Review Round 23, 2019 - Richmond vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I must say. I like going to the opposition board and seeing their take on ours games each week, it's always enjoyable. The Tigers board is an absolute pit of a thing. It is seriously worse than FB quality. No dissection of the game or interesting discussion in the lead up, just poorly written one liners about how how good they are or a stupid nicknames for another teams. It is 5 times worse than the Pies or anything else you will see.

If you compare it to say Geelong's, it makes the Geelong board last week look like a Harvard lecture. Their attitude is insufferable.

Bigfooty is such an awesome tool. I honestly feel sorry for their semi intelligent supporters that their board is full of such unintelligent tripe each week, it's basically unusable if you went there for genuine discussion.
How do you think we look, to them?

This sort of analysis is funny because we are just as bad as every other club.

I must say. I like going to the opposition board and seeing their take on ours games each week, it's always enjoyable. The Tigers board is an absolute pit of a thing. It is seriously worse than FB quality. No dissection of the game or interesting discussion in the lead up, just poorly written one liners about how how good they are or a stupid nicknames for another teams. It is 5 times worse than the Pies or anything else you will see.

If you compare it to say Geelong's, it makes the Geelong board last week look like a Harvard lecture. Their attitude is insufferable.

Bigfooty is such an awesome tool. I honestly feel sorry for their semi intelligent supporters that their board is full of such unintelligent tripe each week, it's basically unusable if you went there for genuine discussion.

I only visit the North board. Don't even bother with others. This is a terrible place to keep your calm after a loss after reading trash from other supporters.

The difference in the game was the first quarter and we changed 2 things in our game after that which led to the improvement and going 6.8/6.6 after quarter time. Unfortunately we were too far behind by that point as well as not being helped by a few bad mistakes that gifted them goals and also we clearly started to tire in the last quarter.

My best, Martin, Neale, Zorko, Clugg, Hodge. Poorer performances than for a while from McCarthy, Gardiner, Witherden, Bailey, McStay, Cameron, Berry.

What did we change?

Going forward in the first quarter we constantly kicked blind (which has been working for us most of the season) and their defenders were easily able to intercept even when it was 6 on 6. We started to actually spot up our kicks inside 50 and that worked better for us (although Richmond were still picking off some rushed kicks). I couldn't believe the number of times Richmond defenders wrapped up our forwards (CHarlie especially) for no free kicks. At least they paid a few against Lynch at the other end for his early contact/holds on Harris.

In defence in the first quarter their fast breaks cut us apart completely and we kept rolling up from defence trying to cut them off up the field but their run through the middle would overrun that and eventually they had the extra player inside 50 to make an easy pass to. Adams was completely isolated on Riewoldt in the first quarter and he couldn't do much about the goals against him. After the first quarter it was very noticeable that we went back to one of Hodge/Rich/Witherden lying deep as a quarterback. This mean that if we rolled forward to defend up the pitch we had a spare at the back to stay ahead on numbers.

Overall as many have said to have had so many mistakes over the course of the game and to have had that first quarter "blowout" and only lose by 26 points I thought was a great outcome.

In the last quarter you could see a lot of our players were struggling physically and it was reminiscent of the Carlton game in that respect. You could see players have a contest, stop, realise they needed to go again and have to make a conscious decision to do it. The weeks break will be massive for a lot of players.

onwards and upwards at the Gabba

Some of our guys looked a bit like a deer in the headlights early, this game will be a massive bonus for Grand Final day, we will definitely learn from this, we have the best teaching/learning coach in the business, no need to panic. Take it to the bank the only change will be Bundy in for Cedric.

#trustinfages

I know Cox was exposed a few times early but he played a lot better after half time . He just lacks the competitive intensity you need to compete in this sort of game but it'll come.

We did have a few guys who looked tired today . Neale Zorko Robinson and Hodge didn't and some of the other guys need to use them as a benchmark for the level you need to bring.

How do you think we look, to them?

This sort of analysis is funny because we are just as bad as every other club.

I disagree, its just because they get more traffic. I think it is a noticably poor board, mainly in comparison to others. We are cheeky and jump on oppo supporters pretty quick when they visit, but we talk a pretty reasonable level most of the time.

The difference in the game was the first quarter and we changed 2 things in our game after that which led to the improvement and going 6.8/6.6 after quarter time. Unfortunately we were too far behind by that point as well as not being helped by a few bad mistakes that gifted them goals and also we clearly started to tire in the last quarter.

My best, Martin, Neale, Zorko, Clugg, Hodge. Poorer performances than for a while from McCarthy, Gardiner, Witherden, Bailey, McStay, Cameron, Berry.

What did we change?

Going forward in the first quarter we constantly kicked blind (which has been working for us most of the season) and their defenders were easily able to intercept even when it was 6 on 6. We started to actually spot up our kicks inside 50 and that worked better for us (although Richmond were still picking off some rushed kicks). I couldn't believe the number of times Richmond defenders wrapped up our forwards (CHarlie especially) for no free kicks. At least they paid a few against Lynch at the other end for his early contact/holds on Harris.

In defence in the first quarter their fast breaks cut us apart completely and we kept rolling up from defence trying to cut them off up the field but their run through the middle would overrun that and eventually they had the extra player inside 50 to make an easy pass to. Adams was completely isolated on Riewoldt in the first quarter and he couldn't do much about the goals against him. After the first quarter it was very noticeable that we went back to one of Hodge/Rich/Witherden lying deep as a quarterback. This mean that if we rolled forward to defend up the pitch we had a spare at the back to stay ahead on numbers.

Overall as many have said to have had so many mistakes over the course of the game and to have had that first quarter "blowout" and only lose by 26 points I thought was a great outcome.

In the last quarter you could see a lot of our players were struggling physically and it was reminiscent of the Carlton game in that respect. You could see players have a contest, stop, realise they needed to go again and have to make a conscious decision to do it. The weeks break will be massive for a lot of players.

onwards and upwards at the Gabba

Very interesting. Stef martin best? Gee i thought Soldo was very good for them.

I had a Tigers supporter next to me today who was the typical one eyed bogan. Every free kick the Lions got was a disgrace according to him and when the Tigers got a free it was obvious and should have included a 50m free kick as well! Absolute muppet.

Most of us are biased to our team but who goes to the footy thinking every free kick the opposition gets is wrong ! I was embarrassed for him.

Im not surprised there board is a reflection of this.

Really hope we beat them in a fortnight.

We get more out of that game than does Richmond. It’s almost every second week they get to play at the ‘G’ 😳 however we went down there and the we will be better for the experience. When we play them in 2weeks time what we brought in the third quarter will what we will have to bring for the entirety. Can’t wait, very, very pumped.

Interesting opening comment considering they got a double chance out of it!

Hopefully in 2 weeks we don't allow Richmond to be able to contest in our forward line with + 1 EVERY contest. Majority of time we kicked inside 50 Tigers always had one extra in contest and when ball hit the ground they always seemed to be first to the ball with support. Sometimes i swear blind thought they had 1 or 2 extra on the field when they out number us in defense and then when they started running the ball with handball out of defense through the middle they always seemed to outnumber as well. I reckon we have plenty of upside out of this game. Did not think we played well as a team. Charlies shot in the pocket early on when Zorko was at top of square calling for it then went up other end of ground when Jack soccered to his tiger teammate off the ground to set up a good team goal. Notice people talking about Charlie been held when ball miles away. I can tell you in one incident when charlie was held and the ball fell 20 metres short of the contest i was watching the umpire and he was not even looking at cameron being held in the contest. He was looking where the ball landed. Thought the whole idea of the 3 umpires was to have eyes virtually eveywhere on the field.
Tidy up some things and feel we have more upside than Richmond out of todays game.

They blew us apart in the first qtr with quick ball movement through the corridor. They play the spare man down back and do it well rebounding and overlapping and when they win the ball at half back there mids always move to the centre of the ground. Very well set up in that regard. Poor Marcus Adams had no chance on Riewoldt with the delivery he was getting in the first. That said I would play Gardiner on him at the Gabba.

After qtr time we seemed to slow them down and deny them the corridor. We actually dominated the contested ball and clearances and Neale was simply brilliant.

Third qtr we smashed in hard and got a bit of run on and we had them worried. The advantage they get with the extra in defence means they are one less around the contest and we took advantage of that but we wasted a lot of kicks into forward 50. Too much bombing it in.

All and all I wasn't too concerned. They will be very hard to beat at the G regardless who they play but up at the GABBA I think we can really take it to them. Also hope Charlie gets a bit more help from the umpires. Couple times today Grimes had him in a bear hug 20m off the ball.

Special mention to Zorko and McCluggage who along with Lachie all had brilliant games. I felt sorry for Brandon Ellis. McCluggage turned him inside out like a washing machine so often today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I missed the 2nd half so I'm not too sure how to feel about that result. The main thing is that we need to do a better job of denying them loose players in the back half, that was the origin of all their quick ball movement.
We had more possession, more inside 50s, more free kicks, better disposal efficiency, more clearances, marks and tackles.
We had half as many marks inside 50 and more turn overs. Most of our forward entries were a kick in hope. Much of the time, we didn't even have a target. That seems to be the difference.
That's very Richmond, they're not a pretty team stats wise.

A couple of interesting stats from the game. Marks inside 50: Tigers 16, Lions 8. Tackles inside 50: Tigers 0 Lions 15. Clearly they were hitting targets inside 50, while we weren't, to the extent that they didn't even need to tackle in their forward 50, they just marked it and converted or isolated players because of quick ball movement. Vlaustin was huge for them in defence with 9 marks. I though Cedric Cox's effort was good, but that someone like Ben Keays whose marking has really improved this year and is that lttle bit taller might be someone we send to Vlaustin in 2 weeks time. We need to improve our forward entries and get back to our efficient best. I'm surprised by the suggestion that Bundy will be back in 3 weeks from a hammy, must have been a minor one. Edit: Ah, Fages says he'll be available so expect he'll come back in, we need defensive run.

Rayner had his best game for a while today and marked it well, and I thought Mcstay marked it well too. And we won centre clearances, so lots of positives. We need to deal with their pressure better and improve our ball use and run harder to deal with their spread. I think we can make these adjustments. Looking forward to playing them again and beating them when it matters.

Last edited:
The illegal holding of Cameron was beyond a joke, the umps just turned a blind eye to it all match. That said the tigers killed us on the overlap in the first half.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

A couple of interesting stats from the game. Marks inside 50: Tigers 16, Lions 8. Tackles inside 50: Tigers 0 Lions 15. Clearly they were hitting targets inside 50, while we weren't, to the extent that they didn't even need to tackle in their forward 50, they just marked it and converted or isolated players because of quick ball movement. Vlaustin was huge for them in defence with 9 marks. I though Cedric Cox's effort was good, but that someone like Ben Keays whose marking has really improved this year and is that lttle bit taller might be someone we send to Vlaustin in 2 weeks time. We need to improve our forward entries and get back to our efficient best. I'm surprised by the suggestion that Bundy will be back in 3 weeks from a hammy, must have been a minor one.

Rayner had his best game for a while today and marked it well, and I thought Mcstay marked it well too. And we won centre clearances, so lots of positives. We need to deal with their pressure better and improve our ball use and run harder to deal with their spread. I think we can make these adjustments. Looking forward to playing them again and beating them when it matters.
[/QUOTE
The illegal holding of Cameron was beyond a joke, the umps just turned a blind eye to it all match. That said the tigers killed us on the overlap in the first half.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Those at the game whose opinion I respect tell me he was holding him when the ball was 60/70m away and doing it all day. He didn't get one free for it.

We need to make it known so it's a different story at the Gabba.

Fages was very cagey in his comments post match but I sensed a little niggle there.

Just finished watching. Thought McStay had an awful game imo. If he isn't going to kick goals, then his main focus is to stop intercept marks. They were intercepting the entire time.

Richmond seemed to have free players everwhere, was infuriating. All game. Dunno if our defensive running was off but they nearly always had the overlap. Fagan said we weren't shy/overawed etc. Reckon we definitly were, at least for the 1st quarter.
Thought Cox, came into the game, however he will be out for Christensen

Just finished watching. Thought McStay had an awful game imo. If he isn't going to kick goals, then his main focus is to stop intercept marks. They were intercepting the entire time.

Richmond seemed to have free players everwhere, was infuriating. All game. Dunno if our defensive running was off but they nearly always had the overlap. Fagan said we weren't shy/overawed etc. Reckon we definitly were, at least for the 1st quarter.
Thought Cox, came into the game, however he will be out for Christensen
He seems to have dropped off lately . Today he just wasn't getting to the contest but the delivery wasn't flash.

I don't really know what to make of him at the moment . I've always thought he was a defender and he's a lot surer by foot up the ground . Like a couple of others there's a really good player in there just lacking some polish and consistency.

One thing richmond do pretty well is draw opposition players into tackle and then squirt a handball out to their runners. They line up and off they go.
I thought we tackled well at times today but not for long enough. Some of the missed tackles cost us goals.

We cut the marks they took in our 50 in half and I think we are right in it next time.

They blew us apart in the first qtr with quick ball movement through the corridor. They play the spare man down back and do it well rebounding and overlapping and when they win the ball at half back there mids always move to the centre of the ground. Very well set up in that regard. Poor Marcus Adams had no chance on Riewoldt with the delivery he was getting in the first. That said I would play Gardiner on him at the Gabba.

After qtr time we seemed to slow them down and deny them the corridor. We actually dominated the contested ball and clearances and Neale was simply brilliant.

Third qtr we smashed in hard and got a bit of run on and we had them worried. The advantage they get with the extra in defence means they are one less around the contest and we took advantage of that but we wasted a lot of kicks into forward 50. Too much bombing it in.

All and all I wasn't too concerned. They will be very hard to beat at the G regardless who they play but up at the GABBA I think we can really take it to them. Also hope Charlie gets a bit more help from the umpires. Couple times today Grimes had him in a bear hug 20m off the ball.

Special mention to Zorko and McCluggage who along with Lachie all had brilliant games. I felt sorry for Brandon Ellis. McCluggage turned him inside out like a washing machine so often today.

I agree with Darc should get 1t crack at Reidwoldt next match, But what do we do with Adams then.
Even on the telecast the holding on Charlie off the ball was so blatant.
The one who absolutely destroyed us was, Vlaustin an absolute gun. I would put Robbo on him as that defensive forward and make him accountable, his intercept marking and precision kicking set up so much of their play.

Back