Game Day Round 2 - Greater Western Sydney Giants v The Greatest West-of-Sydney giants | Sat Mar 30, 2019 5.10PM AWST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside Bull

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
Feb 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
So here we are after a disappointing loss in Round 1. Talk of the club folding is at all-time high levels with the bad (or lack of) news regarding little Willie now moving conversations into the territory of unfolding just so we can fold it again, then scrunch it into a ball to have a shot from 50m. But here I am with the radically optimistic suggestion of bringing out the iron and removing any sign of a crease in the fabric of our glorious club. We will all feel a lot better in the moments leading up to this game as we witness the spectacle of:

Flag Unveiling

1538230267548_GD21RRJ08.1-1.jpg
Remember this?

We are finally back at our brand new stadium, a big one, and we are going to put a big flag up there. Perhaps this is the last time for a few months we can sit back as reigning premiers to reflect and think about how good it feels. Perhaps some feelings from that win will never end. But unfurling that glorious flag in front of us fans who may not have seen the team at a ground since the premiership was secured will be just another choice memory to store away for a rainy day should that ever come. Let us bask in the glory again. Let us celebrate something that cannot be taken away. Let us steel ourselves for another season and another flag

Flog Unveiling

Of course GWS might also bring their comparatively less-loved item to show to us as well:

539735-tlslargeportrait.jpg

Now, about the actual game…

Possible WC Team
Sheppard Barrass Hurn
Jetta McGovern Duggan
Hutchings Sheed Masten
Petrucelle/Cripps? Kennedy Venables
Allen Darling Ryan

Vardy Yeo Shuey

Redden Waterman Hickey Cole

Possible GWS team
Shaw Davis Kennedy
Williams Taylor Haynes
Whitfield Coniglio Kelly
Greene Cameron Deledio
De Boer Himmelberg Daniels

Simpson Taranto Hopper

Tomlinson Keeffe Lloyd Reid

Form:

It is hard to imagine more contrasting results coming out of round one. GWS belted fellow top-4 fancies Essendon to the tune of 74 points, much to my personal enjoyment. We were belted by a team who finished 15th last year. I am confident, however, that this is more of a reflection on our respective opponents and a bit of rustiness on our part. With us back at home we can truly get the season started.

Match-ups:

The Premiership Midfield v The Concession Midfield:
GWS have always had a good midfield with young first round talent seemingly oozing out everywhere you look. Yes they have lost quality players like Shiel, Adams and Treloar over the years but that has only given them access to further guns like Taranto, Hopper and some who probably won’t play but are shaping up to be guns (Caldwell, Bonar). But is it a midfield of champions versus a champion midfield? We know what our group is like, how they play and how they won a flag together. Despite Kelly looking like to return (yes, he is an absolute jet but will he be at 100%?) I will put on an optimistic face and say we can at least break even here which should be enough to give our now Kennedy-inclusive forward line the opportunity to show their quality while our boys down back do what they did so well last year.

"Varkey" v Dawson:
If we assume Hickey plays and gets a chance for personal redemption after a disappointing performance last week then the battle of each team’s second-choice ruck setups might just be critical in deciding this game. The new 6-6-6 rule seems to make centre clearances more important than ever and that all starts in the ruck. Beyond that we also need more contribution around the ground from the WC big boys. Dawson Simpson might be a hard task in ruck contests with his 210cm frame but he is not young and not agile. If he can be worn down I think we have a chance to get an advantage here.

Sheppard v Greene:
Now rumours are (stemming from a Leon Cameron press conference) that the aforementioned Greene may sit out of this trip due to the short break and long travel as he attempts to get his body right. However, if he does play he will be a critical player to stop. Of the last 5 games we have played against GWS he has played in their 3 wins kicking 8 goals total and accumulating plenty of ball in the forward half. We have won the two games he missed. Who better to quell his influence than everybody’s favourite good looking rooster of the team, Brad Sheppard. This can be the game where he makes a big statement in the quest for a AA jumper and finally some real recognition

Cognilio v Hutchings?:
I am not sure whether this is the match-up the coaches will choose for Hutch. However if he does it is a critical role for our tagger. Cognilio has emerged as an absolute elite midfielder in the last year or so and can be a real weapon with his skills, 2-way running and footy smarts. Now the critical role for Hutchings of course is as our recruitment team’s ambassador. Hutchings knows as well as anyone what it is like to move back to one’s home state of WA to taste premiership success. Oh and it would be nice to shut Cogs down for this game, if only to give him plenty of time to think.

Simmo v (Leon) Cameron:
Another battle between these two former Hawthorn assistant coaches. I personally have my questions about Cameron’s lack of results given the quality that has been at his disposal since he took the reins and it will be a important year for him. Simmo answered his critics in emphatic style last year. That’s about all I have to say here.

Sheed v anyone who could steal 3 votes off him:
#4 Dom Sheed (2).jpg
"So Brownlow, how about me and you meet up one night in September. Can you wait that long?"

6 months after a ripping finals series capped off by THAT goal Dom has continued to truly emerge as a gun midfielder able to accumulate big numbers and distribute with good skills. It is only a matter of time before Dom has this year’s Brownlow wrapped up so let’s keep this party rolling.

McGovern v The Whopper Goal:
I know this is the one I will be looking for. Our boy Gov has been looking lean and hungry early this year which coincides with a bit of a sub-par game last week. I say let him rip some barrels running off the halfback line to earn himself (and us) a good old feed.

gov phone .png
"Delivery to Optus Stadium Victoria Park Dr, Burswood WA 6100 please. I'll meet you around the back"

*PS I assume this deal is actually still happening, right?

Prediction: WC by 4 Oscar Allen Goals

PS Apologies for the wait, I missed the notifications that I had been assigned this match as a substitution

Last edited:
Official Teams:
Screenshot_20190329-141727_Firefox.jpg
Some big news here. We get our bearded legend back in the forward line while Josh Smith will make his club debut. Big news too for GWS with no Kelly or Greene in this match (rendering half of my preview obsolete already) but they do regain Haynes who is no slouch

I do apologise for not including a note on the milestones in this match in the preview proper. Congrats to our premiership captain Shannon Hurn for his 250th, long may he continue to age like a fine wine (300 anyone?). Masten's 200th is also major landmark in his career. While he may be an oft-maligned player nobody can deny that 200 games is quite the achievement and props to him for being a fixture in our midfield for the last 10 years, continually running himself into the ground for the team.

(Pictured below: board members melting over Masten's 200th selection)
XF7z4W3ZGh-12.png

Last edited:

So here we after a disappointing loss in Round 1. Talk of the club folding is at all-time high levels with the bad (or lack of) news regarding little Willie now moving conversations into the territory of unfolding just so we can fold it again, then scrunch it into a ball to have a shot from 50m. But here I am with the radically optimistic suggestion of bringing out the iron and removing any sign of a crease in the fabric of our glorious club. We will all feel a lot better in the moments leading up to this game as we witness the spectacle of:

Flag Unveiling

View attachment 643145
Remember this?

We are finally back at our brand new stadium, a big one, and we are going to put a big flag up there. Perhaps this is the last time for a few months we can sit back as reigning premiers to reflect and think about how good it feels. Perhaps some feelings from that win will never end. But unfurling that glorious flag in front of us fans who may not have seen the team at a ground since the premiership was secured will be just another choice memory to store away for a rainy day should that ever come. Let us bask in the glory again. Let us celebrate something that cannot be taken away. Let us steel ourselves for another season and another flag

Flog Unveiling

Of course GWS might also bring their comparatively less-loved item to show to us as well:

View attachment 643146

Now, about the actual game…

Possible WC Team
Sheppard Barrass Hurn
Jetta McGovern Duggan
Hutchings Sheed Masten
Petrucelle/Cripps? Kennedy Venables
Allen Darling Ryan

Vardy Yeo Shuey

Redden Waterman Hickey Cole

Possible GWS team
Shaw Davis Kennedy
Williams Taylor Haynes
Whitfield Coniglio Kelly
Greene Cameron Deledio
De Boer Himmelberg Daniels

Simpson Taranto Hopper

Tomlinson Keeffe Lloyd Reid

Form:

It is hard to imagine more contrasting results coming out of round one. GWS belted fellow top-4 fancies Essendon to the tune of 74 points, much to my personal enjoyment. We were belted by a team who finished 15th last year. I am confident, however, that this is more of a reflection on our respective opponents and a bit of rustiness on our part. With us back at home we can truly get the season started.

Match-ups:

The Premiership Midfield v The Concession Midfield:
GWS have always had a good midfield with young first round talent seemingly oozing out everywhere you look. Yes they have lost quality players like Shiel, Adams and Treloar over the years but that has only given them access to further guns like Taranto, Hopper and some who probably won’t play but are shaping up to be guns (Caldwell, Bonar). But is it a midfield of champions versus a champion midfield? We know what our group is like, how they play and how they won a flag together. Despite Kelly looking like to return (yes, he is an absolute jet but will he be at 100%?) I will put on an optimistic face and say we can at least break even here which should be enough to give our now Kennedy-inclusive forward line the opportunity to show their quality while our boys down back do what they did so well last year.

"Varkey" v Dawson:
If we assume Hickey plays and gets a chance for personal redemption after a disappointing performance last week then the battle of each team’s second-choice ruck setups might just be critical in deciding this game. The new 6-6-6 rule seems to make centre clearances more important than ever and that all starts in the ruck. Beyond that we also need more contribution around the ground from the WC big boys. Dawson Simpson might be a hard task in ruck contests with his 210cm frame but he is not young and not agile. If he can be worn down I think we have a chance to get an advantage here.

Sheppard v Greene:
Now rumours are (stemming from a Leon Cameron press conference) that the aforementioned Greene may sit out of this trip due to the short break and long travel as he attempts to get his body right. However, if he does play he will be a critical player to stop. Of the last 5 games we have played against GWS he has played in their 3 wins kicking 8 goals total and accumulating plenty of ball in the forward half. We have won the two games he missed. Who better to quell his influence than everybody’s favourite good looking rooster of the team, Brad Sheppard. This can be the game where he makes a big statement in the quest for a AA jumper and finally some real recognition

Cognilio v Hutchings?:
I am not sure whether this is the match-up the coaches will choose for Hutch. However if he does it is a critical role for our tagger. Cognilio has emerged as an absolute elite midfielder in the last year or so and can be a real weapon with his skills, 2-way running and footy smarts. Now the critical role for Hutchings of course is as our recruitment team’s ambassador. Hutchings knows as well as anyone what it is like to move back to one’s home state of WA to taste premiership success. Oh and it would be nice to shut Cogs down for this game, if only to give him plenty of time to think.

Simmo v (Leon) Cameron:
Another battle between these two former Hawthorn assistant coaches. I personally have my questions about Cameron’s lack of results given the quality that has been at his disposal since he took the reins and it will be a important year for him. Simmo answered his critics in emphatic style last year. That’s about all I have to say here.

Sheed v anyone who could steal 3 votes off him:
View attachment 643147
"So Brownlow, how about me and you meet up one night in September. Can you wait that long?"

6 months after a ripping finals series capped off by THAT goal Dom has continued to truly emerge as a gun midfielder able to accumulate big numbers and distribute with good skills. It is only a matter of time before Dom has this year’s Brownlow wrapped up so let’s keep this party rolling.

McGovern v The Whopper Goal:
I know this is the one I will be looking for. Our boy Gov has been looking lean and hungry early this year which coincides with a bit of a sub-par game last week. I say let him rip some barrels running off the halfback line to earn himself (and us) a good old feed.

View attachment 643148
"Delivery to Optus Stadium Victoria Park Dr, Burswood WA 6100 please. I'll meet you around the back"

*PS I assume this deal is actually still happening, right?

Prediction: WC by 4 Oscar Allen Goals

PS Apologies for the wait, I missed the notifications that I had been assigned this match as a substitution
Very niiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Noice one!! Apart from the grinning mug of Groby Teene!
No Rioli...ouch.
JK and Cripps should straighten us up, will it be enough?
4 points would be sweet as, to get on the board.
Hope we unfurl the real team as well as the flag!?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive game already. Mt Fiji set up our entire season last year in that early run of wins. Its what saved us when injuries decimated our forwardline. We cant be headed to Collingwood already 0 and 2 with so many players out or underdone.

Massive game already. Mt Fiji set up our entire season last year in that early run of wins. Its what saved us when injuries decimated our forwardline. We cant be headed to Collingwood already 0 and 2 with so many players out or underdone.
Mt. Fiji !! :thumbsu:
Facing Collingwood @ 0-2, it is possible of course. Hopefully Rioli be back then,
and the team responds big time against the Jolly Giants!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back