Review Round 17 vs Adelaide

Dew can say how disappointed all he wants, but the players are the ones not doing what they need to do. There needs to be some passion. They gotta be the hunter, rather than being hunted. We call Levi Greenwood the Pig, because he has his nose in everything; that's what these players need to do. get involved, dig in and not stop til they can't fight no more.

And its not like the last 2 weeks. Last time pies crows and port. The losses were big, not as big though. But something has changed, and they need to go back to the way they were playing in the first 10 weeks. Hopefully Bowes can be back soon. There is something lacking in that midfield.

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Yikes, I picked a good week to forget setting an alarm to wake up for this one.

Thanks to everyone for reporting that Crows troll and (for the most part) not interacting with him, Apologies for not getting to it sooner but the lack of bite most likely got him to give up. Kudos.

Opposition Supporters - You're more then welcome to come over and post in our match threads, We just ask that you don't troll and keep aware that tensions run high with our current state of affairs so any posts that appear condescending are gonna be slammed so please keep that in mind when you post and everything will be hunky dory.

Look. I get that everyone's going to be fusterated, That's reasonable - Let's just remember that we've been supporting this club for just as long as you lot (In the case of SUNS, Far longer) and we keep coming in here every day to keep a lid on things.

Surely no one can suggest that it's a lack of effort from the team, I look at this team currently and I see a crippled team that's gassed from having no quality bodies to replace them. Who's fault is that? The universes maybe?

We're a rebuilding club, We literally don't have the option of putting anyone else out there at this stage. The season has been lost for a while now, We're in the process of figuring out where we need to be next year in terms of players. It is what it is.

Crows got smashed by Port last week and came out to make an example of us and they did that through just having better cattle, They're in the top 8 for a season for crying out loud. Let's not act like this wasn't going to happen.

People expect us to be like Brisbane, We aren't quite there yet but things are looking up. If we were that much of a shambles; Rankine wouldn't have extended before he's played a lick of senior footy. Let's keep things in perspective.

I appreciate the need to vent but please keep it constructive, It's tiring to come in here and get treated to a steaming heap of negativity.

If I wanted that, I'd read the comments that nuffies post on the clubs Facebook updates.

Keep in mind. We wernt supposed to win a game all year, We were spoiled with 3... And we've got Pick 1 just about sealed up (Thanks Carlton) it's not all doom and gloom.

Cheers folks 👍

Last edited:

GenYBlue

Seeking #17
May 31, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Not the response we were all hoping for.

I'm glad Dew acknowledged that the group is not playing with confidence.

Has been an issue for at least the last month of footy however.

I'll back him in to straighten the ship though.
He was clearly hurting in the presser.

The coaches & players really need to come together, address it and come out firing next week against my other mob.

As I said last week this kind of performance is not sustainable, nor should it be acceptable.

Take pride in your brand of footy, your team mates and your own ability.
If that means playing a little more aggressive and risky then that's what it takes.
If that results in some really shocking mistakes on occasion, so be it.

Just. Crack. In.

What will the Suns stand for?

Build some culture.
Intensity, commitment, attack.
Non-negotiable.

Shine brightly, don't be Coasters.

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Will has had a down night tonight.
Thought he'd been quite good in previous weeks.
7 possessions for a full time mid at 77% TOG
I'll have the midfield frequency stats up on Monday, but I thought this might've been the assumption from fans so I'll debunk it early: Dew played Brodie forward for the entire game - he attended a mere 2 bounces - 1 in the 2nd when you were already 42pts down, the other in the 3rd when you were 81pts down. Even weirder he seemingly had specific instructions to keep position rather than attend stoppages (even if they occurred in his area), as he spent the night running away from them to set up 20-30m further downfield, where he wasn't going to impact the contest.

From those that got midfield time, Lemmens, Rischitelli & Fiorini all attended more bounces than they had possessions, whilst Scheer almost attended twice as many bounces as he had possessions.

Last edited:

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I'll have the midfield frequency stats up on Monday, but I thought this might've been the assumption from fans so I'll debunk it early: Dew played Brodie forward for the entire game - he attended a mere 2 bounces - 1 in the 2nd when you were already 42pts down, the other in the 3rd when you were 81pts down. Even weirder he seemingly had specific instructions to keep position rather than attend stoppages (even if they occurred in his area), as he spent the night running away from them to set up 20-30m further downfield, where he wasn't going to impact the contest.

From those that got midfield time, Scheer, Lemmens, Rischitelli & Fiorini all attended more bounces than they had possessions.

Where do you post these usually.
You’re right I just assumed Brodie was midfield because he hasn’t really shown the capacity to play elsewhere so far.
Dropping an uncontested mark 40m out on a slight angle didn’t help his night. A goal would have been a reasonable.
Did notice lemmens in the middle a bit. I guess dew was wanting someone with a bit of intensity in there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm not his biggest fan but Touk tried his guts out all night
I think he's starting to get his match fitness back at last
Overated and gets a pass most weeks for his team standards and loyalty. These things don't win matches and he doesn't have the class or ability. Would struggle to get a spot in most other teams. He'd be trade bait if we could find someone to take him.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Overated and gets a pass most weeks for his team standards and loyalty. These things don't win matches and he doesn't have the class or ability. Would struggle to get a spot in most other teams. He'd be trade bait if we could find someone to take him.

He is the Matt Crouch who gets 20-25 possessions rather than 30-35 possessions.
I thought he tried hard though.

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Where do you post these usually.
You’re right I just assumed Brodie was midfield because he hasn’t really shown the capacity to play elsewhere so far.
Dropping an uncontested mark 40m out on a slight angle didn’t help his night. A goal would have been a reasonable.
Did notice lemmens in the middle a bit. I guess dew was wanting someone with a bit of intensity in there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lemmens has intensity? Brodie in the forward line and even Miles went there for a while. Kids in the mid field while the bigger bodies get cold in the forwards. Great coaching.

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
sometimes that's about all he brings. but he certainly brings that.
theres nobody on the team who tries harder or tackles more fierce than Sean Lemmens.
his general skill with the ball on the other hand.....
Granted, he goes in harder than most but given the level of grunt, intensity and plain old aggression the rest of the team shows, he'd stand out like a beacon. We need more like that for sure though.

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Lemmens has intensity? Brodie in the forward line and even Miles went there for a while. Kids in the mid field while the bigger bodies get cold in the forwards. Great coaching.
Terrible coaching. After sleeping on it l'm absolutely furious with him as well the way he fobbed off the PP proposal.
"lts not the answer."
Really who in the press conference suggested it was "The Answer." Then he rolled back and fobbed it off like l can team meeting the boys out of this. We don't have the talent you clown. Well done the VFL will now say even your coach doesn't want a PP.
Nice one Stu well played.
Awesome just opened news feeds and headline.
"Prioty pick won't solve Suns woes : Dew".
Well done DH.

Last edited:

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
He is the Matt Crouch who gets 20-25 possessions rather than 30-35 possessions.
I thought he tried hard though.
Gains no meters creates nothing goes sideways /backwards because his disposal skill is appalling. Great kid and clubman C Grader at best unfortunately.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Gains no meters creates nothing goes sideways /backwards because his disposal skill is appalling. Great kid and clubman C Grader at best unfortunately.
As I mentioned earlier in the year not in our best 22 and has hit his ceiling but brings endeavour and heart and that's in short supply with the team right now

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
No.

Rowell can win the ball and appears to have that extra time to find the right option. But he’s more a handball out to open player, or short kick.

At the U18 National Championships he had almost 2 to 1 handball to kick ratio.

He’s not a burst from congestion player.
Who would you suggest is a burst from congestion player worthy of pick one?

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Happiest guy at the Suns today is 2MP
It's like being asked to give up your seat on MH370 for a later flight
hahaha I watched the NEAFL game too - more like he dodged MH370 but ended up on the titanic

So if you’re Dew do you swing the axe? I can think of 7 changes but if it’s a confidence issue will that help?

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Jack has no mongrel. Watching his NEAFL games it looks like he's checked out.

Watched him last week kick a 15m pass from the back pocket across goals to split 2 suns players and hit his opponent who was standing between them on the chest directly in front. That’s what you call a Clayton special.

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Watched him last week kick a 15m pass from the back pocket across goals to split 2 suns players and hit his opponent who was standing between them on the chest directly in front. That’s what you call a Clayton special.
I was waiting for someone to mention that l couldn't believe what l was seeing. Just beyond belief one of the worst skill decisions l've ever seen. All that was missing was the Benny Hill music.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Terrible coaching. After sleeping on it l'm absolutely furious with him as well the way he fobbed off the PP proposal.
"lts not the answer."
Really who in the press conference suggested it was "The Answer." Then he rolled back and fobbed it off like l can team meeting the boys out of this. We don't have the talent you clown. Well done the VFL will now say even your coach doesn't want a PP.
Nice one Stu well played.
Awesome just opened news feeds and headline.
"Prioty pick won't solve Suns woes : Dew".
Well done DH.
I'm pretty sure it's the answer I would have given under the circumstances
If anyone thinks a priority pick of some roll of the dice 18yo is going to change our fortunes for the better in the next 18 months then I will tell you you're dreaming
Rankine King Lukosius won't impact our W/toL ratio for 2 years if they stay
The hope for Rankine is that he will be a match winner- which makes him A+ but that's years away
But go back and have a look at our draft picks since 2013
It's not pretty
And for a new Club that has consistently failed to never have had a number 1 pick shows how seriously the AFL is about us

2013 Kolodjashnij Leslie Lemmens
2014 Wright Garlett Miller
2015 Ah Chee Fiorini Schoenfeld Willis
2016 Ainsworth Scrimshaw Brodie Bowes Scheer
2017 Powell Ballard Crossley and Nutting(thank God for Charlie because we may as well have not even bothered)
2018 Rankine KIng Lukosius McLennan and Graham

Out of those 24 how many would you take again?
At this stage about 4 of them-and you have to exclude King and Lukosius because fuchnose whether they're just another couple of Caddys or Scrishaws
What do you think Lukosisus was thinking after the match last night?
"Yar!This is great.Why would I ever go back to Adelaide on massive coin!"

I'm with Dew-how would a priority pick help us next year?
It needs way more than that

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Even I can’t put a positive spin on this garbage. All I know is for the first 12 rounds we were great and competitive and that’s not even close to the standard we set.

The guys clearly have it in them to play better than this - no point blaming coaches when they don’t take marks or do stupid kicks/turnovers.

They need to respond.
Yes we were competitive but with such a young immature team we were never going to be able to keep that style of play up for the season. Our team was closer to full strength and the boys were playing off excitement and enthusiasm early on. When the injuries set in and wins dried up this was always going to happen, I just didn’t think it would be as bad as 2011 again.

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm pretty sure it's the answer I would have given under the circumstances
If anyone thinks a priority pick of some roll of the dice 18yo is going to change our fortunes for the better in the next 18 months then I will tell you you're dreaming
Rankine King Lukosius won't impact our W/toL ratio for 2 years if they stay
The hope for Rankine is that he will be a match winner- which makes him A+ but that's years away
But go back and have a look at our draft picks since 2013
It's not pretty
And for a new Club that has consistently failed to never have had a number 1 pick shows how seriously the AFL is about us

2013 Kolodjashnij Leslie Lemmens
2014 Wright Garlett Miller
2015 Ah Chee Fiorini Schoenfeld Willis
2016 Ainsworth Scrimshaw Brodie Bowes Scheer
2017 Powell Ballard Crossley and Nutting(thank God for Charlie because we may as well have not even bothered)
2018 Rankine KIng Lukosius McLennan and Graham

Out of those 24 how many would you take again?
At this stage about 4 of them-and you have to exclude King and Lukosius because fuchnose whether they're just another couple of Caddys or Scrishaws
What do you think Lukosisus was thinking after the match last night?
"Yar!This is great.Why would I ever go back to Adelaide on massive coin!"

I'm with Dew-how would a priority pick help us next year?
It needs way more than that
It was a dumb answer in the circumstances and shows he is lost. Are you suggesting more talent won't help us. No one suggested it would help us immediately he added that all himself. But it's a vital piece of the puzzle.
In a rebuild you are not just concerned about next year. He's just handed the VFL a loaded gun. Very poor. I guarantee you Cochrane ripped into him.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Who would you suggest is a burst from congestion player worthy of pick one?
No eighteen year old kid is going to help what happened last night. Rowell is meant to be one of the better #1 picks in recent memory from what a few scout watchers have told me. Even with him it's not going to fix everything, but it will help.

Back