Preview Round 19 2019 - Hawthorn vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

love the write u[ on neds

"
The market for this match is an absolute disgrace – how are the Lions not dominant favourites?
The Lions of old would have lost last week’s game against North Melbourne, but they showed plenty of character to score a fighting win.
We have won our past three games against Hawthorn and I firmly believe that Chris Fagan has got Alastair Clarkson’s number.
I’d also like to use this opportunity to proclaim my love for Oscar McInerney.
‘The Big O’ has been nothing short of outstanding since he returned from injury and I believe that he was the difference last weekend.
Anybody considering backing the Hawks at this price needs to reconsider their life-choices and the Lions are easily the best bet of the round.
"
Dis-agree. This game will be a real hard challenge. Hawks are playing their best footy of the year and our guys will need to be at their very best to come home with the win.
When finals come, our best advantage will be the 1 week break before the ultimate challenge begins.

Yeah Hodgey really stuck up for him as you'd expect.

We're currently playing Cam on the basis of the player we want him to be and the person he is . Plus he's only 19 and you have to expect mistakes and lapses in consistency.

The question for me is when we have to win games would anyone else be any better at the present time . I don't know the answer to that because we haven't tried it.

Under normal circumstances any rational person would say that he needed a spell in the twos ,but we're 2nd on the ladder ,won our last 5 so you just have to back the coaches that they know what's best . And have the best interests of the team at heart.

He shows glimpses most games . Maybe if he just starts working totally on his defensive skills as in the instance Hodgey spoke about the rest will come.
Would love to see Cam pull off another run down tackle.
Something like that would increase his confidence no doubt to where it should be.
Would settle for 6 goals as well.
Skywalker to RAYNARRRRRRRRRRRR.

Hope to see a bit more polish this week , next step.
Not so much surge footy when we have control of the footy, more controlled kicking to uncontested marking and sneaking into the corridor.
No doubt it will be tight , highly contested early on, but we need to expose teams once we have hands on the footy in space, not just send it long to a pack.

Well that was warm & fuzzy; apart from the use of the term vitriolic attitude. which is quite inaccurate. What valid point or discussion did the Eagles fan have to raise? He said something along the lines of now that you're a successful club (like us) you'll get screwed over by the MRP like we do. What a load of poppycock. He probably thinks Gaff should have got off. He didn't give one example, hardly riveting discussion. If you find it strange that I don't find the kids rubbish insightful or something worthy of discussion then it says a lot about your concept of "interesting, insightful, thought provoking comment".

The FACT of the matter is West Coast have nothing to whinge about apart from injuries & the kid was talking garbage & most likely was looking for a few likes. As I said, each to their own & for those who want to buy in to such rubbish good on them.
You have absolutely no basis to call my points "vitriolic attitude",that's offensive. I even congratulated the kid on joining the "We've beaten Collingwood to win the Flag club". It would be helpful if you would refrain from keyboarding such outrageous falsities & accept people may voice their differing opinions.

Let me refresh your memory with quotes from your response:

"Do you expect us to take you seriously?"

"Troll elsewhere buddy."

That's vitriolic attitude. You're attacking the poster. You're calling him a troll. And now you're making up some kind of twisted justification for your response based off nothing that was in the original post.

I'm too lazy to look up stats , much easier to skim over though other people's hard work. Thanks Rioli magic.
We don’t generate a lot of inside 50’s, neither do Geelong. I’m sure we would like to generate more. We do quite well at restricting other teams entries though, 5th in the league.

Brisbane are actually number one in the league for inside 50’s since the bye rounds, so it will be a challenge for us.

They are averaging 10 more inside 50’s per game, and their forward line has been slightly more efficient than ours.

This will be the game in a sense, we need to restrict their entries. If we let them play as they have been over the last 5-6 weeks they will win the game.

I have a really good feeling about this one.
I think we are going to obliterate them and the AFL world will then see us as a genuine threat to the flag. This game is going to be huge for us and I can't wait.

Admittedly I wasn't great at maths in high school, but even I have difficulty reconciling Campbell Brown's idea that 3 consecutive wins makes the Hawks the form team of the competition.

I know I'm using only one hand here, but 5 > 3 at a minimum...

Admittedly I wasn't great at maths in high school, but even I have difficulty reconciling Campbell Brown's idea that 3 consecutive wins makes the Hawks the form team of the competition.

I've found a lot of the commentary about this game really weird - most of the people tipping the Hawks have been doing so on the argument that we have to slip up and lose sometime. Of course, they've those people have used the same rationale to tip against each game in the last month. You could say the same thing about the Hawks - i.e. after a good month with few narrow results they might be due to slip up.

The Hawks could definitely win but unless they can really shut us down AND dominate clearances/contested possessions I find it hard to believe they keep us under 85 points. They've only scored 85 or higher 6 times this year, and we've only been held under it 5 times (all our losses). We've also had absolutely no trouble moving the ball against them the last two years.

Also, we missed a lot because he quality of shots were a lot lower than they have been in other games this year. We had a lot of quick snaps or long bad angled kick. I believe North had easier shots at goal, and on top of that, also kicked 12.3 overall which is very lucky no matter the shots.

The game was close, but even after the first quarter, we were tied for shots on goal and had more after halftime. I knew we were outplaying them on the field, but they kicked well in front and we sucked. If we had their accuracy, we would have kicked 21.6 or 22.5.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
For comparison from team to team, we took a lot more shots from the pocket:

That's not drastically different to the year though, as we take a lot of shots in general from that pocket:

Charts from https://www.statsinsider.com.au/afl/shot-charting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wallace once wrote a feature article in the Herald Sun "Why the Lions can't win the Flag". It was in 01, 02 or 03. Even though he grew up in the Fitzroy Zone, he's never really given the Lions much credit no matter how well we're travelling.

He surely wouldn't have written that article while he was an active coach, so it must have been 2003.

He did go on to say our threepeat team was the best he's seen.

I said this a number of weeks. We are the second highest scoring side (21 points behind GWS and 1 point above Cats:) ) although half our forwards do not score weekly :)
There are jobs to be done the weeks Charlie gets 4-5. Other players have done their part to open up the forward line, do a block or another 1%
Be nice if everyone fired at once probably not for the team we play against.
Seeing we do not score from just 2-3 players weekly is why we win
9 players kicked 10 goals or more. Hawks have 4.. GWS have 6 and Cats 7. Pies and Eagles have 10 as well.

For no particular reason whatsoever I have a bad feeling about this game. We have seemingly improved faster than I can keep up with; I automatically look for ways we'll manage to stuff up!

I don’t know for a fact but I would suggest Campbell probably wasn’t great either. To his credit though he did punch Steven May on a footy trip.

I said this a number of weeks. We are the second highest scoring side (21 points behind GWS and 1 point above Cats:) ) although half our forwards do not score weekly :)
There are jobs to be done the weeks Charlie gets 4-5. Other players have done their part to open up the forward line, do a block or another 1%
Be nice if everyone fired at once probably not for the team we play against.
Seeing we do not score from just 2-3 players weekly is why we win
9 players kicked 10 goals or more. Hawks have 4.. GWS have 6 and Cats 7. Pies and Eagles have 10 as well.
My concern is that we might be the “second highest scoring side” in the Grand Final or one of the lead up finals.

The fact that our midfield is good for roughly 5 to 8 goals a week is not going to be lost on our opponents. Lyons, McCluggage, Zorko and Robinson have been amazing this year in terms of their scoreboard contribution. If our midfielders gets shut down in terms of kicking goals, we are going to need McStay, Cameron, Hipwood, Christensen and McCarthy to kick a winning score. Given that McStay isn’t a prolific goal kicker at Full Forward and Hipwood has tended to be BOOM or BUST, we really need our smaller forwards to fire every week. Cameron has been AMAZING this year, with Christensen and McCarthy adding additional potency. If McStay can start hitting the scoreboard more regularly and Hipwood can kick at least 2 or 3 a week between his “bags” we will be unstoppable. If not, we are vulnerable.

Surely having a more even spread of goal kickers is far more preferable than relying on a couple of forwards to fire.
Every team of the modern era that's relied on one or two guys to kick the score has failed.

The modern KPF now needs to spend a good amount of his time making sure others have a chance if he can't get it .

Every team of the modern era that's relied on one or two guys to kick the score has failed.

The modern KPF now needs to spend a good amount of his time making sure others have a chance if he can't get it .
This is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back