 2 cost us, it was easily the best game in the ruck he'd played all year. Has to control that area because Blicavs and Ratugolea will be far more athletic than him around the ground.

Not sure I agree with this. We did kick 4 goals to 1 in the last and he could barely move before getting subbed off.

Our votes from the last time we played them. Hipwood was dangerous, got a few frees and converted. Zorko was penalised because of ill-discipline but I think was probably our best.

5 Votes - Eric Hipwood (92 votes)
4 Votes - Jarryd Lyons (77 votes)
3 Votes - Zac Bailey (53 votes)
2 Votes - Hugh McCluggage (49 votes)
1 Vote - Dayne Zorko (47 votes)

I think flat track bullies is a step too far. One has to understand what the actual term stands for. It stands for a team that doesn’t even show up against the better teams and totally does the opposite with teams below. We are not like that. We grinded it out with Geelong last time. Had the better of the first half versus Dees. We didn’t play against the Dogs granted but not sure we could be termed as ‘flat track bullies’.
And flat track bullies crush teams on the bottom of the ladder with ease ;)

The Melbourne game has left some scars though - we struggle to find that higher gear that you see Melbourne, Geelong, Tigers go into to take control of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back