Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Saturday, September 5
North Melbourne v Port Adelaide (MS) (N)

Sunday, September 6
St Kilda v Hawthorn (MS)
Geelong v Essendon (G)
Western Bulldogs v West Coast (MS) (N)

Monday, September 7
Melbourne v Fremantle (CS) (N)

Tuesday, September 8
Adelaide v Greater Western Sydney (AO) (T)
Carlton v Sydney (MS) (N)

Wednesday, September 9
Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast (G) (N)

Byes: Collingwood, Richmond

Melbourne will be wearing the Flaming Demon this Saturday against the Giants. The Flaming Demon has been returned.

Now it is over to magpienato and Freight Train to return the Swooping Magpie and the Ochre.

You didn't hear this from me, but we won't be waiting long to see a swooping magpie back on a jumper...

Despite previously announcing that they will be wearing their indigenous Guernsey tonight, the Suns are wearing their clash jumper tonight

Phil Davis has spoken in recent weeks on his podcast how much the Giants love their new Indigenous strip and how the players were campaigning to wear it instead of their clash strip in games where they are required to wear white.

Ahh interesting, thanks for that. Their current clash is so dull and uninspiring, I'm not surprised at all that the players don't like it. Will be interesting to see if they look to install it permanently beyond this year. Its not necessarily a path I'd go down, but I think we will eventually see a team wearing a permanent Indigenous clash jumper.

Despite previously announcing that they will be wearing their indigenous Guernsey tonight, the Suns are wearing their clash jumper tonight

I always thought it was weird they planned to wear it against Brisbane. Its still majority red. Would have been a horrible clash.

Interesting that its ok for Gold Coast to wear blue against Brisbane, but West Coast has to wear their clash.

I always thought it was weird they planned to wear it against Brisbane. Its still majority red. Would have been a horrible clash.

Interesting that its ok for Gold Coast to wear blue against Brisbane, but West Coast has to wear their clash.

I don't think it's a great contrast tonight. Both teams in yellow numbers doesn't help.

I don't think it's a great contrast tonight. Both teams in yellow numbers doesn't help.

I've heard people mention numbers clashing before, and I must admit its not something I've ever really had a problem with outside of both teams having a navy/black back with white numbers. But I've definitely had the same issue as you tonight.

Ahh interesting, thanks for that. Their current clash is so dull and uninspiring, I'm not surprised at all that the players don't like it. Will be interesting to see if they look to install it permanently beyond this year. Its not necessarily a path I'd go down, but I think we will eventually see a team wearing a permanent Indigenous clash jumper.

I think one of the counter arguments to wearing an Indigenous strip as a permanent clash (as mentioned on the same podcast) is you're losing sales to one of your sets of jumpers (no white clash) plus you don't get the sales boom when you unveil it leading up to Sir Doug Nicholls Round as you would have to release it in January-February.

I think the Suns should go full Indigenous for their home and away sets, especially as they seem to be the most-aligned club to the Northern Territory (Darwin, anyway).

Confirmed we will be wearing it vs Collingwood because the AFL said it would be a clash

in response to the blue clash, it’s probably because the choice is red or blue when the eagles are blue or gold

Confirmed we will be wearing it vs Collingwood because the AFL said it would be a clash

in response to the blue clash, it’s probably because the choice is red or blue when the eagles are blue or gold

Oh no doubt, they're definitely choosing the best combination from the available kits for each club. But its just another example (as if we needed any more) of the haphazard policy that the AFL implement. If the AFL feel that West Coast (and Bulldogs/North for that matter) can't wear their blue kits against Brisbane, then Gold Coast should not have a blue clash jumper approved.

said for ages a club should adopt an Indigenous strip as an alternate full-time; far less tokenistic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I absolutely hated the blue jumper for the Suns when they unveiled it, but it’s grown on me a little bit. They need to do a yellow or white version to go with that they have. I also think they should bring back the wave jumper but that’s for another time.

It's subtle but the orange collar and cuffs alone give it much more contrast and is much more identifiable as GWS than the white with charcoal/black/navy details so many other clash jumpers have.

said for ages a club should adopt an Indigenous strip as an alternate full-time; far less tokenistic
but then you lose the unique look for indigenous round (and more importanly for the club, the extra merch they get to sell) so there is a trade-off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back