Review Round 2, 2019 - North Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Even Purple has had to give us praise (no doubt it is causing him jawache), albeit with a jab about us 'starting to Walk the Walk': https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-31/barrett-dons-a-mess-dees-misfiring-wholl-stand-up

Fagan's men start to walk the walk
The Lions' 2019 surge is real. Whether it takes the club to the finals, who knows? Regardless, it's going to be an exciting journey.

It was the reigning premiers last week, and North Melbourne on Sunday. Last year, Brisbane would've lost both games narrowly and gallantly.

The Lions are still young and developing, but there's enough genuine star power and maturity in Charlie Cameron, Harris Andrews, Lachie Neale and Luke Hodge to make every opponent this year worried about the possibilities.
https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1112215057469890560

So - they're all getting on the wagon, hey?

Well......

I'll be posting the Port match thread tomorrow.

BUT.....

Having done some preliminary research today and tonight, I can say this.....

THE MIGHTY LIONS WILL BE 3 - 0 THIS TIME NEXT WEEK :D

WHERE WILL YOUR WAGONS BE THEN, O MEDIA SCRIBES????????

I'd say he was even better this week than last week. He stood up in big moments when we were under the pump. Bargain pickup.

I thought he was in for a huge afternoon early when his first three touches were inside fifty with his opponents not within 10 meters of him at any point. He must be slippery.

I think the forward line might be the last aspect of our game to click into place and I also don’t think that is entirely unusual for a team at our stage of development. The back half and midfield have been the major areas of focus in Fagan’s first few years and I would suspect that this year and next there will be a much greater focus on what happens when the ball is forward.

I feel our forward pressure is better this year and our fast entries have been reasonable. When the ball comes in a little slower is when we seem to have more problems. The best teams do a great job at knowing who goes where when the ball cones in a bit slower.

Ultimately I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hipwood playing higher up the ground where he is most likely to either get the ball out in front of him or be able to turn his opponent in a race for the ball, a race he will win more often than not. Oscar is the best pack mark when the ball is landing on their heads, McStay is better when he can crash a pack from behind. We just need to play the isolation game on each of their opponents. Awareness of each other’s space is what the talls really need to develop. It is a very subtle thing for forward lines to build and I think it takes time and a lot of tweaking to get right.

This year Charlie, Lincoln and Rayner are a big element of extra danger but I think the talls will just take longer to get right.

Charlie Cameron was just amazing, sublime skills, does amazing things weekly. Reliable set shot too, does like everything right, kid was born to do this.

He actually reminds me of Jonathan Thurston who I like to call “The Rubberman”. Despite his size Charlie punches well above his weight class, gets into spots where his body is thrown around like a ragdoll and crunched by bigger blokes - gets up like nothing happened, tough.

Expected win made harder by ill discipline. Silly frees and 50s as well as whinging at umps when standing the mark which gave North some advantage to play on quickly. If we are winning the flag this year we need to become way more disciplined.

Love that you can say this and no one bats an eyelid.
We really are believing in our team and

Charlie Cameron was just amazing, sublime skills, does amazing things weekly. Reliable set shot too, does like everything right, kid was born to do this.

He actually reminds me of Jonathan Thurston who I like to call “The Rubberman”. Despite his size Charlie punches well above his weight class, gets into spots where his body is thrown around like a ragdoll and crunched by bigger blokes - gets up like nothing happened, tough.

He reminds me of Eddie Betts. Anyone would think they played on the same team for years...
(faster but less flukey with shots)

Originally his shots at goal were terrible but sine he has been here he has come good.

I'm no expert, but it seems like another game reflecting the classic era of the Lions. For most of the game North Melbourne were on top, but then the Lions surged at the very end to turn a possible defeat into a 20-point win.

The difference between this game and last week's was that we surged earlier in the game and outplayed West Coast over a long period. This game was topsy-turvy but we had a little more in the final few minutes to finish the game off - and score 100+ points for the 2nd time in the opening 2 games! Did we do that in 2010 too?

I wish to salute Brisbane's never-say-die spirit but I think that 'surge' amounts to their fitness - Brisbane trains in humid conditions traditionally and so with a relatively young side Brisbane will last the distance and perhaps steal wins throughout the season against more skilled sides - just so long as we don't let them overwhelm us in the first half (and particularly the first quarter).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the forward line might be the last aspect of our game to click into place and I also don’t think that is entirely unusual for a team at our stage of development. The back half and midfield have been the major areas of focus in Fagan’s first few years and I would suspect that this year and next there will be a much greater focus on what happens when the ball is forward.

I feel our forward pressure is better this year and our fast entries have been reasonable. When the ball comes in a little slower is when we seem to have more problems. The best teams do a great job at knowing who goes where when the ball cones in a bit slower.

Ultimately I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hipwood playing higher up the ground where he is most likely to either get the ball out in front of him or be able to turn his opponent in a race for the ball, a race he will win more often than not. Oscar is the best pack mark when the ball is landing on their heads, McStay is better when he can crash a pack from behind. We just need to play the isolation game on each of their opponents. Awareness of each other’s space is what the talls really need to develop. It is a very subtle thing for forward lines to build and I think it takes time and a lot of tweaking to get right.

This year Charlie, Lincoln and Rayner are a big element of extra danger but I think the talls will just take longer to get right.

That Schache guy at Bulldogs goes alright.
Maybe we could ask for a trade?

Old Fitzroy fans were worth four goals today. Made about twice as much noise as the Roos supporters.
I LOVE hearing that - we were noisy at the Gabba last week too ;) It looked like a good number of Lions supporters were at the ground today although we didn't see the crowd figure. Teddy and I picked up some of the noise on the TV and were very impressed :thumbsu:
We're coming down for R12 this year against Carlton and I hope we raise the roof. GO LIONS!!!

3 goals from our rucks is exceptional. Stef is taking the footy away with centre clearence ( thanks to rule change ) .. clever .. and the Big O. He turned the game no doubt. Great atmosphere today and there were glimpses of scintillating team footy which really did surprise me. Zorks and Clugga can generate enormous zip. Yeah - the usual shanks, turnovers and long dumps into nowhere but when it clicked .. and Charlie is one-out. Wow.

Thinking of Gary S. - he would have loved that attack on the footy. RIP

I enjoy every time that the ball goes near Charlie Cameron. So skilled and creative, a true pleasure to watch.

This team could be something special.

He roasted Berry taking a shot for goal from the boundary with 'Bezz.. pass the ******* ball mate"... Then absolutley roasted Basti with 'what the **** are doing Mate!" when he went long down the wing instead of a switch and absolutley roasted Harris at one stage. Leadership is good, but his language and approach was pretty full on today, wont win him friends in the long run.
Hope Witho doesn't turn into a Goddard where his team mates can't stand him.

What an ungracious sulk Brad Scott is. Apart from reluctantly praising Neale for his last quarter, he basically spent the entire press conference lamenting how much better they were for "most of the game'. Said stats (most of which we won) are meaningless. While saying he was an advocate for the new 666 rule he basically blamed it for their loss because it makes centre square clearances so influential in the outcome (i.e.we killed them in that area and scored goals from it). Guess what Brad, that's a stat right there! Suck on it.
We had 23 more inside 50s which is alot for a team being out played Bradddddd.

I'm actually really worried about how many likes your post got...are you guys REALLY that starved for entertainment?!

I think the likes were not so much for the chance of getting any actual details but a combined acknowledgement of a good cheeky post and folks being happy you are around again.

As for the date I am sure it went fine right up to the point you found out that he hates cats, is a lifelong Port surporter, and thinks that Patfull (which he spells with.only one 'l') was an overated Spud ... :cool:

As for the date I am sure it went fine right up to the point you found out that he hates cats, is a lifelong Port surporter, and thinks that Patfull (which he spells with.only one 'l') was an overated Spud ... :cool:

Well one out of three isn't bad.

Still remember all the Norf supporters laughing at an 18 year old Cam Rayner last year for playing on.

Not so smug and arrogant now eh? Time to end the Norf experiment and send them down to Tasmania. Irrelevant low energy mob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Schache guy at Bulldogs goes alright.
Maybe we could ask for a trade?
No he is still not very good. Yeah he kicked 3?, but one was an off the ball charity free right in front and he still squibs nearly every contest.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back