Autopsy Round 17, 2021: Brisbane v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I said in the post game Pies thread last week that the last quarter against Collingwood was the best thing that could have happened to this group.

The coaches would have had a very clear message to give the players all week. You’ve got two choices: either follow the path from the games against Richmond and the first three quarters against the Pies, or go back to our bad ways like we did in the last quarter against the Pies and keep on getting the s**t kicked out of us.

We chose the right path and beat the form team in the comp in their home state. What a ******* night!

And can we please now finally stop saying our wins against Richmond and the Pies were down to our poor opposition? Our wins since the bye have been down to a new style of uncompromising footy that stifles oppositions and stops them scoring.

It won’t matter who we play if we keep on with this style of footy. It’s even more exciting than last year because this style can take us all the way.

It won’t matter who we play if we keep on with this style of footy. It’s even more exciting than last year because this style can take us all the way.

Yeah, I guess that's been the point all year, just that it took a while to click. It's certainly a style that doesn't need to change in finals - got to get there first though.

Some of the players that started really poorly must have come home strong. Seb Ross with 24 possessions, Membrey 17 possessions, 2.1 and our second highest AF score and dropped back late in quarters to do some mapping up and Billings looked uninvolved early, ended with 24 and 1.1 and an AF score of 100 equal to Dunny.

Byrnes & Connolly remind me of a young Aussie Jones & Matty Lappin. They've got a bit of zip both of them and I did mention Byrnes was the best at the club with his ball use by hand during pre-season...he has shown that especially tonight, some of the handoffs were incredible. Two great young kids making an impact.

Highmore unbelievable too, 9 intercept marks, he and Wilkie completely dominant down back.

I reckon this is better than our finals win last year. Brisbane are a quality side and we held our nerve for 3 quarters and blew them off the park in the last. What a win.
I remember watching us get smashed by brissy a couple of years back, thinking we're way off the pace of them. Great win tonight vs another young, fast and exciting team.

Best win of the year. Awesome stuff.
It'll be hard to see how Higgins can get back in next week. As much as I love him, I don't like dropping blokes after a good win like that.
He could come in for Butler at the moment, i love Butts with all of my RWB heart, but the man could do with building some confidence in the reserves

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as Steele did, there's no way he was BOG. This bloke set it up in the first half, made the opposition worry about him and that freed up the space for other players to shine and still carried on winning the ball.

Brilliant effort by Dunstan

View attachment 1174797

Agreed but he wasn't a lot to be seen when the game was there to be won in the second half.

Tommy Highmore speaks well! And what a game, what a great recruit

Oozes leadership group. Will be a spokesman for the club for a long time. As polished in front of the camera as he is on the field.

Seriously though just his kicking game holding him back now. As soon as he can start hitting medium to long targets he will become a superstar.

I said in the post game Pies thread last week that the last quarter against Collingwood was the best thing that could have happened to this group.

The coaches would have had a very clear message to give the players all week. You’ve got two choices: either follow the path from the games against Richmond and the first three quarters against the Pies, or go back to our bad ways like we did in the last quarter against the Pies and keep on getting the sh*t kicked out of us.

We chose the right path and beat the form team in the comp in their home state. What a ******* night!

And can we please now finally stop saying our wins against Richmond and the Pies were down to our poor opposition? Our wins since the bye have been down to a new style of uncompromising footy that stifles oppositions and stops them scoring.

Yeah I think I said something along the lines of it being good to get the lesson and to get the win too. Honestly these last few weeks have just been great for us to show that we have the right blokes there. It’s taken us a long time to click this season but it’s so good to be doing it at the right end of the season.

He's literally our Cyril. Stats sheets at a glance never looks impressive. But he manages to impact the game so often. Whether a big mark a big tackle or a big goal. And he managed all 3 tonight.

Not to say he's close to Cyril but similar in impact vs possessions.

If Cyril was a hungry tiger and you were a defender in a Lady Gaga meat-suit.

Finally got some closure. That 2 point loss in 2020 sat badly with me.

There are so many positives which could be discussed after tonight, but I’d like to throw forward 3 names.

- Ryan Byrnes (2 goals, 15 disp.)
- Leo Connolly (first goal in AFL)
- Tom Highmore (match high 6 intercept marks)

Give it up for these young and late draftees - they’re the future.

You bloody bewty!
Ryan Byrnes for rising star nomination maybe???

What a great win for the club. Had emotionally checked out for weeks and was neither here nor there after recent wins as questionable opposition form or fadeouts have left me thinking we are still not right. Then tonight they show the form we were hoping for this season.

Lions bought it and so did we and we were simply the better team. Umpires did not help us yet it made no difference. Everyone stood up, no passengers. Structure looks strong. Captain Jack is smiling and dominating. King improving, improving...

Finals are still a real live chance even though the run home is extreme.

Will sleep happy.

Finally, Thomas "Stephen May" Highmore. Take a farkn bow! Superb game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back