Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Hawks go to hell

Remove this Banner Ad

Reeves needs a kick up the ass, has the potential to be so much better

Does he though? 6th year in the comp and now turning 26 this year. So far, he has the odd good hitout game, but literally offers nothing around the ground. His career average for marks is 1 and 0 for contested marks. That is not AFL standard. If he wants to be a player, then he better work on more than just ruckwork.

Frustrating day against a strong side with something to prove in 2024.

Players we have high expectations of just not giving us much right now.

We are not strong in the contest at the moment. We struggling to put opposition under pressure.

Some of our skills terrible and not up to snuff.

Dangerfield out next week. Go hawks - make my Easter holiday.

How did the midfield group go backwards compared to being one of the best last year? Let Nash do the tagging and bring HH instead of Fin. Confidence seems to be out sorts.
We weren’t one of the best midfields last year. We were middling at best.

It was simply people on this board drinking the Kook Aid and presuming we would naturally take another step forward.

We won some games in the last couple of months against sides who didn’t really need or bothered to turn up.

As it stands we are still a fair way off the pace and will need a good run with injury and improved form to become relevant.

Last edited:

No we weren't, being competitive in general play means nothing when you are completely impotent going inside 50.

Our finishing touch was terrible I agree. We had enough momentum throughout the game to apply some damage to the scoreboard but we failed.

We had plenty of chances to generate those chances and that's a start I guess.

too many players the same...height same weight same skills same efforts same. Zero X Factor in them. Our new recruits show that they do have a bit of flair. Amon not a half back flankers bootlace. we recruited him as a wingman...play him there ffs! as many have said, what is our game plan? very disappointing start to the year! 5.8 in a whole game of footy...might win a little league game but not much else

What's wrong with Newcombe?? Wasn't tagged. That's effort and it's on him.

Maybe he's carrying something. He was good in the praccy matches.

Seems to have lost a yard of pace and the strength to break through tackles. Just not generating any power in the legs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smashed in contested ball and tackles.

Bruise free from our midfield today.

Amon s**t himself deep in defense in the first quarter. Gave up three goals almost directly.

I'm not sure if Sam has a humiliation kink but he's doing no favours to Amon. Making him look like Bramble out there.
Humiliation kink. Ha.

It’s utterly amazing to me that posters can spend the days leading up to the game declaring that Gawn will have his way with Reeves and that Gawn will smash us, and then when he doesn’t the first person people want to see dropped, of all the players that failed today, is Gawn’s opponent.

Seriously enough of Reeves as starting ruckman, it’s becoming embarrassing. Meek must come in for him next week. McKenzie the only shining light in the midfield. Nash and Newcombe were poor, Worpel tried hard as usual but was generally ineffective

Ward was poor - have to agree with others that he is starting to look like a very vanilla. McDonald was just ok. Ginnivan and Chol were good. Gunston played like he was 40 years old. Have no idea why we brought him back

Watson impressed me today. Showed plenty and I’m starting to believe. Finally Mitchell as coach is starting to worry me - does he know what he’s doing?
Good post and agree with all that.

The Wiz looked impressive at times

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Does he though? 6th year in the comp and now turning 26 this year. So far, he has the odd good hitout game, but literally offers nothing around the ground. His career average for marks is 1 and 0 for contested marks. That is not AFL standard. If he wants to be a player, then he better work on more than just ruckwork.
Feel like he does but there’s definite alarm bells- would’ve thought he’d be doing more by now…

Alot of disconnected today and it really showed in D'Ambrosio and Mackenzies game. They are hardly alone in this respect but 2 I noticed. Maybe because I respect their disposal but today it seemed they were very reactive and unsure, could be they are young and playing a new system, I'm unsure, but it stood out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back