Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Hawks go to hell

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m scared for next week. Cats are going to absolutely smash us. We’re a complete shambles. Although we’re still a young developing side, we have so far gone backwards to the footy we played late last year.

Embarrassing performance..
Coaching was deplorable from the start of the game.
Midfield is still so poorly set up that we allow opposition to just waltz around as they please.
Sam will most likely come out with the same dribble about first hands to ball and s**t, but it's pretty plain to see that we are not in the same league as other Midfields

Horrendous from top to bottom.

Clueless coaching and a non-existent gameplan.

How could we look that listless when both May and Lever were missing for so long?

A scary thought is that Chol and Ginnivan have been our most dangerous players - they haven't spent enough time having that coached out of them.

OUT:
  • Reeves
  • Maginess
  • Newcombe (only half joking) and Nash

Last edited:
Have we restarted our rebuild? Because only the imports this season really did well. Weddle was OK. Almost everyone else seemed to go back toi the start.

Is it just me or did I take a time machine back to 2004?

Kicking backwards every second kick, stop-start footy. Put aside my hawthorn bias, that was absolute torture to watch.

I’m generally an optimist, but if we play like this against the cats then I’ll be deeply concerned about our tactics and footy smarts.

Game was over in the first quarter when we had absolutely no idea how to respond to Melbourne’s all out defence and counter. Our nothing possessions made a mockery of the stats board.

We need a back to basics for this football club. Get the simple things down pat.

Tackling is piss poor just put an arm out
Kicking to 2vs1 on a constant basis
Handballing to players under pressure
Goal kicking
Stop playing atheletes
Make some big name drops. Mitch lewis drop. Frost drop. Ward drop. Reeves drop. Bruest drop.

Where are the hawks of the second part of last season? Has mitchell lost the plot?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to put the lads on notice!

To Boxhill Reeves, Nash, Maginness and Ward do not pass the office, do not collect your pay for today’s game!

I liked the effort of D’Ambrosio, Ginnivan, Chol, Watson, Sicily.

According to super coach Bruest is injured.

Hopefully Meek, Ramsden, Phillip, Mitchell have good games for Boxhill.

Pressure rating less then 100 in that 4th qtr, didnt know it dropped that low.

Just a soft game

Josh Ward looks like James Aishe 2.0

Finn isn't an AFL footballer

Bring in Hustwaite ffs

I think they kicked 14 goals from stoppage / centre bounce.

The midfield group is NOT working and something must change…

Definitely missing Day, need Hustwaite in the team next week, and need substantial improvement overall.

Can't win clearances and when we do we give it straight back. Sloppy skills.

And another head scratcher with choice of medical sub.

Changes for next week..
Out: Reeves, Nash,
In: Meek, Huss

Newc gets one more week only because there's no-one else to come in for him.

Firstly: we were always going to get smashed today. As I’ve said during the week, Melbourne’s named side is probably best in the league this week/right now - they are severely underrated for some reason.

Secondly: Gunston is not a sub - awful decision. He would’ve been very handy as a forward option early in the game. He can be subbed off if necessary ideally.

Thirdly: obviously, apart from Worpel our midfield is inept.

Fourthly : no May or Lever for half a game and we could only manage 5 goals.

I said last week that it looks to me that the coaches have no idea what our best combination on each line looks like. Looking very much like an experimental season.

- never going well if our best players in Newcombe and Lewis can’t get near the football for the second week in a row.

- Amon needs to play where he can have an impact.

- we need to free up Sicily, Philips must come in.

*** until we have genuine better players who can push the following out of the side we are going nowhere: Frost; Nash; Maginness; Impey; Ambrosio; Reeves; Gunston; Chol. I let Ward off the hook as he is young. Ambrosio is young but couldn’t get a game at Essendon - his kicking is meant to be his strength and he turned it over so many times today when we needed that precision kick - not good enough.

Last edited:
Outclassed individually and outclassed as a formation. The road ahead is longer than ever for our March towards being a finals side.
This is what hurts the most. We've definitely regressed.

I
Confused Looking For GIF by Looney Tunes
was looking for a Hawthorn supporters’ forum?

Smashed in contested ball and tackles.

Bruise free from our midfield today.

Amon s**t himself deep in defense in the first quarter. Gave up three goals almost directly.

I'm not sure if Sam has a humiliation kink but he's doing no favours to Amon. Making him look like Bramble out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back